The Starting Pitching has to get better.

Great 2BA FL Gator

Period.

We have the 11th best starter's ERA in the league. The back end of our rotation? Matusz 4.94, Hunter 5.58, Arrieta 5.89.

We will not have success going forward if things stay like this IMO and that should concern us all.

I know you can't expect change over night, and a big part of me is disappointed from Matusz's effort right now, but looking at the numbers, we need to find improvement somewhere.

Hopefully Zach provides a boost and Matusz figures his "ish" out, but tonight was not a nice step towards that like I had hoped.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree with the point, I thought Matusz was decent last night. We lost that game because we didn't cash in enough of the 13 baserunners we had and grounded into four double plays. You will lose most games where you score two runs.

That said, Buck gave Matusz a chance to step up and he fell one batter short. Very frustrating.

Moyer and Gonzalez could be one more start away from being called up. Gonzalez needs to stretch out to 6 innings and Moyer needs to show one more game of consistency. Arrieta, Hunter and Matusz all have options. Ryan Adams can be DFA'd to make room on the 40 man roster for Moyer.

I think Hunter, Arrieta and Matusz better have good outing this next turn. Buck and DD have been very loyal to these three but both managers have to know just what this thread title states. "The Starting Pitching has to get better."

Arrieta is 108th out of 112 qualifying starters in the major leagues. Hunter is 104th. Matusz is 96th. That is pretty bad. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/count/81/qualified/true/order/false

I have to think DD is working the phones right now and considering his options. It is obvious, obvious, obvious! that we need better starting pitching. Could one guy solidify this rotation? Maybe.

For those who think Britton is the answer, I'm just not seeing it. Maybe he develops... he's essentially in his spring training right now.... but he's not ready right now. He would be no better than Matusz or Arrieta, IMO.

I have to think DD is working the phones right now and considering his options. It is obvious, obvious, obvious! that we need better starting pitching. Could one guy solidify this rotation? Maybe.

For those who think Britton is the answer, I'm just not seeing it. Maybe he develops... he's essentially in his spring training right now.... but he's not ready right now. He would be no better than Matusz or Arrieta, IMO.

Agree. For some reason a lot of people think that just because Britton is an option, he should be used, regardless of his readiness or success so far in the minors. I think some people just want a new warm body to throw into the mix, and that is never the right way to win ballgames.

With regards to trading for an SP, I gotta think Dempster and Garza are legit options (nothing really new here), but other than them there has got to be a non-contender with a decent vet SP...right????

I'm hopeful that Matusz and Arrieta are a small step away from providing us good starting pitching on a consistent basis. I don't think there's a vet out there to be gotten who will (i) do that, at (ii) a cost that make sense (going forward) given the composition of the team.

We already talked about Colon, Wandy, Pavano, and even Guthrie. What about King Felix... would you give up Manny, Tillman, and Matusz? I already did it in my mind.

I truly have a terrible memory. Yes, I would give up those three and perhaps more in a heartbeat for King Felix.

We already talked about Colon, Wandy, Pavano, and even Guthrie. What about King Felix... would you give up Manny, Tillman, and Matusz? I already did it in my mind.

Without question I do this. In a couple years that could be a Felix-Bundy-Hammel-Chen-Arrieta/Britton rotation. That looks pretty good.

Pavano has a 6.00 ERA and he's 36. I'm not giving up anything for him. Guthrie? He's been abysmal this year. Colon would be a decent fit if he cost nothing. (Wandy is great, but difficult to predict and likely expensive.)

That package wouldn't get Felix, and I'm not even sure I'd do it. He's been over-used, his velocity is down over 4MPH from a few years ago, he's been losing a pitch every year (in pitch values) to the point where his only positive pitch is his change-up. He has a 3.8ish ERA that tracks his FIP and xFIP. And he's due over $39m over the next two years.

I truly have a terrible memory. Yes, I would give up those three and perhaps more in a heartbeat for King Felix.
Without question I do this. In a couple years that could be a Felix-Bundy-Hammel-Chen-Arrieta/Britton rotation. That looks pretty good.

Felix is a FA after 2014, Hammel after 2013.

It doesn't really matter, though. You all seem to be trading, in your mind, for the Felix of a few years ago.

Felix is a FA after 2014, Hammel after 2013.

It doesn't really matter, though. You all seem to be trading, in your mind, for the Felix of a few years ago.

Ha! I looked up Felix's stats this year right after I made that trade in my mind... and you're right, the results are less than impressive. But that just means his asking price is going down.

He's only 26... in Venezuelan years... and he definitely needs a change of scenery. I would have scouts at his games and put Peterson on examining him to see what he's got left in the tank.

I think we all remember what happened to the last TOR starter the Mariners traded into the AL East... and he's still on the DL. It would be risky to try to get him.

Archived