Hoes is heating up

Frobby

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to see LJ up with Baltimore in September when rosters expand. He's definitely earned the opportunity with the way he's performed this year. And I totally agree with EagleOriole, we need Bordick to work with this kid. How huge would it be if he became a viable option at 2b?

He's not a viable option at 2B. If the coaches thought he could play there, he'd be there. He may be able to fill in for a game or two in the case of an injury, but he's never a guy that's going to be regularly penciled into the line up as a second baseman.

I mean Hoes average and OBP is nice, but it seems most people pass by the fact that he doesn't hit for any power (gap or HR power) nor does he have plus speed. I know he could still physically mature a little more but there doesn't seem to be much potential beyond a singles hitter with average speed.

I mean Hoes average and OBP is nice, but it seems most people pass by the fact that he doesn't hit for any power (gap or HR power) nor does he have plus speed. I know he could still physically mature a little more but there doesn't seem to be much potential beyond a singles hitter with average speed.

I think you are being too dismissive of OBP as a skill that this organization is woefully in need of, I would love to see him batting 2nd.

He's not a viable option at 2B. If the coaches thought he could play there, he'd be there. He may be able to fill in for a game or two in the case of an injury, but he's never a guy that's going to be regularly penciled into the line up as a second baseman.

Exactly. It's amazing how some people think that just working with Bordick in the offseason is all it would take. If he could play 2B, that's where he'd be playing.

2 for 4 with a homer today. Now hitting .324/.395/.410 in AAA.

RZNJ, I don't know what your definition of an on base machine is exactly, but a .395 OBP is pretty darned good, and a walk rate of ~.10 BB/PA is also pretty darned good. A K/BB rate of 37/31 is outstanding. I have some qualms about his OBP standing up in the big leagues because he lacks power so he won't draw as many walks, but if he can post a .350 OBP in the majors that would play nicely on this club.

Hoes is having a nice year. However, let's not discount the slow start at Bowie. He's entire year is good but not great. A lot of his OBP is tied to his batting average as well. He walks at a decent rate but he's far from an on base machine. Will he hit .321 in the majors? If he hits .270 and plays LF he's probably not helping offensively.

You are hard to please. He has 62 BBs this year in 467 ABs...that is a decent rate? His OBP is 90 points higher than his BA...it isn't tied to his BA...seriously?

I like Hoes, and hope that he keeps progressing.

For some reason, though, I can't shake the thought that Hoes may be another Luis Mercedes. Another 2B with defense that made the team shift to OF, with high average in the minors, decent OBP, but lackluster power numbers. Mercedes ran a bit more than Hoes, but his success rate prevents me from saying he brought a superior speed element to the table.

Speaking of Hoes, I just picked up his, Machado, and Bundy's 1st Bowman Chrome cards today. I also have Machado and Bundy's Shorebird SAL league cards.

I've been on a mad baseball card tear of my own, going after Bowman Chrome blue's for O's prospects...

Archived