Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree this board is much more civilized of late. Being called stupid is a sure fire way to eventually run a lot of people off.

I really don't care what you change the name to.

Please do not change the colors to black and yellow. Those are the Steelers colors and I don't think this will go over well in Baltimore (especially since your content will be more Ravens themed (at least theoretically). I'd prefer any other color scheme to that one.

I echo your statements regarding the absence of some of our more grumpy posters and the enjoyment of fresh opinions. This has proven to be a positive development.

I prefer OH, but you could change the name to "Camel Toe Lovers" and I would remain loyal.

Orange is my favorite color.

Tony, you've got the Midas Touch and I'm confident whatever changes you make will be constructive.

Such a brown-nose! No birds for you! (spoken with soup nazi intonation)

I'm a fence straddler here and in life - whatevs Tony! Go for it! Or if Drungo has a more robust opinion, I'll go with that. :o

I remember a long time ago saying I would be thrilled to see bandwagon fans joining this site........because it would finally mean we are WINNING.

Nothing's changed......happy to see new people on the site because it comes with being relevant again, not just a cult of hopelessly devoted losers. :D

Black and Yellow reminds me of a certain city in western Pennsylvania. I know our options are probably limited but can we avoid that color scheme?

Good point and now that you brought it up, it reminded me why I didn't want that color scheme initially when I considered this.

I'm old, grizzled and set in my ways....which means that I hate change. It disrupts my otherwise calm "flow" through life. That said, I also understand that sometimes change is needed. I don't know the particulars for the desire, or perhaps the need, to change the Orioles Hangout, but I trust Tony has legitimate reasons and has the best interests of the Orioles Hangout at heart.

I definitely think the "new blood" make Orioles Hangout more interesting to read, even if I do occasionally have to bite my tongue....or at times force myself to stop laughing. Regardless, its refreshing and its good to see the Hangout growing.

If renamed the "Baltimore Sports Hangout," with a more generalized front page with links to pro teams and to local sports, would it be feasible to retain and expand the individual Orioles forums and message board......I like the orange and black for message board. And hopefully the plan will expand and add a "Ravens Hangout" forum and messageboard that would use Ravens purple. And maybe separate forums and message boards for local colleges and schools.

Although I'm new to posting (and very new to paying, just recently topping my 500 post mark), I'll weigh in with my 2 cents.

I have no issues with the board opening itself up and broadening it's focus. That said, I would strongly prefer the Orioles (and other sections) to be well divided as I come here for Orioles news and chats and don't take part any (or ever intend to take part in) any non-baseball section. I like others am not a fan of any other regional sports team and, as such have no interest in participating in conversations about them.

Overall, it's your choice and I commend you for reaching out for feedback. It's always good to get multiple opinions.

Thanks. Although I have to make the final decision, this is everyone's community so I feel strongly that you all should have a say in what or if we make any major changes.

Joking?

The best way I have found to avoid being intimidated on message boards, aside from not taking them seriously to begin with, is to have a cohesive argument to back up your statements. It is disheartening to post a view only to have it get ravaged with you not being able to properly defend it.

Strong opinions are welcome from new members but strong opinions will bring disagreement.

Oh, yeah. Joking. Disagreement isn't always a form of criticism - a lot of times it's just the working out of an interesting idea. Support is important for that, from both sides.

I would also add that it is a good thing to keep an open mind and be willing to learn and evolve. Sometimes, even your well backed, well thought out argument can be compromised by an even better analysis. That's okay. There is nothing wrong with learning and adding that new knowledge to your arsenal. Unfortunately there isn't enough of that type of mindset on message boards.

Exactly.

Guest rochester

Tony -

If it is a good business decision to do so, you change, period. Yes, you have a brand, but take it from someone who has a bit of experience at branding, it is better to be stronger if you need to change or extend your brand rather than have the entire entity only be a memory. You have deserved the trust of any past and current members to allow that - the philosophy in asking us what we would like is why we all can say this.

New people? If you really, truly love the Orioles you will love this board. If you wish to be controversial (with merit), then be ready to follow-up with insightful comments. Don't troll - even those of us who mainly read and post maybe 200 times a year get sick of trolls. I read this board most every day and have my favorite posters across the spectrum - oh, and enjoy - this is a game we are talking about

I for one welcome our new Baltimore Sports overlords!

Seriously, if the content doesn't change and it will get you more exposure, go for it! Also would like to echo the praise for the new posters. A LOT of good n00bs around here lately.

I'm old, grizzled and set in my ways....which means that I hate change. It disrupts my otherwise calm "flow" through life. That said, I also understand that sometimes change is needed. I don't know the particulars for the desire, or perhaps the need, to change the Orioles Hangout, but I trust Tony has legitimate reasons and has the best interests of the Orioles Hangout at heart.

I definitely think the "new blood" make Orioles Hangout more interesting to read, even if I do occasionally have to bite my tongue....or at times force myself to stop laughing. Regardless, its refreshing and its good to see the Hangout growing.

If renamed the "Baltimore Sports Hangout," with a more generalized front page with links to pro teams and to local sports, would it be feasible to retain and expand the individual Orioles forums and message board......I like the orange and black for message board. And hopefully the plan will expand and add a "Ravens Hangout" forum and messageboard that would use Ravens purple. And maybe separate forums and message boards for local colleges and schools.

Wait a minute, weren't you the one that basically flipped out when we updated the forum's look because the orange hurt your eyes? ;)

Archived