The Starting Pitching has to get better.

Great 2BA FL Gator

Chen and Hammel have both achieved only 7 QSs in 13 starts, or a total ratio of 14/26 (53.8%).

Yeah, but then again, sometimes they just flat out win you a game you wouldn't have won otherwise, like today against a guy who had as nasty stuff as I've seen this year, or when Chen out-dueled Beckett over 7 innings in a 2-1 win, or when Hammel shut out Toronto over 7 strong, or when Chen through 7 2/3 worth of dominant innings when we badly needed them against TX.

Also, Hammel's QS # is probably lower than it should be because of his patch of trouble with the knee.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but then again, sometimes they just flat out win you a game you wouldn't have won otherwise, like today against a guy who had as nasty stuff as I've seen this year, or when Chen out-dueled Beckett over 7 innings in a 2-1 win, or when Hammel shut out Toronto over 7 strong, or when Chen through 7 2/3 worth of dominant innings when we badly needed them against TX.

Also, Hammel's QS # is probably lower than it should be because of his patch of trouble with the knee.

Even when they don't have their good stuff they figure out a way to keep us in the game whether it's 5-4, 3-2, or 2-1, more often than not. They are real pitchers. Unlike the Three Stooges.

We already talked about Colon, Wandy, Pavano, and even Guthrie. What about King Felix... would you give up Manny, Tillman, and Matusz? I already did it in my mind.

I was just looking at him for my fantasy team and saw within 5 minutes of research he has some back issues this year. furthermore, velocity has been decreeasing year on year....there are some trouble signs with King Felix, so not so fast.

I just don't see any SP out there that I'd want to trade for, knowing what they'll cost to obtain. Maybe my thoughts change as we get closer to the deadline (and assuming we're still in it), or if a more desirable SP becomes available. A guy to consider, IMO, would be Greinke. He'll be a FA after the year, and may come cheaper than normal since he'll be a rental. If we're looking to add payroll next year, maybe we lock him up for the next 5 years. This is the only kind of player I'd be interested in moving Schoop+ for.

Originally posted by El Gordo: Even when they don't have their good stuff they figure out a way to keep us in the game whether it's 5-4, 3-2, or 2-1, more often than not. They are real pitchers. Unlike the Three Stooges.

I don't disagree with these points, which I had already pointed out to myself. I was merely differing with the overenthusiasm of the original statement that Chen and Hammel "give us quality outings pretty much every time out." I've really savored their performances so far, especially their ability to stay focused and productive even after they've been roughed up by errors, fluke hits, cheap runs, and/or bad calls.

I'm sure its been said but Matusz / Arrieta are the key to our season.

I'd love to think we would trade for a starter, but I'm just not sure can see tha happening right now.

If Matusz and Arrieta don't get better, we won't contend and trading for a starter won't be enough. True.

If Matusz and Arrieta don't get better, we won't contend and trading for a starter won't be enough. True.

Matusz has had one poor start in his last 5. True, he looked like he was picking up a baseball for the first time in that start, but I have much more faith in him than Jake at this point. One more SP and I think we are okay.

Matusz has had one poor start in his last 5. True, he looked like he was picking up a baseball for the first time in that start, but I have much more faith in him than Jake at this point. One more SP and I think we are okay.
Matusz has been pretty solid of late.

I'm not particularly down on either. As it stands, though, they need to be better (though not world beaters). Though Matusz looked better in his more recent start, he still gave up four earned in less than six innings. He needs to keep getting better - including working to make sure he's more mechanically consistent.

We're contending now with Matusz and Arrieta, just as they are. Another real SP can only make us better regardless of whether Matusz and Arrieta improve. If they become significantly worse then they are now, which is quite possible, than nothing can help us.

We're contending now with Matusz and Arrieta, just as they are. Another real SP can only make us better regardless of whether Matusz and Arrieta improve. If they become significantly worse then they are now, which is quite possible, than nothing can help us.

If you think we'll continue to contend with the status quo, that's fine - but logic dictates otherwise. We're "contending" by outplaying our pythag, with a work-heavy and over-performing bullpen. Any slippage there and Arrieta and Matusz won't be enough. Any regression from Chen and Hammel and they won't be enough. In fact, even w/o any significant slippage, the inconsistency of our Nos. 3-5 starters may drag us down and out of the pennant race. Performance doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Archived