Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

It might stop being the top hit for "Orioles forum" searches and not bring in as many new members, and things like that. You may be able to do better with a 100% Orioles focus. Also I don't care for the Ravens and I don't want the forum to turn black and purple!

We would not change to a Ravens centric design. Probably a Black and yellow type of deal since that's Baltimore's colors but honestly I haven't played with designs yet.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I echo your statements regarding the absence of some of our more grumpy posters and the enjoyment of fresh opinions. This has proven to be a positive development.

I prefer OH, but you could change the name to "Camel Humpers" and I would remain loyal.

Orange is my favorite color.

Tony, you've got the Midas Touch and I'm confident whatever changes you make will be constructive.

I really like OH and the orange. I think it's all part of a brand that is pretty well established.

As for the prospect tracker, I think it's a great way to keep the prospect discussion centered and organized. My only concern would lie in the difficulty that may make finding statistics, etc., but there's always other avenues to get that anyway.

Tony - completely your call. After all the years and time you've put into this site - the best site on the web - you deserve whatever you'll get by tweaking it's public footprint.

I, for one, will stick to the Orioles-related topics.

I'd also like to echo thanks to Weams and the rest of the current staff for taking up the ball so seamlessly this year.

I came here primarily as an Oriole fan, so I prefer the current name and colors of the site.

As to whether or not a name change would bring more exposure, I have no idea if it would. If you say it does, then I guess it does.

On the second point, I have no idea what C_o_C is talking about.

Joking?

The best way I have found to avoid being intimidated on message boards, aside from not taking them seriously to begin with, is to have a cohesive argument to back up your statements. It is disheartening to post a view only to have it get ravaged with you not being able to properly defend it.

Strong opinions are welcome from new members but strong opinions will bring disagreement.

Joking?

The best way I have found to avoid being intimidated on message boards, aside from not taking them seriously to begin with, is to have a cohesive argument to back up your statements. It is disheartening to post a view only to have it get ravaged with you not being able to properly defend it.

Strong opinions are welcome from new members but strong opinions will bring disagreement.

I would also add that it is a good thing to keep an open mind and be willing to learn and evolve. Sometimes, even your well backed, well thought out argument can be compromised by an even better analysis. That's okay. There is nothing wrong with learning and adding that new knowledge to your arsenal. Unfortunately there isn't enough of that type of mindset on message boards.

I like the Orioles Hangout name but I'll echo other posters in saying that it's not that big of a deal to me.

If you were to change the name, I would suggest have three different color schemes (Black/Orange, Black/Purple, Black/Red) for the posters to choose for themselves specifically.

I also love the cartoon bird logo that we have. Maybe if we had somebody make a similar logo with both a Raven and Terrapin and just put them all next together as one logo. I think that would look great.

Just some suggestions...

I'm definitely a lurker and probably only post when I've had one too many bourbons. I think maybe traffic is up because the Orioles are winning and attracting some of the closetted fans (not that there is anything wrong with that) and having Orioles in the site name helps direct them here. That said, I'm already signed up, so I have no preference!

We would not change to a Ravens centric design. Probably a Black and yellow type of deal since that's Baltimore's colors but honestly I haven't played with designs yet.

Black and Yellow reminds me of a certain city in western Pennsylvania. I know our options are probably limited but can we avoid that color scheme?

Although I'm new to posting (and very new to paying, just recently topping my 500 post mark), I'll weigh in with my 2 cents.

I have no issues with the board opening itself up and broadening it's focus. That said, I would strongly prefer the Orioles (and other sections) to be well divided as I come here for Orioles news and chats and don't take part any (or ever intend to take part in) any non-baseball section. I like others am not a fan of any other regional sports team and, as such have no interest in participating in conversations about them.

Overall, it's your choice and I commend you for reaching out for feedback. It's always good to get multiple opinions.

Archived