Do You Support A Technology-Assisted Strike Zone?

Spy Fox

Do you support the technology-assisted strikezone plan below?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the technology-assisted strikezone plan below?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Difference between incorrectly and inconsistently.

Does the end zone in an NFL game change dimensions depending on the referee's preference?

Does the hoop in an NBA series shrink and grow from game to game depending on the different referee's personal philosophy?

I know baseball is a different game but the principle is the same. Most things in sport should be the same in all trials, not directly influenced by the input of anyone except those playing the game. The strike zone is one of those things.

Does the end zone in an NFL game change dimensions depending on the referee's preference?

Does the hoop in an NBA series shrink and grow from game to game depending on the different referee's personal philosophy?

I know baseball is a different game but the principle is the same. Most things in sport should be the same in all trials, not directly influenced by the input of anyone except those playing the game. The strike zone is one of those things.

No one in the game has a problem with a consistently called strike zone. As long as it's the same for both sides there's no problem.

Since half of the strike zone is dependent on the individual batter and his stance at the plate, I wonder how an electronic system would account for that. How does pitch fx account for it?

Every single day in batting practice, they measure up every single hitter to find the right strike zone for every batter. I remember reading the preparation involved was nearly an all day thing for every game. It's really why it's quite fascinating technology.

No, no, and a thousand times no. Perhaps as an amateur umpire I have a different perspective on the demands and the artistry of excellent umpiring. There is tremendous skill and dedication involved in the select few who make it to the major leagues. Thousands and thousands of hours of focused effort and concentration, technique and experience before they get to the bigs. Yes, we all have our favorite stories of umpires who make bad calls, missed calls, poor strike zones, etc. but from my standpoint, these men (and hopefully women soon) are as much a part of the artistic experience as the players and managers. Just as we all have an understanding that even the best major league players may fail a number of times, then, similarly, I think it is a true part of baseball to have umpires doing their absolute best, day in and day out, as part of the greatest game on earth.

No, no, and a thousand times no. Perhaps as an amateur umpire I have a different perspective on the demands and the artistry of excellent umpiring. There is tremendous skill and dedication involved in the select few who make it to the major leagues. Thousands and thousands of hours of focused effort and concentration, technique and experience before they get to the bigs.

And yet despite all of that they largely can't do their jobs as well as computers and cameras.

Yes, we all have our favorite stories of umpires who make bad calls, missed calls, poor strike zones, etc. but from my standpoint, these men (and hopefully women soon) are as much a part of the artistic experience as the players and managers. Just as we all have an understanding that even the best major league players may fail a number of times, then, similarly, I think it is a true part of baseball to have umpires doing their absolute best, day in and day out, as part of the greatest game on earth.

This is the biggest problem, that umpires think they are some desirable part of the game or that people come to the park to watch them.

No. We don't. When I was seven and my dad took me out to the ballgame I wasn't tugging on his shirt and asking if we could get Eric Gregg's autograph. When they have any effect at all they largely ruin my enjoyment of the game because they editorialize when they should just interpret the damn rule book as it's written.

I want to see a competition between two sets of twenty-five men and their generals, not umpires with publicists.

Honestly no. Call me a traditionalist but part of me is intrigued and likes the fact that umps have different zones and that the pitcher has to adapt to that ump's zone. I do want better umping of course but replacing the ump calling balls and strikes with a machine sounds tacky to me.

I'm a traditionalists too. I wish they would fill the ball with wet sand, allow the pitcher to use his pocketknife on the ball, and take away their mitts. A real man doesn't need a mitt.

I would be interested in the technological approach only if the "small electronic device" mentioned in the opening post would shock the crap out of the home plate umpire every time he made a bad strike or ball call. I have no doubt they would quickly start getting calls right.

No, no, and a thousand times no. Perhaps as an amateur umpire I have a different perspective on the demands and the artistry of excellent umpiring. There is tremendous skill and dedication involved in the select few who make it to the major leagues. Thousands and thousands of hours of focused effort and concentration, technique and experience before they get to the bigs. Yes, we all have our favorite stories of umpires who make bad calls, missed calls, poor strike zones, etc. but from my standpoint, these men (and hopefully women soon) are as much a part of the artistic experience as the players and managers. Just as we all have an understanding that even the best major league players may fail a number of times, then, similarly, I think it is a true part of baseball to have umpires doing their absolute best, day in and day out, as part of the greatest game on earth.

I think we should go back to celestial navigation. I'd give anything to see a real Magellan at work.

Archived