Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

...which the Orioles may not have understood or appreciated when it came time to support the OH earlier this year.

Right, but in the end who really cares what the Orioles think? Message boards thrive based on their posters. Right now, this is the place new people find their way to, for whatever reason. I'd just want to make sure that a name change wouldn't jeopardize that.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always love to see new posters and I try to make it a point to rep them. It irks me when a guy who makes one bad post or types something the masses feel is uninformed, and he has a red pip after 15 posts, or gets completely dismissed, thereafter.

As to the name change, I couldn't care less. It's always going to the OH regardless of what the URL or the name on the main page says. You have to do what is best for your business, and I know that the Orioles board will remain the same and will be the vast majority of the traffic.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I prefer the Orioles branding. I understand the need to get more exposure, but personally...the Ravens and other fans can discuss elsewhere. I'd like this to be the hangout for ORIOLES fans. Period. But I understand why it may not end up being that.

Tony, First I would like to thank you for the changes for have already made. Its nice to post on the board and not be insulted every other post.

As long as the board is as easy to access as it is now, the design and naming doesn't matter to me. It will still be the best Orioles board in the world.

Thanks to you and those who support the board for making being an Oriole fan more enjoyable.

I agree with those that prefer the "Orioles Hangout" brand name. My brother actually found this place in 2005 from a guy that was a huge Tigers fan. The guy was knowledgeable about MLB team's message boards, remarking that this was one of the best ones of any MLB team.

It wouldn't change me coming back or anything, but there is something about being associated with the O's (which I think is what most of us are here for) that makes this place special. I think the brand name is pretty well established and well entrenched with the Orioles, and I think that's a good thing.

Personally I prefer Orioles Hangout and the orange branding. It certainly makes it unique. However, I'm all for making the site the best it can be. While I don't post a ton, I visit the site more than any other on the web.

I have made my opinion known to the boss, but will be a proud member even if Coke changes it's name to get better diversification from the "Cola" crowd.

Tony, First I would like to thank you for the changes for have already made. Its nice to post on the board and not be insulted every other post.

As long as the board is as easy to access as it is now, the design and naming doesn't matter to me. It will still be the best Orioles board in the world.

Thanks to you and those who support the board for making being an Oriole fan more enjoyable.

This right here. One of the main reasons I never post much. The discussions on here of late do seem to be much more civil. For that I thank everyone. Makes my daily Orioles experience so much nicer.

As to the change. I agree with the notion of Baltimore Sports as the umbrella with all the hangouts as sub directories. Long as the OH still comes up 2nd or 3rd in a google search you will still get the newbies and bandwagon fans. Whatever you decide to do Tony is fine. I have yet in all me years as a lurker and then years as a member seen anything done that dd not make this a better place. Do what ya gotta do.....:thumbsup1:

Also, the OH has been more inviting since a few key releases. Not that I'm saying I really cared either way, but if I'm a new guy coming in, the landscape of the OH today is much friendlier. :)

It really is a big tent over here. As long as you kinda follow a few simple rules, it's an easy club to join and be accepted in. Not elitist ;)

I know some posters may have think I have gone away as I rarely post anymore. It has to do with going on the OH with my iphone instead of home computer and my work "frowning on social sites." If anybody has any questions about injuries, such as Reimold's issues, just PM me and I can answer you or point me to the post and I will make a better effort to get on my home computer to post.

My only concern with changing the name is losing new potential posters who are not from the Baltimore area. My brother found this site while in Australia by doing a Google search for Orioles. I wonder if it is changed to Baltimore if it would come up in the first 1-2 pages. Most people would not take the step to look up Baltimore area discussions to get to Orioles sites. Being that I don't live in MD or Baltimore I am constantly finding Orioles fans in my area, few but around, and none of them have ever heard of the OH. But when I mention the name it immediately catches their attention. I wonder if I mention "Baltimore Hangout" if they would even bother to follow-up. It is probably a small concern, but if more diversification is wanted losing the Orioles name may be a small issue. Now I am no expert on marketing and the internet, so maybe this is not as big of an issue as I am thinking. Either way I will always be "hanging on for the ride", which I believe used to be Weams tag line, as long as the board exists.

Now if we can add tag lines again, then I am all for the switch.:D

I know some posters may have think I have gone away as I rarely post anymore. It has to do with going on the OH with my iphone instead of home computer and my work "frowning on social sites." If anybody has any questions about injuries, such as Reimold's issues, just PM me and I can answer you or point me to the post and I will make a better effort to get on my home computer to post.

My only concern with changing the name is losing new potential posters who are not from the Baltimore area. My brother found this site while in Australia by doing a Google search for Orioles. I wonder if it is changed to Baltimore if it would come up in the first 1-2 pages. Most people would not take the step to look up Baltimore area discussions to get to Orioles sites. Being that I don't live in MD or Baltimore I am constantly finding Orioles fans in my area, few but around, and none of them have ever heard of the OH. But when I mention the name it immediately catches their attention. I wonder if I mention "Baltimore Hangout" if they would even bother to follow-up. It is probably a small concern, but if more diversification is wanted losing the Orioles name may be a small issue. Now I am no expert on marketing and the internet, so maybe this is not as big of an issue as I am thinking. Either way I will always be "hanging on for the ride", which I believe used to be Weams tag line, as long as the board exists.

Now if we can add tag lines again, then I am all for the switch.:D

Agree completely. Even just 1 line of text for my favorite quote of the day from Earl Weaver would be totally cool.

Tony. Put me in the Oriole Hangout brand name category. I just think it's unique and gives you a nice niche. That's just my personal opinion and I understand there are tradeoffs. Then again I may be somewhat unique as I have no affiliation with Baltimore or Maryland, other than the Orioles. It should not make any difference to me one way or the other if you do change, as I primarily am here for the Orioles related message board content. I doubt you'll have much issues with your existing supporters over an issue like this. In the end, do what you need to do to support and grow your business.

BTW, speaking of the prospect tracker, I'm thinking of changing the philosophy of the forum and make it more of a discussion for each of the prospects instead of just informational. What do you guys think? right now it doesn't seem to get much traffic and allowing people to just add their thoughts, reports and information about each player would give us a nice record of each players season.

I brought up this idea about a year ago but was swiftly shot down by you and several other high profile members of the board. I'm glad to see this was brought back to the table.

Maybe instead of Baltimore you could work off Maryland as the Old Line State and go with Old-Line Hangout and be able to broaden the base coverage and still keep the OH designation

Since the Orioles are going to win the World Series as a result of having paid attention to some of the suggestions from this site that we all know that they read. Yeah. Keep the Orioles part for the search engines.

Archived