Gausman Signing Bonus - Parameters

This is not a good sign for us

The Cubs have agreed to terms with No. 6 overall pick Albert Almora on a $3.9 million contract, reports Jim Callis of Baseball America.

Major League Baseball recommended a $3.25 million bonus for the sixth overall selection. Almora is considered to have great makeup, good polish and plenty of tools. While he was not considered in the same class as Byron Buxton or Carlos Correa, Almora, an elite defensive center fielder, has been compared to Orioles superstar Adam Jones. Six first-round picks remain unsigned with Friday's signing deadline upon us: Kevin Gausman (6, BAL), Mark Appel (8, PIT), Andrew Heaney (9, MIA), Lucas Giolito (16, WAS), Richie Shaffer (25, TB) and Ty Hensley (30, NYY). Source: Jim Callis on Twitter Jul 9 - 2:40 PM

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not a good sign for us

The Cubs have agreed to terms with No. 6 overall pick Albert Almora on a $3.9 million contract, reports Jim Callis of Baseball America.

Major League Baseball recommended a $3.25 million bonus for the sixth overall selection. Almora is considered to have great makeup, good polish and plenty of tools. While he was not considered in the same class as Byron Buxton or Carlos Correa, Almora, an elite defensive center fielder, has been compared to Orioles superstar Adam Jones. Six first-round picks remain unsigned with Friday's signing deadline upon us: Kevin Gausman (6, BAL), Mark Appel (8, PIT), Andrew Heaney (9, MIA), Lucas Giolito (16, WAS), Richie Shaffer (25, TB) and Ty Hensley (30, NYY). Source: Jim Callis on Twitter Jul 9 - 2:40 PM

I don't think a HS Center Fielder will have a lot of bearing on Gausman.

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Mark Appel is leaning toward turning down a $3.8 million offer by the Pirates and returning to Stanford.

Appel, a Scott Boras client, was projected in just about every mock draft to go first overall. He reportedly turned down a $6 million offer by the Astros, so rejecting an offer for half as much (slot for the eighth pick is roughly $3 million) has always been seen as a decent possibility. The Pirates are handcuffed by the new CBA agreement. On draft day, they were handcuffed by the idea of draft value. If Pittsburgh violates their draft pool allocation, it will result in forfeiture of their 2013 first-round pick. Appel -- or, more accurately, the Pirates -- could be the first casualty of the new system.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter Jul 9 - 3:57PM

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Mark Appel is leaning toward turning down a $3.8 million offer by the Pirates and returning to Stanford.

Appel, a Scott Boras client, was projected in just about every mock draft to go first overall. He reportedly turned down a $6 million offer by the Astros, so rejecting an offer for half as much (slot for the eighth pick is roughly $3 million) has always been seen as a decent possibility. The Pirates are handcuffed by the new CBA agreement. On draft day, they were handcuffed by the idea of draft value. If Pittsburgh violates their draft pool allocation, it will result in forfeiture of their 2013 first-round pick. Appel -- or, more accurately, the Pirates -- could be the first casualty of the new system.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter Jul 9 - 3:57PM

I figured it was 50/50 at best for Appel to sign. Another Boras causality. Folks need to remember folks like Appel when talking about what a genius Boras is. He badly mishandled the situation.

Appel will be a senior next year, so he'll have to make sure that where ever he's drafted that he gets a deal done. He can kiss all of his leverage good-bye. I'm just wondering, why is Gausman coming out when he's only a Sophomore? I thought that they had to wait 3 years if they didn't sign out of high school?

Appel will be a senior next year, so he'll have to make sure that where ever he's drafted that he gets a deal done. He can kiss all of his leverage good-bye. I'm just wondering, why is Gausman coming out when he's only a Sophomore? I thought that they had to wait 3 years if they didn't sign out of high school?

He's old. Which mitigates the leverage he has as a Sophomore.

He is signing, just got his hair cut for the Friday fan presentation at OPACY and has given up eating doughnuts between innings, also, threw a bullpen last week.

from KG on Twitter

I hate when u get your haircut and say I just a little off the top and you walk out looking like Mr. Clean! #alwayshappens #shorthairswag

So, Gausman was born in January of 1991, making him 21 now, but he graduated from high school 2 years ago. I thought that the rule was that he had to be 3 years out of high school regardless of the age? Did they make an exception for him? Also, does anybody know we he gradated high school at 19? Was he held back or something?

So, Gausman was born in January of 1991, making him 21 now, but he graduated from high school 2 years ago. I thought that the rule was that he had to be 3 years out of high school regardless of the age? Did they make an exception for him? Also, does anybody know we he gradated high school at 19? Was he held back or something?

If you are attending a 4 year college and are or turn 21 within 15 days of the draft-you are draft eligible-no matter how many years you have been out of high school. I can think of 2 players off the top of my head that were draft eligible as true Freshman-Chris Dwyer in 2009 and Robert Eenhorn in 1990(he was actually 22).

You can bet Gausman will be using it as a reference. If his agent doesn't, he is a fool

He doesn't have an agent. That would make him intelligible in amateur baseball and he would then lose all of his negotiating strength. I am sure he has an adviser though ;)

He is signing, just got his hair cut for the Friday fan presentation at OPACY and has given up eating doughnuts between innings, also, threw a bullpen last week.

from KG on Twitter

I hate when u get your haircut and say I just a little off the top and you walk out looking like Mr. Clean! #alwayshappens #shorthairswag

I think it will be great that he is there for the fans on Friday.

Archived