Are Orioles Going to Make A Blockbuster Deal With Cubs? BR Story

section18

Any three of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and Britton for Dempster and Garza. Don't want Soriano.

Schoop, Matusz, Avery and Britton would net Garza IMO and taking on Soriano's salary might net Dempster.

Let me ask everyone this, if the Orioles were to add Soriano, Dempster and Garza, do we make the playoffs? If we don't, do we make the playoffs?

Garza

Hammel

Chen

Dempster

Arrieta

Is that staff good enough to compete?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that the Cubs could get better than Schoop and Arrieta if they were to deal Garza. I do not think that this story makes sense because the deal for the Cubs does not make any sense. I think that moving Dempster and Soriano saves the Cubs money and that makes sense, but dealing Garza would net a good return IMO.

I do too...much better. Garza is going to be a big chip for them and Epstein is going to make the most of it. IMO, Garza is going to bring at least a top 50 prospect and a couple of other good pieces. Maybe a B prospect to go with the centerpiece and then someone else.

I do too...much better. Garza is going to be a big chip for them and Epstein is going to make the most of it. IMO, Garza is going to bring at least a top 50 prospect and a couple of other good pieces. Maybe a B prospect to go with the centerpiece and then someone else.

I'm not weighing in to one side or the other in re: the hypothetical trade, but Arrieta and Matusz in the NL Central? The Cubs would be getting plenty of value.

I'm not weighing in to one side or the other in re: the hypothetical trade, but Arrieta and Matusz in the NL Central? The Cubs would be getting plenty of value.

I was referring and agreeing with an earlier post in that I don't think Arrieta and Schoop would get it done.

I would rather have a top prospect or two. Some team will overpay for Garza and I hope that team is not the Orioles. We run an Orioles site here, but let's say that we ran a Cub site. Would you trade Garza for Arrieta and Matusz? The Cubs probably have this thread up on the boards and are laughing the same way that we would do.

I would rather have a top prospect or two. Some team will overpay for Garza and I hope that team is not the Orioles. We run an Orioles site here, but let's say that we ran a Cub site. Would you trade Garza for Arrieta and Matusz? The Cubs probably have this thread up on the boards and are laughing the same way that we would do.

Oh, for sure. If I'm a Cubs fan, I want multiple, sure (or near sure) things for the team's best trade chip (apart from Castro). That being said...Garza has an ERA+ of 98 this year (and his ERA is almost identical to his FIP). I'd like to think that the Cubs' fans would realize that getting Arrieta AND Matusz in a Garza deal, given the differences in leagues/divisions (among other things) certainly wouldn't be a situation in which the Cubs were getting fleeced.

So...the suggested deal probably isn't anywhere close to the tops of Chicago fans' lists, but it's not a laugher, either (IMO).

A potential negotiation in a trade with the Cubs could be to allow the Orioles to demote Flaherty.

Screw that. Let's take one of the potential trade candidates out and throw Flaherty in with the deal.

They can have him back and we can keep one of our better prospects. Win win.

Schoop, Matusz, Avery and Britton would net Garza IMO and taking on Soriano's salary might net Dempster.

Just kick me in the balls if that happens.

That is WAY too much to give up for Garza.

I'd do one of Matusz/Britton and Avery for him. But nothing more. And if that isn't enough, and I doubt it is, then oh, well.

Let me ask everyone this, if the Orioles were to add Soriano, Dempster and Garza, do we make the playoffs?

That would clearly improve the odds.

If we don't, do we make the playoffs?

We still have a shot.

Garza

Hammel

Chen

Dempster

Arrieta

Is that staff good enough to compete?

Obviously, yes. We're competing now w an inferior staff.

Oh, for sure. If I'm a Cubs fan, I want multiple, sure (or near sure) things for the team's best trade chip (apart from Castro). That being said...Garza has an ERA+ of 98 this year (and his ERA is almost identical to his FIP). I'd like to think that the Cubs' fans would realize that getting Arrieta AND Matusz in a Garza deal, given the differences in leagues/divisions (among other things) certainly wouldn't be a situation in which the Cubs were getting fleeced.

So...the suggested deal probably isn't anywhere close to the tops of Chicago fans' lists, but it's not a laugher, either (IMO).

That's what I don't think people realize. He's not pitching very good this year, and so many people on here want to give an arm and a leg for him. Well, he would be our #3 SP right now, and cost a lot (money and players). There is negative value involved in trading for Garza.

Archived