What was MASN thinking during Roberts' first at bat?

Frobby

Conversely, Joe Angle did a great job on the radio broadcast. He stopped talking so that you could hear the crowd and his call for the hit could have been that for a game winning hit. Joe Angle really is a pleasure to listen to.

That's the difference between having people who understand the Orioles and people who just try and put together a templated TV broadcast.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel did a good job on the radio. Sorry I don't have a clip, but he basically just said "Let's listen to the ovation for Brian Roberts" and then - other announcers take note - WAS QUIET for a few seconds.

After Roberts got the base hit, he said something like "Where have you BEEN Brian Roberts - we've missed you!", or something along those lines. And he was careful to report about Brian diving safely back into the bag, etc.

Basically, he seemed to understand that importance of the moment more than the MASN guys, apparently. I did not see the MASN coverage, but if it was as non-chalant as has been said here, do you think that was possibly at Brian's request? Maybe he didn't want a big deal made about it? I don't know, but it seems pretty remarkable that they wouldn't milk that moment.

But Rick Dempsey did tell us how the Pirates were going to have account for Roberts' stealing ability after his hit despite the fact that Dempsey had a better chance of stealing abase then Roberts did in his first game back.

For all the people complaining that live less than 30 minutes away, you should have went.

This is just an idiotic statement. Do you really live in a world where you expect every Orioles fan to go to every game if they live within 30 minutes of the stadium?

MASN's incompetence extends to the website as well. How often does the featured picture in the Orioles section not match up with the player discussed in the blog post? Even worse, how often do they accidentally have a National picture featured in the Orioles section? MASN is just a horrible product all around.

MASN's incompetence extends to the website as well. How often does the featured picture in the Orioles section not match up with the player discussed in the blog post? Even worse, how often do they accidentally have a National picture featured in the Orioles section? MASN is just a horrible product all around.

Disagree with that. Both Roch and Melewski are good at what they do.

I also LOVE the team of Thorne and Palmer, so they've got that working for them.

OH! And Amber... :hearts:

Did it not occur to MASN that we might like to hear BRob's name being called over the loudspeaker? That we might want to see him walking up to the plate for the first time? That we might like to see the crowd give him an ovation? Did they really think we cared about the three stupid keys to Brad Lincoln? Do they have no common sense at all?

Was thinking the same thing last night.

Disagree with that. Both Roch and Melewski are good at what they do.

I also LOVE the team of Thorne and Palmer, so they've got that working for them.

OH! And Amber... :hearts:

Thorne is excellent, and Palmer is too. Roch is great. But I am referring to production quality, not personnel. MASN's final product has got to rank 29th out of the 30 teams (tied with Nats, of course).

Thorne is excellent, and Palmer is too. Roch is great. But I am referring to production quality, not personnel. MASN's final product has got to rank 29th out of the 30 teams (tied with Nats, of course).

I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

Okay, I can't. Whenever DirecTV gives us the free Extra Innings Week, I watch a good amount of games in that week, and I can tell you without any hesitation, there are FAR inferior products out there than MASN. And to me, its hard to beat Thorne and Palmer in the booth. They entertain me, and crack me up, and Palmer knows things that add to the game. That's all I ask for, since I am tuning to mainly to "watch" anyway.

Eh, it's local broadcast. What do you expect? The national broadcasts are so much better. It's just frustrating that whenever we get an ESPN game it's blacked out for MASN. Maybe if it was scheduled before the season started it wouldn't be the case.

I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

Okay, I can't. Whenever DirecTV gives us the free Extra Innings Week, I watch a good amount of games in that week, and I can tell you without any hesitation, there are FAR inferior products out there than MASN. And to me, its hard to beat Thorne and Palmer in the booth. They entertain me, and crack me up, and Palmer knows things that add to the game. That's all I ask for, since I am tuning to mainly to "watch" anyway.

I agree with this. I have MLBtv and watch some games on other networks sometimes, and I can tell you that MASN is right at the top. Now, the Giants (with Miller) and the Dodgers (Scully) are good games to watch. A lot of the midwest teams have terrible broadcasts

Then when Endy Chavez pulled a hammy, Rick Dempsey said, (paraphrasing) "When the weather is hot and sticky like this, guys tend to pull muscles..." WTF?!?! Actually, Rick, I spoke with science and it says when the weather is COLD guys are more susceptible to pulling muscles.

To be fair to Dempsey he's not completely off base on this one. Obviously it's easier to warm up and stay loose in warm weather, but that doesn't mean these guys aren't at risk of pulls and strains. When it gets hot and humid these guys are sweating alot and if they aren't hydrating properly they run the risk of injuring theirselves. Dehydration can lead to a decrease in muscle flexibility and endurance which increases the risk of a pull or strain.

Eh, it's local broadcast. What do you expect? The national broadcasts are so much better. It's just frustrating that whenever we get an ESPN game it's blacked out for MASN. Maybe if it was scheduled before the season started it wouldn't be the case.

Who on ESPN do you want to listen to call an Oriole game? Francona? Herschiser? Nah, screw ESPN. I'd prefer MASN.

This is just an idiotic statement. Do you really live in a world where you expect every Orioles fan to go to every game if they live within 30 minutes of the stadium?

How many times do I need to explain myself. Did you read the rest of the thread?

EDIT: No need but do not call me an idiot.

To be fair to Dempsey he's not completely off base on this one. Obviously it's easier to warm up and stay loose in warm weather, but that doesn't mean these guys aren't at risk of pulls and strains. When it gets hot and humid these guys are sweating alot and if they aren't hydrating properly they run the risk of injuring theirselves. Dehydration can lead to a decrease in muscle flexibility and endurance which increases the risk of a pull or strain.

I get that the heat and sweat can lead to dehydration but that's not what he said. He said that hot weather causes these injuries. It doesn't.

If he didn't have a habit of allowing mindless, misleading, and (at times) flat out incorrect information to fall out of his mouth during broadcasts I might not be so critical.

Archived