Bryce Harper gives it to Canadian reporter

CA-ORIOLE

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is one way to put it. Question was more rhetorical then not. I will be amazed and astounded if Harper takes a couple years off from MLB to be a missionary.

I can't remember where I read it, but it discussed, Mormon athletes who did not take their mission. Harper was listed as one who will not. I don't think Jimmer fredette did. I think the article was a cover story from SI about the top rated high school basketball player.

I don't know enough about the religion to understand how not going is viewed.

He answered like a douchebag because he is a douchebag. OK, he's young, but that's really only about 10% of the reason for his crap. Sure it's a goofy question. Harper could have left it with "I'm not going to answer that question" but he had to go out of his way to mock the guy. He'll destroy a clubhouse eventually.

It's really hard to argue with this at least from the perspective the fans see. Harper plays hard, but from all accounts the guy's ego is other wordly as his talent. He could have handled that situation a 1000 different ways, all of which would have been better than calling the guy a clown. I thought the question was innocent enough and if he was witty, he would have found a way to make light of the question rather than respond with his clown comment. I see Harper having a long career in a lot of different uniforms.

It's really hard to argue with this at least from the perspective the fans see. Harper plays hard, but from all accounts the guy's ego is other wordly as his talent. He could have handled that situation a 1000 different ways, all of which would have been better than calling the guy a clown. I thought the question was innocent enough and if he was witty, he would have found a way to make light of the question rather than respond with his clown comment. I see Harper having a long career in a lot of different uniforms.

I don't, I see him signing a 12 year deal with the Yankees the winter he hits free agency.

Obviously the kid has a lot of talent. Being from LV we heard a lot about him from a very young age.

I can see in him though some shades of a ballplayer who's career was always littered with issues, and that is Milton Bradley. He's all ready giving so much attitude towards the umpires and slamming his bat around like a spoiled kid who thinks he's privileged. He will fit in absolutely perfectly when he is wearing Yankee pinstripes.

I'm so #$&%ing jealous. Seriously. I wish this kid were playing for us....but nope. The Orioles can't even lose right.
Honestly, I'd trade in the rest of this season and probably next season to have that kid on our team for his entire career. Whatever. He's that good.

JTrea seems to have hacked Moose's account. ; )

I don't know if you've had a chance to see Harper much off the field. In the clubhouse? Talking to regular people, etc.? I try not to judge people by the way they carry themselves, dress, etc. But just everything the guy does screams arrogant jackhole. Somehow I don't think that age is going to cure his lack of, umm, interpersonal skills.

As the resident Mormon on the board I'll chime in. It's pretty obvious it was a smart alec set-up question from the reporter. Could Harper have handled in more maturely? Probably. However, he probably has fielded several questions like that from guys who think they're being funny. From my own personal experience, I try to be light hearted about it....but it does get old after about the 5000th time. The two-year LDS mission has received a lot of attention over the past few months over those who have gone (Elizabeth Smart, David Archuleta), those who have not gone (Bryce Harper) and those who might go (Jabari Parker aka "The Next LeBron"). Practicing Mormon males between the age of 19-26 are encouraged to go by the Church to serve a full-time two-year mission but not required. Missionaries do not choose where they go, rather they are assigned to one of the 300+ domestic or international missions and pays 10-15K for the privilege. I chose to forego my Master's program at Towson in 2000 to serve a two-year mission. Naturally, the day your two-year mission call comes in the mail is one of the most anticipated, celebrated and defining days of a young Mormon's life. Harper has stated on multiple occassions that he wants to serve his mission for the LDS Church "on the field" (by example). When one has millions of dollars staring them in the face, the decision to serve a church mission is much more challenging and hence, less judged.

Thanks for the input. I will say that Guthrie and Shawn Bradley both had large sums of money staring them in the face when they decided to do their missions.

Not being a Mormon I am certainly not judging him on his personal choice.

Shawn Bradley certainly did. Guthrie spent his first year at BYU before leaving on his mission to Spain. He really only became a prospect after that when he transferred. In 1994, McKay Christensen was drafted in the first round by the White Sox and turned down a million dollar signing bonus to go. Just as an FYI, Matt Lindstrom is also a Mormon who served a two-year mission to Sweden.

Archived