Are Orioles Going to Make A Blockbuster Deal With Cubs? BR Story

section18

I totally agree. What I was trying to get at was that would be about the only type of trade I would do for Machado. I would also have to strongly consider Castro and Garza for Machado and Tillman.

I doubt if Machado and Tillman would net you Castro by himself.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am thrilled with the possibility of post season play. I doubt Dan Duquette is doing a lot of planning for 2017
"We're in contention, and we need to look at all the options we have to help our team, But we have some pretty good options in our Minor League system to bolster the team that we have here."

Peter Angelos "wants to win this year". "absolutely" had the support of the Orioles ownership to do whatever he feels is in the team?s best interest.

"We are in contention, so we are going to do whatever we can to make the playoffs,"

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2012/06/23/duquette-absolutely-has-ownerships-backing-to-add-pieces-at-the-deadline/

Duquette – who has stressed building the organization through the amateur and international efforts — made it clear he wouldn’t sacrifice the Orioles’ top prospects, but he wouldn’t hesitate to make a move that betters this year’s club without crippling the current farm system.

I would take this to mean Schoop and Machado aren't in play.

Really? I thought we had been a seller for most of those years and not a middling buyer. I am not talking about blockbuster stuff. Not at all. But a little bit is certainly necessary to continue to compete.

Half the OH is already looking to trade schoop, machado, bundy, or any combo of our young pitchers for an increased chance at the playoffs this year. Hate to see what this place is going to be like on July 23rd if we're still roughly the same in the standings. If someone wants to salary dump a vet on us for a C-prospect, sure, no problem...I don't mind spending a bit of money and a long-shot commodity. But let's not wreck the O's for the next 14 years by going All-in when we aren't holding the cards. Giving up guys like Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, Schoop, Machado...each of whom I've seen bandied around for high priced, aged vets is pathetically short-sighted.

You don't even know who we are going to trade, so how can you make that assumption?

Guys can become available over the next few weeks that aren't available right now. Depending on the contract situation and talent level of different players, we might not have to give up big time quality talent to obtain players.

And let me ask you this, if we made a trade this year that would put us in the playoffs, you wouldn't do it? After all these losing seasons, I can't believe what I am hearing.

It was a question!

Half the OH is already looking to trade schoop, machado, bundy, or any combo of our young pitchers for an increased chance at the playoffs this year. Hate to see what this place is going to be like on July 23rd if we're still roughly the same in the standings. If someone wants to salary dump a vet on us for a C-prospect, sure, no problem...I don't mind spending a bit of money and a long-shot commodity. But let's not wreck the O's for the next 14 years by going All-in when we aren't holding the cards. Giving up guys like Arrieta, Matusz, Britton, Schoop, Machado...each of whom I've seen bandied around for high priced, aged vets is pathetically short-sighted.
I think we will trade a young pitcher. One that we have given up on. And I hope we are right about which one.

And let me ask you this, if we made a trade this year that would put us in the playoffs, you wouldn't do it? After all these losing seasons, I can't believe what I am hearing.

wow, so you read something, then change it in your head? Cause I NEVER said that! I asked a question! Would he or anyone in here mortgage our next 5 years to make the playoffs, this year? Depending on who we trade for, what it costs, I don't have a problem with trading prospects. I'm not gonna like trading Arrieta, Matusz, Avery, Schoop and or Machado for Garza and his almost 4 lifetime ERA, Dempster and Soriano. Avery should be playing left field! IMO, Arrieta and Matusz are both better then or can be better then both Garza and Dempster who happens to be on the DL right now. I would like to get Soriano or Cuddyer for LF. But I'm not willing to raid the farm for ANY trade just to try and make the playoffs this year.

I think after a decade plus of losing, I could care less about whether or not some of our younger players reach their potential over the next five years. When you have a chance to win, you win. Predicting potential is a big part of this spiral, no one is any good at it.

-Don

Well I don't want the playoffs this year, if it means another 10+ years of losing in our future. If by not trading means we will make it next year, or the year after. When Bundy, Gausman, Avery, etc are ready to complement what we already have.

If Machado ever decides to get a new agent it looks like he won't have far to look. I would definitely trade him in the right deal. He should not be considered an untouchable. A deal is probably going to happen soon. Moyer was given his release and never was given an opportunity. He pitched well at Norfolk. Is Tillman or Britton coming up or is a deal going to be completed soon? Maybe both will happen.

Apparently the Orioles are looking for a lefthanded bat. Johnson has done little to help the team and may not be around much longer. The following link mentions Jim Thome as a guy who needs to DH and should return to the AL. He just came off a road trip with impressive numbers.

http://www.rantsports.com/bringingheat/2012/06/18/mlb-rumors-jim-thome-will-be-a-nice-cheap-effective-dh-option-at-the-trade-deadline/

If Machado ever decides to get a new agent it looks like he won't have far to look. I would definitely trade him in the right deal. He should not be considered an untouchable. A deal is probably going to happen soon. Moyer was given his release and never was given an opportunity. He pitched well at Norfolk. Is Tillman or Britton coming up or is a deal going to be completed soon? Maybe both will happen.

Apparently the Orioles are looking for a lefthanded bat. Johnson has done little to help the team and may not be around much longer. The following link mentions Jim Thome as a guy who needs to DH and should return to the AL. He just came off a road trip with impressive numbers.

http://www.rantsports.com/bringingheat/2012/06/18/mlb-rumors-jim-thome-will-be-a-nice-cheap-effective-dh-option-at-the-trade-deadline/

Key words, right deal! That deal does not include the names Garza, Dempster and Soriano! IMO

Now if the name(s) includes Hamels, I would be more interested. Or even James Shields.

Archived