Gausman Signing Bonus - Parameters

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really blame the MLB draft rules for nonsense like this. In the NHL you retain a players draft rights if they chose to go to college along with a standard rookie contract, everyone wins. Kid gets to get an education and doesn't have to worry about getting a degree vs. making some extra money. A team that finds a future first round talent in the later rounds gets rewarded for being smart. Add in the punishment for going "over slot" it ends up hurting the bad teams who need the talent the most.

I hope the kid has some dignity and goes back to that arm-injury factory LSU. Stop with the posturing and follow through. Our farm system is full of guys just like Gausman. Good enough to hang around and make a little noise but never good enough to make an impact at the MLB level.

Feels like a negotiating ploy and nothing more to me; Gausman isn't going to go #1 or #2 next year. The risk of him going back to school for one year simply isn't worth one or two slots unless he's being offered well below slot.

Particularly as no team is going to waste a 1, 2 or 3 on him next year as he could pull the same stuff as a junior that he is pulling as a sophomore. PR bs....he is getting really bad advice from agent.

I don't even see why the NCAA allows these guys to have advisors and still let them keep their amatuer status. If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, it's a duck. The advisors act like agents, and even get a cut of the contract when they sign. If they're truely advisors, they should have to sign an affidavit saying that they won't get a cent from the player off of the rookie contract, and that they agree not to be their agent at any point during their career. Either that, or when a player hires an advisor, they should lose their ability to play college ball. It just sounds like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I don't even see why the NCAA allows these guys to have advisors and still let them keep their amatuer status. If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, it's a duck. The advisors act like agents, and even get a cut of the contract when they sign. If they're truely advisors, they should have to sign an affidavit saying that they won't get a cent from the player off of the rookie contract, and that they agree not to be their agent at any point during their career. Either that, or when a player hires an advisor, they should lose their ability to play college ball. It just sounds like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Or they can do away with the whole "amateur certification" system that they have in the first place. I think that would be a much better idea.

LSU coach calls report Gausman is returning "premature"

By Dan Connolly

The Baltimore Sun

10:30 a.m. EDT, July 10, 2012

The Orioles have said they are still in negotiations with top pick Kevin Gausman, the LSU sophomore right-hander.

But if you want more proof, here’s a released statement from LSU baseball coach Paul Mainieri, which disputes a Monday night report from a New Orleans newspaper’s web site, which originally quoted an anonymous source that Gausman was headed back to LSU.

The site later backed off that pronouncement, saying Gausman was “seriously considering” returning to school.

Here’s Mainieri, the head baseball coach: “Kevin is still in negotiations with the Orioles, and any reports portraying his return to LSU as definite are premature. This is a monumental decision in Kevin’s life, and as much as we want him back with us, we also want him to do what is in his best interest.”

The deadline for signing Gausman is Friday afternoon. The slot for the No. 4 pick overall is $4.2 million.

It wouldn’t be the first time – or the last – that a player used college leverage leading up to the deadline, and then eventually signed a deal. So there’s no reason to panic now, Orioles’ fans.

Or they can do away with the whole "amateur certification" system that they have in the first place. I think that would be a much better idea.

If they took away that restriction, it would really only change basketball and football. It's not like it would make financial sense to spend a lot on baseball players when nobody watches their games.

I don't see the appeal of baseball players going to college anyway if they're going to be taken in the first few rounds out of high school. The signing bonus that they get can easily be tucked away and trump the value of a four year degree. Players who play in the minors out of high school have a 3-4 year jump start over their counterparts who play college, give their services away for free, play with metal bats, play part of the season, and have coaches who throw their arms out.

But I can see the appeal of teams wanting to take college players. They basically develop the players for free for them, and they're able to judge the player's performance against more realistic competition.

I think it gets done but it doesn't sound like we'll have much bonus pool money left for our 5th pick Poche or 15th pick Velazquez.

As long as Velazquez will sign for 500K, and Gausman signs for slot, and the O's are willing to pay the 5% over tax, there is room.

I have not heard Poche's number.

Note to Dan Duquette, get him signed before he injures himself !

from KG on Twitter

Good to get away with my boy @asmith028 and my bro @Bgooseman for the past two days!! Climbed Mt. Elbert, the highest mountain in Colorado!

If he's going to himself himself over the summer, I'd rather he do it before he signs. If it's serious enough, we let him walk. If it's minor, we use that as leverage against him. If he injures himself after we sign him, we're stuck with him and whatever deal we agree to.

Archived