Do You Support A Technology-Assisted Strike Zone?

Spy Fox

Do you support the technology-assisted strikezone plan below?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the technology-assisted strikezone plan below?

This poll is closed to new votes

I would think pitchers knew if there was a place they could put a pitch where barely any hitters could hit it and have it consistently called a strike, they would be thrilled. As it stands now, most of those pitchers aren't consistently called strikes. Up and in fastballs, low backdoor breakers, etc.

This. Oh yes the pitchers could adjust. The one who can hit their zones will put it where the hitter cant really hit it.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think pitchers knew if there was a place they could put a pitch where barely any hitters could hit it and have it consistently called a strike, they would be thrilled. As it stands now, most of those pitchers aren't consistently called strikes. Up and in fastballs, low backdoor breakers, etc.

Low Backdoor Breakers-That would be a great name for a prison rock 'n roll band.

To answer my own question, yes I would like to see this change.

It would be unobtrusive and would improve the quality of the game. I do appreciate the traditionalist perspective, but I can't agree with it. In the 2008 Olympics, Michael Phelps likely would have won only seven gold medals instead of his deserved eight if races were decided by the human eye instead of by sensors. In the 2010 World Cup we had famous goals that should have been and offsides that shouldn't have been, all of which could have been easily corrected. Just a few minutes ago, Aramis Ramirez of the Brewers hit a late inning go-ahead home run, that was initially called foul by mistake but corrected based on the accuracy of the video.

If I were in charge I would put umpire accountability as a priority over a "robot strike zone" though. I know it's a tremendously difficult job and that major league umpires are remarkably skilled. Umpires do not want to get calls wrong. I believe their integrity. But I also feel that their performance could obviously improve, and it doesn't seem that much is being done towards that end. The union is strong and has the right to object to certain things but I think there's the potential for compromises.

No way.

It's also part of the game to reward a pitcher who has been pounding the zone all night to give him the close pitch while not rewarding a pitcher who is all over the place.

How odd.

First you state your opinion, then you seem to argue against it.

Looking at the computerized pitch replays on tv compared to actual replays, I'm not convinced the technology is 100% there yet. It probably will be in about 2 years though, so I'm not too worried about that aspect of it. It just seems to me like umpires are part of the game, as lame as that sounds. Mixing the zone up a little bit every night also rewards hitter and pitchers who can make adjustments on the fly, rather than guys who just learn to throw it in one particular spot every time.

And where would this be implemented? It would seem odd to use this in the majors and not the minors, because it really changes the complexion of the game and the skill set required to be successful.

I want to see a Drungo post here about how the MLB is so afraid to make a change, how MLB clings too much to the past while other major sports leagues openly embrace technology in making their games more fair, etc.

And he would be right.

As for the poll question-- a passionate yes from me.

I want some sort of digital system that can automatically detect balls and strikes, and give an electric shock to the home plate umpire when he calls a pitch incorrectly.

This. And He still gets to make the calls. They must be trained. It has to be a significant shock though. With the electrodes placed strategically.

Archived