Jim Hunter: Orioles Looking For Veteran Arm - Mentioned Chicago

Brendan25

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many of those deals were the O's buying players, and not selling?

It's easy to get more value in return when you're selling.

All the more reason not to buy.

Big, obvious, blockbuster deals for big-time targets that people on message boards discuss is not the way to build a successful team; just ask the Seattle Mariners, or the most recent example, the S.F. Giants.

If we could get Dempster and Carlos Quentin, i'd prolly cream everywhere

Cream related grossness aside, Quentin intrigues me as well. Moving forward, LF, 3B, and SP are our biggest concern and if the Padres are interested in a fire sale a Headley, Quentin, Volquez blockbuster would be a dream scenario. Headley is a beast defensively and brings some serious on base potential and would slide seamlessly in the #2 spot allowing Buck to drop Hardy in the lineup. And Volquez, although not the best pitcher in the world is a solid #3/4 pitcher when healthy and will do enough to keep the O's in ball games. I bring this up not because it's realistic (it isn't) but because I had two questions:

1. What would it take to get all three?

2. Would this be more or less than it would take to get Garza/Dempster straight up? I'm not so sure we need a Garza/Greinke/Hammels type (at the cost it would take to get them) and that DD would be better off trading for pieces.

Cream related grossness aside, Quentin intrigues me as well. Moving forward, LF, 3B, and SP are our biggest concern and if the Padres are interested in a fire sale a Headley, Quentin, Volquez blockbuster would be a dream scenario. Headley is a beast defensively and brings some serious on base potential and would slide seamlessly in the #2 spot allowing Buck to drop Hardy in the lineup. And Volquez, although not the best pitcher in the world is a solid #3/4 pitcher when healthy and will do enough to keep the O's in ball games. I bring this up not because it's realistic (it isn't) but because I had two questions:

1. What would it take to get all three?

2. Would this be more or less than it would take to get Garza/Dempster straight up? I'm not so sure we need a Garza/Greinke/Hammels type (at the cost it would take to get them) and that DD would be better off trading for pieces.

I would not mind the O's getting GG or H.

Gurthrie: Career ERA+ as an Oriole 106

Garza: Career ERA+ 108, including a 99 this year

I know it's basic human psychology, but it's always funny to watch the grass is greener syndrome in action. We had a thread yesterday about reacquiring Guthrie and many of the same people that were against it, would be jumping for joy w the addition of Garza.

Irrespective of people's reactions, I think Garza is a solid #3, and would certainly help this team right now, but I can't advocate mortgaging the future in order to do it. That means none of the big 4, and that means we won't get him. I would much prefer a cheaper option and I hope that's where the organization looks first.

If you guys think Reynolds is a bad defensive 3B, then you would want to kill Carlos Quentin. This is a guy who had a -0.5 WAR in 2009 and 0.0 WAR in 2010, despite an OPS of .779 and .821, respectively.

He had a positive defensive rating last year (barely, but still positive), but I'm not willing to believe that that's anything more than a lucky season. He has a career -31.4 UZR.

Per MLBTR:

Amid heavy trade talk, Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster had a long chat with Theo Epstein in the stands of Wrigley Field before today's game, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com. Dempster told Muskat that the two discussed an upcoming fundraiser. Meanwhile, some execs believe that the hurler could be moved early, perhaps even before the All-Star break.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/nl-central-notes-dempster-cubs-brewers-appel.html

Could it be the O's...??? :noidea:

Hopefully if we trade for a rental, the contract will be for more than just this year. According to the new CBA, to get a comp pick when you lose a FA, the player has to have been with the team for at least a year. Meaning that you can't pull a deal for a half season rental mid-season, let the guy walk, and get the sandwich pick (no more taking the true first round pick in any scenario though).

Just as long as its not Bundy, Machado, or Schoop. I'm fine with anyone else leaving for a solid pitcher.

Naturally it all depends on the trade...but often times we've been too high on our own prospects and we haven't leveraged them to the fullest extent. Bundy would be off limits, but for the right trade...I think we should be open to trading anyone else.

Naturally it all depends on the trade...but often times we've been too high on our own prospects and we haven't leveraged them to the fullest extent. Bundy would be off limits, but for the right trade...I think we should be open to trading anyone else.

I'd trade anybody in the system, including Bundy. However, what starting pitcher that is available is worthy of one of our top four prospects? I can't think of one.

Archived