Curt Schilling loses his fortune as his video game company collapses

Frobby

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8084138/former-boston-red-sox-curt-schilling-says-baseball-fortune-all-gone-company-crash

Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said Friday that the collapse of his 38 Studios video game company has probably cost him his entire baseball fortune, and he placed part of the blame on Rhode Island officials, including Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Schilling said during a 90-minute interview on WEEI-FM in Boston that he put more than $50 million of his own money in the company and that he's had to tell his family that "the money I saved during baseball was probably all gone."

"I'm tapped out," he said.

This is a guy who made $114 mm during his career. It never fails to amaze me when athletes making these astounding sums of money don't have enough common sense to take a respectable portion of it and invest it in something safe.

I have mixed feelings about this. I appreciate that he's putting his money in the tech sector and being quite hands-on with it, trying to learn a business that has the potential to be very lucrative. He surrounded himself with talented people, and the game his company did come out with did very, very well for itself.

Of course, they also made some stupid decisions along the way that led to their colossal failure (investing in an MMO when you already have World of Warcraft to compete against, for starters.) Sucks, but I guess I'll live with it, since I don't really care for Schilling.

I have mixed feelings about this. I appreciate that he's putting his money in the tech sector and being quite hands-on with it, trying to learn a business that has the potential to be very lucrative. He surrounded himself with talented people, and the game his company did come out with did very, very well for itself.

Of course, they also made some stupid decisions along the way that led to their colossal failure (investing in an MMO when you already have World of Warcraft to compete against, for starters.) Sucks, but I guess I'll live with it, since I don't really care for Schilling.

Yea Kingdoms of Amalur was pretty cool.

I kinda wonder where all the money from the game went, as I thought it sold pretty well.

Yea Kingdoms of Amalur was pretty cool.

I kinda wonder where all the money from the game went, as I thought it sold pretty well.

A lot of people want to know where a lot of money went. The State of Rhode Island lent him $75M less than two years ago and there are some questions as to just how and where the money was used. A quick search will link you to many stories from credible news outlets as to the ongoing investigations into 38 Studios. As always, anything Mr. Schilling says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Archived