Kyle Hoppy released

xian4

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyler Townsend has hit well at every level, just can't stay healthy. If his body stops betraying him, he could be a decent player.

The two Berrys (Ryan and Tim) still have some prospect potential. Ryan is working back from surgery. Tim had good peripherals, lousy ERA at Delmarva and was just promoted to Frederick. At 21, he's on the younger side for A+, and if he has success there over the rest of the season could be a B-level prospect (very similar to B Bundy last year).

David Baker is still a prospect (21 at Delmarva, was good there last year), though not a good one. Needs a midseason promotion to Frederick, and better results.

Aaron Wirsch is only going to be 21 this year. Anybody know what happened to him?

All of which is to say that, yes, this was a terrible draft and may be the worst ever for the O's. Still, it's too soon to say for sure that no major leaguers will come out of it. Not that I wouldn't bet that way, at this point.

So out of that draft, Ty Kelly is our best prospect? I'd like to say Townsend but my goodness he can never stay healthy.

And out of all of those guys (correct me if I'm wrong), only Townsend is at AA? LOL

I would give Townsend, Kelly, T. Berry, R. Berry the only chance to do anything. Oh, and Randy Henry except we traded him.

yes, this was a terrible draft and may be the worst ever for the O's.

Take a look at the 1998 draft sometime. The name you'll remember the most is Steve Bechler. And we had a sandwich pick and two twos that year. (I've sometimes wondered if Gillick was so irritated with Angelos by that time he just said screw this.)

The best pick that year was Cliff Lee --- yes, that Cliff Lee --- at #20, who didn't sign.

So out of that draft, Ty Kelly is our best prospect? I'd like to say Townsend but my goodness he can never stay healthy.

And out of all of those guys (correct me if I'm wrong), only Townsend is at AA? LOL

I would give Townsend, Kelly, T. Berry, R. Berry the only chance to do anything. Oh, and Randy Henry except we traded him.

Here are the guys from that draft who are still active with the Orioles and where they are:

1 - Hobgood - extended spring training (reached Delmarva)

2 - Givens - Delmarva

3 - Townsend - Bowie

5 - Tolliver - extended spring training (reached Frederick)

6 - Dalles - Frederick

7 - Wirsch - Aberdeen

9 - R. Berry - Frederick

11-Ohlman - suspended (reached Delmarva)

12-Bumbry - Bowie

13-Kelly - Frederick (reached Norfolk)

14-Baker - Delmarva (reached Frederick)

16-Palsha - extended spring training (reached Delmarva)

19-Schutz - Bowie

22-Coffey - extended spring training (reached GCL)

27-Planeta - Delmarva (reached Frederick)

30-Webb - Delmarva

31-Flacco - Frederick (reached Bowie)

50 - T. Berry - Frederick

Tyler Townsend has hit well at every level, just can't stay healthy. If his body stops betraying him, he could be a decent player.

The two Berrys (Ryan and Tim) still have some prospect potential. Ryan is working back from surgery. Tim had good peripherals, lousy ERA at Delmarva and was just promoted to Frederick. At 21, he's on the younger side for A+, and if he has success there over the rest of the season could be a B-level prospect (very similar to B Bundy last year).

David Baker is still a prospect (21 at Delmarva, was good there last year), though not a good one. Needs a midseason promotion to Frederick, and better results.

Aaron Wirsch is only going to be 21 this year. Anybody know what happened to him?

All of which is to say that, yes, this was a terrible draft and may be the worst ever for the O's. Still, it's too soon to say for sure that no major leaguers will come out of it. Not that I wouldn't bet that way, at this point.

Heard he blew his elbow back out after Tommy John and will have to go back for another one. I don't have this confirmed though.

This is going to be tough to beat as "worst Orioles draft of all time":

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/83063-2009-Draft-Signing-Tracker

Am I right, could we conceivably never get a single win out of this draft class?
Take a look at the 1998 draft sometime. The name you'll remember the most is Steve Bechler. And we had a sandwich pick and two twos that year. (I've sometimes wondered if Gillick was so irritated with Angelos by that time he just said screw this.)

The best pick that year was Cliff Lee --- yes, that Cliff Lee --- at #20, who didn't sign.

Yes, the '98 draft sets an impressively low bar. Wow. The only two players who had any ML value didn't sign with the Os.

If the Berrys get a cup of coffee and Townsend's hammy holds together for a couple of September call-ups, 2009 may not be the worst Os' draft of all time after all. Time will tell.

Sorry, I don't think this draft comes anywhere close to the worst compared with our late 90's drafts at least. 1995 we had two guys make the majors, David Dellucci and Calvin Pickering. 1998, we had Rick Elder who, did he ever make it out of extended spring?? Now I will say, I think this is the worst draft in the information era where you can pull up video online of just about every high school and college player in the US, but still, not one of our worst drafts....yet.

Sorry, I don't think this draft comes anywhere close to the worst compared with our late 90's drafts at least. 1995 we had two guys make the majors, David Dellucci and Calvin Pickering. 1998, we had Rick Elder who, did he ever make it out of extended spring?? Now I will say, I think this is the worst draft in the information era where you can pull up video online of just about every high school and college player in the US, but still, not one of our worst drafts....yet.

It's definitely on its way. David Dellucci would be the best pick in this draft right now.

Heard he blew his elbow back out after Tommy John and will have to go back for another one. I don't have this confirmed though.

Thanks, Tony. Too bad.

I should have given Kipp Schutz a mention in my post above, as well. He's not a prospect, really, since he's too old and not athletic enough, but he's been a solid minor league player at three levels now. He had a nice game when I went to see Bundy pitch, really played it the right way. Not that it redeems the draft, but getting a decent organizational soldier at round 19 isn't terrible.

Did the Orioles really give almost $1M to a high school pitcher that they drafted in the 22nd round?.....seriously!!

22 656 Cameron Coffey LHP Houston Christian HS Texas (August 12) $990,000

Then I found this Feb, 2012, mention by Steve Melewski:

"Left-hander Cameron Coffey went 4-3 with an ERA of 2.21 last summer in the Gulf Coast League but has been able to pitch just 47 2/3 innings combined the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery in high school. Reports indicate that Coffey has struggled to regain his pre-surgery fastball velocity and sat in the mid-80s last summer."

So now I would ask: Did the Orioles really give almost $1M to a high school pitcher, who has already had Tommy John surgery, that they drafted in the 22nd round?.....SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

Did the Orioles really give almost $1M to a high school pitcher that they drafted in the 22nd round?.....seriously!!

22 656 Cameron Coffey LHP Houston Christian HS Texas (August 12) $990,000

Then I found this Feb, 2012, mention by Steve Melewski:

"Left-hander Cameron Coffey went 4-3 with an ERA of 2.21 last summer in the Gulf Coast League but has been able to pitch just 47 2/3 innings combined the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery in high school. Reports indicate that Coffey has struggled to regain his pre-surgery fastball velocity and sat in the mid-80s last summer."

So now I would ask: Did the Orioles really give almost $1M to a high school pitcher, who has already had Tommy John surgery, that they drafted in the 22nd round?.....SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

In hindsight a bad pick but at the time he was a left handed pitcher who touched 97? and had a very strong commitment to Duke. I will admit to being pleased they signed him.

Coffey was supposed to be a stud. I know last year he was still trying to get his fastball back, but I can't find anything on him this year.

As noted elsewhere, he is on the Aberdeen roster.

Horribly depressing thread. The Hobgood pick was absolutely atrocious. Yes, Jordan definitely went cheap so that we could sign a bunch of over-slot guys like Coffeey. Just horrible. Imagine having Zack Wheeler who went #6 to SF, one spot behind Hobgood. I'm sick at my stomach.

Archived