Are Orioles Going to Make A Blockbuster Deal With Cubs? BR Story

section18

It would be smart to read the prior posts on here before responding. There have neen numerous quotes coming out of Chicago concerning the Cubs willingness to eat a majority of Soriano and Dempster's contracts in any deal that is made. Responding with comments that say we would pay their salaries just starts up new responses that are unnecessary. Nobody unless it's the NYY is going to take on these two players in any deal without the Cubs eating most of their salaries. The time left on each players contract including Garza's is also a major factor. This has been mentioned by most of the national writers and apparently the Cub front office has leaked this as well. So why say the Orioles would be crazy to trade for these players and eat their salaries? It's not going to happen.

Posting from Bleacher Reports articles is a far better example of "start[ing] up new responses that are unnecessary."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is making the playoffs this year, worth mortgaging the next 5 years?

I think after a decade plus of losing, I could care less about whether or not some of our younger players reach their potential over the next five years. When you have a chance to win, you win. Predicting potential is a big part of this spiral, no one is any good at it.

-Don

Hard to agree with this, especially with the 2nd wildcard. That changes a lot of things, IMO.

2nd wildcard does make more sense for us to go for it this year BUT... either Wild Card spots are worth MUCH less now. Both spots have to play the one game play-in. There's a 50% chance (at best) to make the playoffs. How would you feel if we made this huge trade and got a Wild Card spot and lost the one game?

Like was said, screwed. Really screwed.

We are a .500 team at best. I was thrilled with Duquette's offseason moves. He put us in a position of flexible depth, which is exactly what we needed.

The true test for Duquette will be whether he can have the discipline -- especially in the face of a growing clamor to trade for some big-time guys -- to understand that we are probably not going to make the playoffs this year even if we do add a premium talent, and to risk the future for a slightly improved chance at the "now" is not what is best for the Baltimore Orioles.

Let's win with what's got us this far, let's hold onto our prospects and young guys, let's add depth where it costs us little, and let's win the A.L. east without buying the A.L. East.

Hard to agree with this, especially with the 2nd wildcard. That changes a lot of things, IMO.

I am thrilled with the possibility of post season play. I doubt Dan Duquette is doing a lot of planning for 2017

We are a .500 team at best. I was thrilled with Duquette's offseason moves. He put us in a position of flexible depth, which is exactly what we needed.

The true test for Duquette will be whether he can have the discipline -- especially in the face of a growing clamor to trade for some big-time guys -- to understand that we are probably not going to make the playoffs this year even if we do add a premium talent, and to risk the future for a slightly improved chance at the "now" is not what is best for the Baltimore Orioles.

Let's win with what's got us this far, let's hold onto our prospects and young guys, let's add depth where it costs us little, and let's win the A.L. east without buying the A.L. East.

2nd wildcard does make more sense for us to go for it this year BUT... either Wild Card spots are worth MUCH less now. Both spots have to play the one game play-in. There's a 50% chance (at best) to make the playoffs. How would you feel if we made this huge trade and got a Wild Card spot and lost the one game?

Like was said, screwed. Really screwed.

I think I might be at that one game. It would be better than 162 if we won bud. Think about it. And Hammel could pitch it.

I think I might be at that one game. It would be better than 162 if we won bud. Think about it. And Hammel could pitch it.

IF we set it up that way. I don't know for sure but I imagine it would be like if the old WC ended in a tie. Play-in game the Monday after the last weekend series of the reg season. It'd almost be random for us and the other WC team who would pitch.

On the other hand... if we got the 1st WC spot (which right now we're like 1 1/2 game lead for...) then it would be a home game. :noidea:

I am thrilled with the possibility of post season play. I doubt Dan Duquette is doing a lot of planning for 2017

And this is the EXACT mentality that has brought us 14 years of losing baseball in Baltimore. Duquette is going to be my GM for life if he can handle the pressure that's coming to "make a move". We just aren't talented enough to think that adding "the final piece" is going to get us there. We aren't. And what we'd have to give up to get a *true* difference-maker would be way too much. Let's win this thing with the guys who have gotten us this far.

You know if MacPhail was here, he'd have this done by now. ;) Dude loved him some Cubbies.

Similarly, in the next few years, I expect Duquette to make several trades with the mid-90s Red Sox. Mike Greenwell, Mo Vaughn and pre-juice Roger Clemens would help this club quite a bit.

We don't have to sell the farm and mortgage the future, to add the mid rotation SP we need, plus one of a 3B/LF bat. I don't see why so many seem to think it's all or nothing. Suppose we traded for Saunders and Headley and platooned Davis in LF with Pearce.......:scratchchinhmm:

Would anyone trade Machado for Garza and Rizzo? I would have a hard time turning that package down. It won't happen but thats about the only type of deal I would trade Machado for. I would love to get Castro but I don't see it happening. At the end of the day maybe something like Matusz, Tillman, and Schoop, for Garza, Soriano (all his contract), Jackson, and Vitters. Garza becomes our number #1. Soriano adds some nice pop to our lineup and Jackson could be our LF of the future. Vitters has come along very slow but should be ready for the show by next year if not sometime this year. He could be our answer at 3B. The Cubs to have some nice pieces in Starlin Castro, Javier Baez, Anthony Rizzo, Josh Vitters, Junior Lake, and Brett Jackson. I would love to see a couple of those names coming back.

I can't see the Cubs taking Machado for Rizzo and Garza. That would be giving up Garza without a net gain in number of prospects.

I'm not saying that the deal is unfair--it just doesn't fit the Cubs' goal of adding prospects.

I can't see the Cubs taking Machado for Rizzo and Garza. That would be giving up Garza without a net gain in number of prospects.

I'm not saying that the deal is unfair--it just doesn't fit the Cubs' goal of adding prospects.

I totally agree. What I was trying to get at was that would be about the only type of trade I would do for Machado. I would also have to strongly consider Castro and Garza for Machado and Tillman.

And this is the EXACT mentality that has brought us 14 years of losing baseball in Baltimore. Duquette is going to be my GM for life if he can handle the pressure that's coming to "make a move". We just aren't talented enough to think that adding "the final piece" is going to get us there. We aren't. And what we'd have to give up to get a *true* difference-maker would be way too much. Let's win this thing with the guys who have gotten us this far.

I see Dan as a very good multi-tasker. I don't see him making this "blockbuster" but rather more moves like the offseason. Guys brought in on the cheap that we all scratch our heads about... but we all give him much praise and accolades for in a month.

He's still just starting to build up our system. Can't see him mortgaging that future to go for it this year.

Really? I thought we had been a seller for most of those years and not a middling buyer. I am not talking about blockbuster stuff. Not at all. But a little bit is certainly necessary to continue to compete.

Archived