JJ needs to be moved down in the order

zero1

It's a platoon. Betemit would hit second (or anywhere) only against right-handed pitching, against which he has an .873 OPS and a .363 OBP, significantly better than Reynolds has against right-handed pitching. Reynolds does still have more walks against right-handed pitching than Betemit, but still his OBP against righties is only .299. Would you still want Reynolds in the #2 spot against righties? Strangely, though, Reynolds has hit more HRs this year off righties than lefties? But it's a power shortage year for him overall. Betemit is defeinitely having a better year against righties than Reynolds is against lefties, though Reynolds is definitely having a better year against righties than Betemit is against lefties. That's not saying much though. That's why it would remain a platoon if they were considered for the number 2 spot.

Assuming he isn't otherworldly awful at 1B in the field I most certainly want Betemit starting instead of Reynolds. I'd just prefer his bat 6th or 7th in the lineup depending who we trot out there that day.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming he isn't otherworldly awful at 1B in the field I most certainly want Betemit starting instead of Reynolds. I'd just prefer his bat 6th or 7th in the lineup depending who we trot out there that day.

In a platoon Betemit/Reynolds would be pretty awesome in the #2 hole:

Betemit vs. RHP: .306/.363/.510/.873

Reynolds vs LHP: .266/.402/.430/.832

Solid OBP numbers.

Ideally, having someone that can take advantage of the hole between first and second with a runner on first (or hit the ball to the right side with a runner on second) is probably best for a number 2 hitter. RH pull hitters (especially those that lack speed but still hit the ball hard) = more DPs/forceouts. A little off topic but I think it's sort of sad that a 20 year old RHBing rookie can drive balls to right field when we have veteran RHBs that don't know right field even exists.

With who? With any of the other options who have more speed and higher OBP. You are doging the issue. Why do you think Hardy is the best #2 option we currently have on the team? Give your criteria for a #2 hitter and show why Hardy fits it better than any one else in the org. If it's about mulligans, why not bat him fourth? He hit more HR last year than Jones.
I know a lot of people on this site are stat people. But I'm a firm believer and it looks like Buck is as well; that you don't disrupt chemistry and rob Peter to pay Paul. Yeah there is a hole at the 2-hole. But there is a psychological thing that messes with players when they have success at one spot and moved and they **** the bed. I don't know why, and can't explain it. You'd think players could just keep doing what they're doing. But it doesn't work that way.

I understand what every person says about Hardy and lineup modifications. But there is more that goes into decisions than just stats. That is why I think Buck is reluctant in making any big lineup changes at the moment because they don't have a player that can do it. Not saying Hardy can, but he might be the best option he has.

Me personally I think Hardy thrives at the number 6 or 7 hole. But you have to make the best with the cards you're dealt. We don't know what Buck sees day to day. But there has to be a reason he keeps leaning on him in that spot.

I agree with both of these posts. There is not a much better option, and I'm not willing to mess with the chemistry of this team. Hardy has had a pretty down year at the plate, but he is who I want there tomorrow.

The one option that makes a little sense is McLouth 2nd and Hardy 3rd. That's just swapping two players (which Buck has done a lot), that I think would help the lineup.

I know a lot of people on this site are stat people. But I'm a firm believer and it looks like Buck is as well; that you don't disrupt chemistry and rob Peter to pay Paul. Yeah there is a hole at the 2-hole. But there is a psychological thing that messes with players when they have success at one spot and moved and they **** the bed. I don't know why, and can't explain it. You'd think players could just keep doing what they're doing. But it doesn't work that way.

I understand what every person says about Hardy and lineup modifications. But there is more that goes into decisions than just stats. That is why I think Buck is reluctant in making any big lineup changes at the moment because they don't have a player that can do it. Not saying Hardy can, but he might be the best option he has.

Me personally I think Hardy thrives at the number 6 or 7 hole. But you have to make the best with the cards you're dealt. We don't know what Buck sees day to day. But there has to be a reason he keeps leaning on him in that spot.

There is no "stat people" or "non-stat people." A "stat person" is just somebody who goes by performance on the field, and not by talk. Stats are simply objective measures of past performance, they don't lie. The only debate is which stats to use, and which ones to throw out the window.

In Buck's defense, maybe he's high on JJ Hardy because of his career performance, and not focusing as much as this season, assuming that it's just a prolonged slump. Not that I agree with this line of thinking, but it's the only way I can see Buck saving some face.

I can't believe that there are people who think that Hardy is the best we can do at the number 2 slot.

Even in his best years, Hardy has been a low OBP/high SLG type of hitter. In a good season he should hit 5th or 6th. In a bad season he should hit 8th or 9th. This season is one of the latter.

The O's have better options on the team right now--Nate McLouth and Omar Quintanilla come to mind immediately. They have an even better option sitting at AAA in LJ Hoes. Hell, even Mark Reynolds or Wilson Betemit would be a better option than JJ Hardy.

This is an example of Buck placing too much emphasis on loyalty to veteran players regardless of performance.

Hardy hated hitting first last season. Why do we assume he would be heart broken to be hitting 6 or 7. I think he would be happy there. I think Buck has this idea about Hardy's power with runners on later in the game, when he isn't coming up #2 in the inning. The problem is he has so many poor AB that that isn't playing out. A guy like McLouth who is getting on base, can bunt, and run well, would be a much better option. Hardy in the 3 hole would be an improvement.

In a platoon Betemit/Reynolds would be pretty awesome in the #2 hole:

Betemit vs. RHP: .306/.363/.510/.873

Reynolds vs LHP: .266/.402/.430/.832

Solid OBP numbers.

This is right and has made the most sense for awhile now. Or Hardy/Betemit against LHP. I suppose you could look at Mclouth/Hardy as well.

You'd be doing Machado a disservice by batting him in the 2-hole at the moment. The kid is 20, let him get situated in the bigs before you put him in a prominent role on a team pushin for a playoffs birth.

What you want prospects to do is come up, feel comfortable and anything offensively is a bonus. You don't want to rely on them adding additional pressure.

The old saying is you want them to come up and stay. You'd be stunting his development right now in the 2-hole.

I'm not buying that "baby him crap" If he keeps raking, he will move up, some people handle the lights better than others. No one can be so sure how he would do in that situation.

I feel if he keeps showing he has that good eye and he doesn't need numbers like this weekend, we obviously can't expect that from him every week. He should be moved up and I'm sure he will. I think that saying holds more value when talking about pitchers. Pitching are different, and a few bad outings can definitely do that, as I said before some people just go out and see the lights, and see the people, and elevate their play.

I'm not buying that "baby him crap" If he keeps raking, he will move up, some people handle the lights better than others. No one can be so sure how he would do in that situation.

I feel if he keeps showing he has that good eye and he doesn't need numbers like this weekend, we obviously can't expect that from him every week. He should be moved up and I'm sure he will. I think that saying holds more value when talking about pitchers. Pitching are different, and a few bad outings can definitely do that, as I said before some people just go out and see the lights, and see the people, and elevate their play.

When do you want to move him to the #2 spot? Tomorrow? The next day? How long wil you wait and what numbers do you need to see in order to move him up? I think everyone thinks he should move up, it's just a matter of when and how far.

Archived