The Starting Pitching has to get better.

Great 2BA FL Gator

Ha! I looked up Felix's stats this year right after I made that trade in my mind... and you're right, the results are less than impressive. But that just means his asking price is going down.

He's only 26... in Venezuelan years... and he definitely needs a change of scenery. I would have scouts at his games and put Peterson on examining him to see what he's got left in the tank.

I think we all remember what happened to the last TOR starter the Mariners traded into the AL East... and he's still on the DL. It would be risky to try to get him.

Hernandez-chart-IP-by-26-300x98.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a bullpen that pretty much makes it a 6 inning game. We have 2 SP's who keep us in games for 6 innings pretty consistently. We have an offense that can score 4 + runs consistently. We need two more SP who can keep us in games 6 innings. I'm sure there are plenty available in trade, that can do that, and not cost the farm. And one of Matusz, Arrieta, Hunter, Britton, Gonzo II, or Moyer, just might step up some day.

We have a bullpen that pretty much makes it a 6 inning game. We have 2 SP's who keep us in games for 6 innings pretty consistently. We have an offense that can score 4 + runs consistently. We need two more SP who can keep us in games 6 innings. I'm sure there are plenty available in trade, that can do that, and not cost the farm. And one of Matusz, Arrieta, Hunter, Britton, Gonzo II, or Moyer, just might step up some day.

Ideally, Matusz and Arrieta step up and we trade for someone like Colon to replace Hunter. That's a make-shift, 4.40-ish ERA that could keep us in contention. If Matusz and Arrieta can't do it, then I think we need to write this off as a year in which we didn't have the horses to contend.

A SP is the absolute priority right now at the deadline. I think the rotation can survive with Matusz and Arrieta, and I think Arrieta will get better following his rough stretch, but Tommy Hunter profiles more as a long reliever, IMO.

A 3-4 ERA, mid-high 3's FIP guy would be a tremendous shot in the arm.

I'm not as worried about the O's offensive numbers. This team is still scoring some runs, even with most of our outfield being treated by the O's MASH unit. It would be a major coup if the Orioles were able to trade for a guy like Garza and extend him 4 years. It would really slot our up-and-coming pitchers in quite well.

A SP is the absolute priority right now at the deadline. I think the rotation can survive with Matusz and Arrieta, and I think Arrieta will get better following his rough stretch, but Tommy Hunter profiles more as a long reliever, IMO.

A 3-4 ERA, mid-high 3's FIP guy would be a tremendous shot in the arm.

I'm not as worried about the O's offensive numbers. This team is still scoring some runs, even with most of our outfield being treated by the O's MASH unit. It would be a major coup if the Orioles were able to trade for a guy like Garza and extend him 4 years. It would really slot our up-and-coming pitchers in quite well.

If you aim low-4.00s, you're going to be in a lot better bargaining shape. (I.e., Colon.)

I agree with all of this and have a similar outlook. I think we need 3 consistent starters to stay in it for now and 4 to actually make some type of run.

It would be great to see Hammel get a little more pitch efficient, Chen to stay about where he's at, and Matusz to get consistent.

Again, if Arrieta and Matusz step up (as we have all been saying), it will be HUGE, and they both have the talent to do so.

I think in order to take some pressure off of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, we should look at getting a starter, so that we can depend on those guys filling 2 spots instead of 3.

And I sorta agree with Frobby. Matusz was definitely better this time out than last, but his FB was all over the place.

I don't think he'll have a problem providing value, but if he loses his command every 4th or 5th start, he's going to end up being serviceable, but not quite what we need IMO or what his talent can pitch to.

Ideally, Matusz and Arrieta step up and we trade for someone like Colon to replace Hunter. That's a make-shift, 4.40-ish ERA that could keep us in contention. If Matusz and Arrieta can't do it, then I think we need to write this off as a year in which we didn't have the horses to contend.
I'd be happy with a Colon type add. And I think a musical chairs of Arrieta, Matusz, and Britton will produce a 4th consistent SP. We can win without a lights out #5. I agree if we don't come up with at least 2 more SP we can forget it this season.

It would be a major coup if the Orioles were able to trade for a guy like Garza and extend him 4 years. It would really slot our up-and-coming pitchers in quite well.

I'm really starting to get to this point.. I think before I would have said to not give up any of the farm and just go low for someone like Colon and hope that Matusz and Arrieta get their stuff together but, if we can somehow trade for a Garza type without giving up Machado or Bundy, I'm totally for it.

Like you said, more than money ball type stuff, I think that would be a huge shot in the arm. Garza is no ace, but you know what you're going to get every 5th day, and that has a lot of value, especially to us where we are at right now.

What I like about adding Colon is that it can probably be done for a Bergesen and a mid-tier prospect. None of the big three will have to be added in a trade. Garza would likely require Schoop+>

Dempster is interesting because of his age and time remaining on his contract, but I think a team looking for that extra arm may give up an A-level prospect for that rental, and I'm not sure I want a part of that.

What I like about adding Colon is that it can probably be done for a Bergesen and a mid-tier prospect. None of the big three will have to be added in a trade. Garza would likely require Schoop+>

Dempster is interesting because of his age and time remaining on his contract, but I think a team looking for that extra arm may give up an A-level prospect for that rental, and I'm not sure I want a part of that.

Bingo.

I agree with all of this and have a similar outlook. I think we need 3 consistent starters to stay in it for now and 4 to actually make some type of run.

It would be great to see Hammel get a little more pitch efficient, Chen to stay about where he's at, and Matusz to get consistent.

Again, if Arrieta and Matusz step up (as we have all been saying), it will be HUGE, and they both have the talent to do so.

I think in order to take some pressure off of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, we should look at getting a starter, so that we can depend on those guys filling 2 spots instead of 3.

And I sorta agree with Frobby. Matusz was definitely better this time out than last, but his FB was all over the place.

I don't think he'll have a problem providing value, but if he loses his command every 4th or 5th start, he's going to end up being serviceable, but not quite what we need IMO or what his talent can pitch to.

I'm tired of IF Matusz and Arrieta, etc. I want another SP like Hammel and Chen where I don't have to write if in front of their name.

I don't see Colon helping the O's. He is 39 and that is not bad if he still has the stamina and effectiveness to go through an entire season. However he did not win a game in August or September for the Yankees last year and his ERA when to the 4.80s and 5.00 Plus over the last two months of last year. When the O's really need him I am afraid he will not be effective.

Yep. Same here. I'm willing to give it until the all star break really. I think that would be wise.
IF we wait till the ASB it may well be too late. We need to be 10 G's over by then to have a shot. With this current bunch of SP's that isn't too likely IMO.

I don't see Colon helping the O's. He is 39 and that is not bad if he still has the stamina and effectiveness to go through an entire season. However he did not win a game in August or September for the Yankees last year and his ERA when to the 4.80s and 5.00 Plus over the last two months of last year. When the O's really need him I am afraid he will not be effective.

Definitely a concern. But it was his first year back. I figured his endurance would improve.

Archived