Are Orioles Going to Make A Blockbuster Deal With Cubs? BR Story

section18

That's what I don't think people realize. He's not pitching very good this year, and so many people on here want to give an arm and a leg for him. Well, he would be our #3 SP right now, and cost a lot (money and players). There is negative value involved in trading for Garza.

I feel like fans want to see us make a move as some kind of signal or message that we're "committed" or "going for it". It goes back to 2005, when that team clearly needed help after losing Bedard and Javy Lopez, and we stood pat. Oh, wait, we added Eric Byrnes...LOL.

At this point, wouldn't we be better off holding serve and getting Tillman a look or waiting for Britton to get all the way back? I would think that at this point, either one of them gives us a good shot to win every 5th day and not nearly the cost in salary and players of a Garza or Dempster. Also, I don't want to touch Soriano with a 10 foot pole. I think fans are remembering Soriano in his prime, blasting 35-40 HRs. But if the average fan is frustrated with Reynolds, what the heck do they think Soriano is like?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be smart to read the prior posts on here before responding. There have neen numerous quotes coming out of Chicago concerning the Cubs willingness to eat a majority of Soriano and Dempster's contracts in any deal that is made. Responding with comments that say we would pay their salaries just starts up new responses that are unnecessary. Nobody unless it's the NYY is going to take on these two players in any deal without the Cubs eating most of their salaries. The time left on each players contract including Garza's is also a major factor. This has been mentioned by most of the national writers and apparently the Cub front office has leaked this as well. So why say the Orioles would be crazy to trade for these players and eat their salaries? It's not going to happen.

If we could trade Matusz, Arrieta and Schoop for Garza, Dempster and Sorriano, we should do that... Then flip Dempster right away for prospects, including one to replace Schoop. (Dan, just call when ya need me, big guy. Happy to provide sage advice from my couch for a minimal fee.)

I could see one of Garza and Dempster plus Soriano. But no way are we dealing the likes of Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, and Machado for all three. Lunacy.

Machado is the last guy we should trade, IMO. He should be on the "laugh in your face" list when other GMs call. I watched him play at Bowie a few weeks ago. To my dilettante's eye, he looks like a natural. Smooth. Confident. Moves effortlessly around. He's made some errors, etc. But I would trade Bundy before Machado, as I said in another thread. Call me crazy... but that's my take.

Thats young players Terror....I think the Orioles would be silly to give up all three for 1/2season of Dempster & 11/2 of Garza....I have o interest in Sorianoso he subtracts not adds value to the cubs. I'd give them Jake or Brian and and two others C types.

I didn't say trade them for Garza and Dempster, I'm just saying TRADE THEM.

Whether the rumor has legs or not, I'd part with Schoop, Arrieta, and Matusz for Dempster, Garza, and Soriano plus cash. Not Machado, though.

As would I. That's a very beneficial trade.

O's become ready to win now, Cubs get younger, cheaper. O's dealing from a position of strength, because they still have Britton, Tillman, Bundy, and eventually Gausman in the system.

I'm caught up in our success and want to see us make a run, but I'm not on board with this scenario.

I wouldn't even deal Arrieta for Garza straight up. While Jake's ERA is up and he's been hot and cold, his projected stat line for the year is 204 IP 218 H 58 BB 183 K. That's from a 26 year old who is under team control through 2016. Garza would be a nice addition, but not an ace....for only a year and a half.

Dempster is 35 years old and a free agent after this season, vs Matusz who is 25 and under team control for three and a half more years. Matusz is still finding himself, but if we give up on talented starters at age 25 as a rule, we're screwed. Really screwed.

Yeah, Garza and Dempster could make us a serious contender this year, but we can't deal our better assets for short term vets without feeling pain in the coming seasons. And Soriano is a guy they are willing to pay vast sums of money to NOT PLAY for them.....just because he plays LF and Reimold is gone for the year doesn't make him a great addition. Now, if you can negotiate an extension with Garza as a contingency of the deal, I can be swayed to the other side. But to me, that's the whole ballgame (pardon the pun). Making this deal does not guarantee a playoff spot, but it does put expiration dates on key components of our roster. One thing is for certain in my thinking.......if you do a deal like this, you go full out for Headley. You don't make a short term splash like this an leave our 3B defense and productivity as-is.

It would be smart to read the prior posts on here before responding. There have neen numerous quotes coming out of Chicago concerning the Cubs willingness to eat a majority of Soriano and Dempster's contracts in any deal that is made. Responding with comments that say we would pay their salaries just starts up new responses that are unnecessary. Nobody unless it's the NYY is going to take on these two players in any deal without the Cubs eating most of their salaries. The time left on each players contract including Garza's is also a major factor. This has been mentioned by most of the national writers and apparently the Cub front office has leaked this as well. So why say the Orioles would be crazy to trade for these players and eat their salaries? It's not going to happen.

Are the Cubs willing to pay for all there salaries?

We are a .500 team at best. I was thrilled with Duquette's offseason moves. He put us in a position of flexible depth, which is exactly what we needed.

The true test for Duquette will be whether he can have the discipline -- especially in the face of a growing clamor to trade for some big-time guys -- to understand that we are probably not going to make the playoffs this year even if we do add a premium talent, and to risk the future for a slightly improved chance at the "now" is not what is best for the Baltimore Orioles.

Let's win with what's got us this far, let's hold onto our prospects and young guys, let's add depth where it costs us little, and let's win the A.L. east without buying the A.L. East.

We are a .500 team at best. I was thrilled with Duquette's offseason moves. He put us in a position of flexible depth, which is exactly what we needed.

The true test for Duquette will be whether he can have the discipline -- especially in the face of a growing clamor to trade for some big-time guys -- to understand that we are probably not going to make the playoffs this year even if we do add a premium talent, and to risk the future for a slightly improved chance at the "now" is not what is best for the Baltimore Orioles.

Let's win with what's got us this far, let's hold onto our prospects and young guys, let's add depth where it costs us little, and let's win the A.L. east without buying the A.L. East.

totally agree, hopefully by next year Bundy and Gausman will be knocking at the door and we will have depth to trade for the parts we need to really contend.

Hard to agree with this, especially with the 2nd wildcard. That changes a lot of things, IMO.

I'm caught up in our success and want to see us make a run, but I'm not on board with this scenario.

I wouldn't even deal Arrieta for Garza straight up. While Jake's ERA is up and he's been hot and cold, his projected stat line for the year is 204 IP 218 H 58 BB 183 K. That's from a 26 year old who is under team control through 2016. Garza would be a nice addition, but not an ace....for only a year and a half.

Dempster is 35 years old and a free agent after this season, vs Matusz who is 25 and under team control for three and a half more years. Matusz is still finding himself, but if we give up on talented starters at age 25 as a rule, we're screwed. Really screwed.

Yeah, Garza and Dempster could make us a serious contender this year, but we can't deal our better assets for short term vets without feeling pain in the coming seasons. And Soriano is a guy they are willing to pay vast sums of money to NOT PLAY for them.....just because he plays LF and Reimold is gone for the year doesn't make him a great addition. Now, if you can negotiate an extension with Garza as a contingency of the deal, I can be swayed to the other side. But to me, that's the whole ballgame (pardon the pun). Making this deal does not guarantee a playoff spot, but it does put expiration dates on key components of our roster. One thing is for certain in my thinking.......if you do a deal like this, you go full out for Headley. You don't make a short term splash like this an leave our 3B defense and productivity as-is.

Well put. Arrieta and Matusz simply should not be traded any time soon; their respective values are about as low as they are likely to be, and there is a very good chance their values change significantly in the future. Aside from your pertinent warning "if we give up on talented starters at age 25 as a rule, we're screwed. Really screwed," I'd also add this: if we start making a policy of trading players at the bottom of their value then we're screwed, really screwed.

Is making the playoffs this year, worth mortgaging the next 5 years?

You don't even know who we are going to trade, so how can you make that assumption?

Guys can become available over the next few weeks that aren't available right now. Depending on the contract situation and talent level of different players, we might not have to give up big time quality talent to obtain players.

And let me ask you this, if we made a trade this year that would put us in the playoffs, you wouldn't do it? After all these losing seasons, I can't believe what I am hearing.

You don't even know who we are going to trade, so how can you make that assumption?

Guys can become available over the next few weeks that aren't available right now. Depending on the contract situation and talent level of different players, we might not have to give up big time quality talent to obtain players.

And let me ask you this, if we made a trade this year that would put us in the playoffs, you wouldn't do it? After all these losing seasons, I can't believe what I am hearing.

Couldn't agree more. Also, I don't think the organization is even remotely considering any deal where a team asks about Bundy or Machado.

Outside of those 2, I wouldn't really lose sleep about moving Schoop, Avery, Hoes or 1-2 of the group of Tillman, Britton, Matusz and Arrieta.

We've got a unique opportunity right in front of us. The division is breaking in our favor, plus we've weathered a tough losing streak, some injuries and torrid run by the Yanks to remain near the top of the division.

I know that we need to have young, cost controlled talent in order to compete long term. On the flip side, I don't want to throw away an opportunity to push for the postseason so that we can stand pat and hold onto prospects, what ifs and maybes just because.

Of course the right deal has to present itself. That's the challenge for DD and the organization and that's why they make the big bucks. Is there an opportunity to make the team better with external help and if so, what's the cost in terms of talent and dollars? We may be better off waiting on Britton, giving Tillman a chance, etc, as opposed to bringing a starter via trade. However, to dismiss the notion of trying to make the team better by perhaps moving some younger talent is just bad business.

Archived