Stark hears Orioles in on Garza talks...

Bazooka Jones

But obviously... no Machado or Bundy added in those talks.

"Teams that have talked with the Orioles say they're right in the thick of the Garza discussions, but they continue to make clear to the Cubs -- and to the rest of civilization -- that Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy aren't going to be part of any trade conversation, with anybody."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings120629/mike-trout-bryce-harper-potentially-all-time-greats

So my Manny/Bundy for Bryce Harper and Steven Strasburg trade dreams have been dashed? Oh mercy!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from OBP, he's doing well at the plate this year. He's another HR bat. Garza's talent speaks for itself.

I think a 5th starter can be found at the deadline to replace Hunter, unless they go the Tillman route.

Agree that Soriano is very $$$ but those 14 bombs and 45 RBI's and .270 BA look pretty good to me right now. This team needs to hit...If the Cubs could pick

up some of that money and we take on say, 10 mill...I's try and get him in a package with Garza.He's also insurance for Reimold, if, when he EVER comes back.

Why in the hell would anybody want Soriano...

It's just hard to convince people that OBPing .300 is the equivalent of hitting .200. Soriano has been replacment or sub-replacement for years. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and he continues to be a 120 OPS+ hitter with a reasonable OBP, but his recent history suggests otherwise.

To me Soriano is just adding to the Orioles greatest weakness: a huge inability to get on base. 14 homers don't mean a whole lot if they're accompanied by outs in 70% of your PAs. Even at the same salaries I'd much, much, much rather have Denard Span than Soriano.

The only way I take on Soriano is if they could get Garza plus Soriano plus some cash for Bergesen and Berken, or something like that.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't trade Matusz and Schoop for Garza.
Trading Schoop for Garza is poor.....adding SP is even worse.

Yeah, I had a feeling I didn't need to preface that opinion with "call me crazy." Anyways, you said it better.

Agree that Soriano is very $$$ but those 14 bombs and 45 RBI's and .270 BA look pretty good to me right now. This team needs to hit...If the Cubs could pick

up some of that money and we take on say, 10 mill...I's try and get him in a package with Garza.He's also insurance for Reimold, if, when he EVER comes back.

Cubs have already said they would eat 90% of soriano money.

I don't want to part with Schoop. We have so little positional talent in our system, I'd hate to see us lose what little we do have. Garza would be a nice piece, but one our younger pitchers and someone like Avery is all I would be willing to part with.

I think I would have a heart attack if the Orioles actually traded for a pitcher of Garza's caliber in-season. I honestly cannot remember that ever happening in the last 30 years.

Craig Lefferts!!!

Ok, not so much. Let's see... they traded for Juan Guzman at the deadline in '98, but he was basically just an average starter at that point.

Scott Klingenbeck and Kimera Bartee for Scott Erickson in July of '95.

Jay Tibbs for Dorn Taylor in '90. Not exactly...

That's pretty much it since 1980.

Craig Lefferts!!!

Ok, not so much. Let's see... they traded for Juan Guzman at the deadline in '98, but he was basically just an average starter at that point.

Scott Klingenbeck and Kimera Bartee for Scott Erickson in July of '95.

Jay Tibbs for Dorn Taylor in '90. Not exactly...

That's pretty much it since 1980.

"Def" Lefferts...man, that was an acquisition. I don't remember Lefferts being that bad. I think we just didn't score runs when he pitched.

"Def" Lefferts...man, that was an acquisition. I don't remember Lefferts being that bad. I think we just didn't score runs when he pitched.

Even though Lefferts only pitched a handful of forgettable innings for the O's, I think that was a massive win for the team. They traded Ricky Gutierrez before his 4000-PA, -3 WAR career even began. Guiterrez had the 4th-longest negative value career since 1980.

Even though Lefferts only pitched a handful of forgettable innings for the O's, I think that was a massive win for the team. They traded Ricky Gutierrez before his 4000-PA, -3 WAR career even began. Guiterrez had the 4th-longest negative value career since 1980.

If Gutierrez somehow reads this, how do you think he will feel?

Archived