Really?? Unthinkable "catch" call in CLE-NYY game

Spy Fox

As a HS umpire, I've probably booted plenty of calls. But that's just poor to not make the fielder show the ball on a catch where it's real hard to see what went on. I'd expect so much more from an MLB ump.

Yep and he's looking head on at the play and can clearly see the ball come out of the glove and bounce 10 feet to another fan that picks it up and excitedly holds it in the air. There is no excuse for this kind of call and then he makes it worse by ejecting the batter.

The question is ... do you think this is gamesmanship or cheating ?

The worst part of it is, because the call was so horrible, Wise didn't even have to try to deceive the umpire. The umpire didn't even check to see if he had the ball. :eektf: He just called him out, and that was that.

The worst part of it is, because the call was so horrible, Wise didn't even have to try to deceive the umpire. The umpire didn't even check to see if he had the ball. :eektf: He just called him out, and that was that.

Ehh, Wise actually did pat his mitt and present his gove like he had the ball in it. Didn't overdo it. Just right. It was a pretty good acting job imo. Pretty messed up, but I still say it's funny stuff. I mean come on, the ump calling the out with the fan holding the ball right in the background. That's classic. Never seen a play like that in my life and probably never will again.

Ehh, Wise actually did pat his mitt and present his gove like he had the ball in it. Didn't overdo it. Just right. It was a pretty good acting job imo. Pretty messed up, but I still say it's funny stuff. I mean come on, the ump calling the out with the fan holding the ball right in the background. That's classic. Never seen a play like that in my life and probably never will again.

I just watched both telecasts again, and I didn't see him pat his glove. The fan helped Wise get to his feet, then the ump made the out call. Then the fan patted him (Wise) on his shoulder, and Wise trotted away.

I just watched both telecasts again, and I didn't see him pat his glove. The fan helped Wise get to his feet, then the ump made the out call. Then the fan patted him (Wise) on his shoulder, and Wise trotted away.

Yeah I just watched it again. He patted his mitt as he was walking away like he still had the ball in it. It was after the call was made though. I thought it was a pretty good acting job myself.

The question is...do you think this is gamesmanship or cheating?

Gamesmanship. The umpire clearly blew the call, Wise did his part by hustling and making a valiant attempt at catching the foul pop up. I do not think there's a professional baseball player alive who would have told the ump that he didi not catch the ball. Besides,maybe Dimuro would have thrown Wise out of the game if he "argued" that he did not catch the ball. :)

Gamesmanship. The umpire clearly blew the call, Wise did his part by hustling and making a valiant attempt at catching the foul pop up. I do not think there's a professional baseball player alive who would have told the ump that he didi not catch the ball. Besides,maybe Dimuro would have thrown Wise out of the game if he "argued" that he did not catch the ball. :)

The umpire should be suspended for never asking to see to see the ball. He then has the nerve to throw out Hanrahan for telling him he "never had the f***ing ball." This is what's wrong with today's umpires. Not only do they blow what should be an easy call, especially once he runs down there, but to actually throw the guy for arguing is ridiculous.

As for the Wise, I think that's total gamesmanship and he should be applauded. It's not his fault the stupid umpire didn't check for the ball. It's not different then putting on a phantom tag, or acting like you made a catch in the outfield when you really trapped it. It's part of the game. The umpire is clearly the dingbat here.

The umpire should be suspended for never asking to see to see the ball. He then has the nerve to throw out Hanrahan for telling him he "never had the f***ing ball." This it's what's wrong with today's umpires. Not only do they blow what should be an easy call, especially once he runs down there, but to actually throw the guy for arguing it is ridiculous.

As for the Wise, I think that's total gamesmanship and he should be applauded. It's not his fault the stupid umpire didn't check for the ball. It's not different then putting on a phantom tag, or acting like you made a catch in the outfield when you really trapped it. It's part of the game. The umpire is clearly the dingbat here.

Is it the same as having a trainer come over and check out your hand when the ball hit the knob of the bat?

Archived