Hoes is heating up

Frobby

How is Hoes' defense in center? Is it good enough that he could fill in for Jones if Jones was hurt for a few days? I'm wondering if Hoes, Avery, Jones and Markakis could be our four outfielders next season.

Hoes and Avery would (probably) make a very effective left field platoon.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is Hoes' defense in center? Is it good enough that he could fill in for Jones if Jones was hurt for a few days? I'm wondering if Hoes, Avery, Jones and Markakis could be our four outfielders next season.

I'd think that if Hoes and Avery were in the field at the same time, Avery would be the one in CF. He's much faster. Interestingly, however, Avery has a .971 Fldg % and 2.00 range factor/game in CF (438 games), while Hoes in his first taste of CF this year has a Fldg % of .977 and a range factor/game of 2.39 (54 games). Range numbers in the minors can be pretty deceptive, but there's at least some indication that Hoes is getting to more balls than Avery did, perhaps because he's a better judge of fly balls.

Just for comparison's sake, Matt Angle had a Fldg % of .994 and a range factor/game of 2.41.

Holy cow, for some reason I have gone through the last few years of my life believing that LJ Hoes batted left handed. Wow...As a right-handed hitter that changes a lot for me. How realisitic is this line-up for next year:

vs. RHP:

2B Roberts, LF Avery, RF Markakis, CF Jones, C Wieters, SS Hardy, DH Davis, 1B Betemit, 3B Machado

vs. LHP:

LF Hoes, 3B Machado, RF Markakis, CF Jones, C Wieters, SS Hardy, 1B Davis, DH Reimold, 2B Andino

What do you think?

Holy cow, for some reason I have gone through the last few years of my life believing that LJ Hoes batted left handed. Wow...As a right-handed hitter that changes a lot for me. How realisitic is this line-up for next year:

vs. RHP:

2B Roberts, LF Avery, RF Markakis, CF Jones, C Wieters, SS Hardy, DH Davis, 1B Betemit, 3B Machado

vs. LHP:

LF Hoes, 3B Machado, RF Markakis, CF Jones, C Wieters, SS Hardy, 1B Davis, DH Reimold, 2B Andino

What do you think?

Not too bad.

Hoes has been very good out in center field. He's not a burner like Avery, but he gets good jumps and has a solid arm. He could easily cover down in center field in the majors if needed.

Hoes has been very good out in center field. He's not a burner like Avery, but he gets good jumps and has a solid arm. He could easily cover down in center field in the majors if needed.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure Hoes played CF in high school.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure Hoes played CF in high school.

Hoes did play center in high school for St. Johns, as I played against him a few times. His senior year, the team was ranked as high as #2 by USA Today, and ran out nine Division I players each game (as starters, they had even more on their bench). Even amongst such a talented team, LJ was clearly the best position player on the team.

Like Tony said, he covered a lot of ground out in center. He was not the fastest player on the team, but he always had great reads on the ball. I hit a ball in a game against them that I swear LJ must have ran 60 ft to track it before ultimately diving and catching it, and leaving me standing in awe on second base.

His arm was pretty good too, as I believe he hit high 80's-low 90's on the gun. The best player I've ever seen in person, and I played against guys like Kevin Brady and Danny Hultzen.

Pardon my ignorance, Tony, but by cover down, you mean he could handle CF on a part-time basis, at best? He couldn't be a reg CFer at the ML level?

He certainly is helping his trade value. I feel like he and Avery are redundant, especially with Marakakis and Jones holding down RF, CF. I think Avery is your new LF...Hoes might be included in a package.

If the Os felt compelled to move one of the 2 ,IMO it should be Avery , not Hoes.

Pardon my ignorance, Tony, but by cover down, you mean he could handle CF on a part-time basis, at best? He couldn't be a reg CFer at the ML level?

No, I thought the question was whether he could play center field if Jones couldn't, that's what I meant by cover down. I didn't see anything or hear of anything with his defense that suggests he can't play out there, but some teams like to have that burner in CF. Ultimately he's a LF in Camden Yards where he'll need to cover some ground but if push come to shove, I could see him playing CF regularly.

Hoes was three for four with a walk tonight. Average is up to .321. Sizzle!

Wow! I've always said, one of the two (Avery/Hoes) would be traded. Hoes is REALLY forcing the issue, now. Is there really a place for both of them on the Orioles roster? One would think that in the next three weeks one of them will be in a different organization.

Archived