Worth More Going Forward: Tommy Hanson or Adam Jones? (Careful what you wish for)

Sports Guy

Will Jones be traded this offseason?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jones be traded this offseason?

As a Braves fan, I'll say Adam Jones.

Tommy just isn't the same pitcher as he has been in the prior years. Still a very good pitcher, but one that has to rely on his breaking ball now instead of his fastball.

Ha! You must have a Google Alert...

I was very unimpressed with his stuff tonight - and not just his lack of velo. I said this, this summer...

That's right. Spending one of our sole chips in a trade for damaged goods on the hope that (i) he's not as damaged as our trade partner believes; and (ii) that he'll return to form. He lost 1.5 MPH on his average FB last year, and over 22 points in pitch value. He has a known shoulder issue.

How many buy-low trades for, or signing of, guys with shoulder issues have worked out, Pedro?

...but I'm really glad they didn't offer Hanson, because it would have been tough to turn down.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given our off-season discussion re: Braves pitchers, discuss.

15 months ago I would have leaned a bit towards Hanson, but watching him digress as a pitcher and battle injury last year, coincided with the rise in play from Jones, he has become the stronger asset. In the offseason, if the Braves had offered Hanson + Prado, without Jurjens, I would have been more interested but not convinced. If the Braves had offered Hanson + one of the other young pitchers (Beachy, Minor, Delgado...) I think the deal would have been done and I wouldn't have argued with it at all, but the Braves were not interested in that for obvious reasons.

As a fantasy owner who had Hanson a few years ago, I saw this "decline" coming from miles away. There's just something about his performance that doesn't match the hype he generally gets. He isn't bad... but he's not that great either.

This isn't even close, for me. I was not impressed by Hanson at all last night either, we totally let him off the hook. If he were in the AL East his ERA would be in the 4's, no doubt about it.

Jones, on the other hand, is starting to convince me his performance is actually sustainable. Maybe not his current .944 OPS but close. I've been really impressed by his patience of late and his approach overall; last night he was pitched pretty tough, but had two 2 strike hits that were squared up about as well as you'd like, and the double was a great demonstration of his pop, because off the bat it just looked like a really, well hit line drive single but man, it carried, all the way to the wall (fooled Diaz as well as me). I haven't seen a guy square up 2 strike pitches like that for a long time, reminds me of Melvin Mora circa 2004.

Don't look now, but his BA/OBP split is actually nearing on respectable: .310/.358

I was good with the contract we gave him, but wasn't in the it's a steal camp, but I'm starting to drift that way.

FWIW, I also love his desire, and I think that has a bit of (unquantifiable) value; he's the kind of guy who takes wins in August personally--even though reason maybe says he shouldn't--and I can't help but feel this is somewhat of a benefit through the doldrums of summer.

• 3 years later...
Only 29. I read somewhere it was system organ failure. How does that happen at 29?

I wonder ifit had to due with his younger brother dieing a year or t go. tommy had to leave the Angels to deal with the affects of losing hisbrother and mental issues in the past.

I wonder ifit had to due with his younger brother dieing a year or t go. tommy had to leave the Angels to deal with the affects of losing hisbrother and mental issues in the past.

I dont think he had more than one issue with mental health.

He had problems dealing with the death of a younger brother.

Tommy quote in an interview:

I was having mental issues with the death of my younger brother. I was just trying to get through it. I didn’t know how to handle it. That was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me. I didn’t know how to cope with it. … Physically, I feel great. I’m in great shape. I just had to deal with the issues going on in my head.

Any idea what his brother died from?

Might have killed himself. This is the only thing I could find.

And this is not necessarily a story of neglect. The Angels and Major League Baseball provided counseling and psychological help. But the perceived guilt over the death of a loved one' date=' especially a self-inflicted death, is often too powerful for therapy.[/quote']

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151110/whicker-tommy-hanson-was-haunted-to-the-end-by-family-loss

Archived