Are Presley and Adair Going To Be Replaced Before the All - Star Break?

section18

Just replace Pressley with Nelson Cruz. He may be along with frank Robinson the best pure hitter I have ever seen in an Orioles uniform. Without him they have no offense right now especially with Wieters out and Davis and Manny not hitting and anytime Flaherty is in the lineup.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He needs some decent protection.

He is now suffering the effects of the new baby syndrome. A few seasons ago the same new baby syndrome caused Markakis to slump most of that season. It was discussed quite frequently here as I recall.

He is now suffering the effects of the new baby syndrome. A few seasons ago the same new baby syndrome caused Markakis to slump most of that season. It was discussed quite frequently here as I recall.

Enough with the baby crap too !!

Watching the re-run of tonight's game a few minutes ago I looked at Davis's first at bat closely. I mentioned the other day he appears to have backed off the plate a little to try to get a better swing on the low inside pitches he is seeing and as a result the pitchers finish him off with the down and away pitch he usually swings at and misses. He can't reach the pitch if it's a strike and usually it's a ball. He might as well stop swinging at that pitch and hope it's called a ball and hope he can handle the down and inside pitch better. Before the pitch is thrown to him he is taking a lot of HR type swings and when he slows it down he sort of goes back and forth with the bat up in the air before swinging. He needs to relax and take easier swings and keep the bat still just before the pitch is thrown to him. He is wound up it appears like AJ and his swings on pitches are uppercuts like he is trying to hit 450' home run. I don't have any film on him but his swings were more level in the past.

I think the more prescient point is that we faced the guy who leads ALL of Major League Baseball in walks tonight and we didn't draw a single solitary one.

And don't tell me he was throwing all strikes. Especially in the later innings, we swung at a whole bunch of balls.

What we are doing at the plate isn't working. Adam jones needs to get it through his head he is not the super star he thinks he is and he never will be until he learns to be more selective.

Major league teams make adjustments and they know both jones and Davis's weaknesses and are exploiting them big time. If pressely and buck can't get through to them about changing their approaches, we need to find someone who can. Because what they are giving us so far this year isn't nearly good enough.

It's time the Orioles stop kidding themselves. Our hitting coach is not helping our hitters. So either do away with the position and save your money DD or replace him. You can't fire the lineup or replace it so the coach has to go. NOW!

This is nothing more than a rant following a poor offensive performance. In the previous 8 games the Orioles averaged over 6 runs a game and posted an .899 OPS. But one bad day and it's time to fire the hitting coach!

There are some things I don't like about Presley, but this is one of the most reactionary threads I've ever seen.

When we played Milwaukee, did you notice how often their hitters went to the opposite field, and usually for extra base hits, sometimes because we were using "The Shift."

Our hitters, with a few exceptions, are either too stupid, too stubborn, or too unskilled to do the same. Davis would be hitting .350, and have an OBP of .400+, if he would bunt every now and then, and learn how to slap the ball to the opposite field. Force them to abandon the shift.

And I get so frustrated at Jones swinging from the heels and trying to pull every ball that comes within 3 feet of home plate.

When we played Milwaukee, did you notice how often their hitters went to the opposite field, and usually for extra base hits, sometimes because we were using "The Shift."

Our hitters, with a few exceptions, are either too stupid, too stubborn, or too unskilled to do the same. Davis would be hitting .350, and have an OBP of .400+, if he would bunt every now and then, and learn how to slap the ball to the opposite field. Force them to abandon the shift.

And I get so frustrated at Jones swinging from the heels and trying to pull every ball that comes within 3 feet of home plate.

Davis went through a rough stretch last year when they were drilling him inside. He eventually made the adjustments and was ok. This period has certainly been more painful. I'm guessing complicated by injury/timing issues.

Where would we be without Nelson Cruz? 10 maybe 12 games out? When Crowley was hitting coach we ripped him day after day. When the games were taking place you would see him in the dugout usually near the steps that lead to the tunnel and you'd see him talking to the hitters. I don't see Presley in the dugout talking to the hitters trying to help them or giving them any suggestions. I hate dumping on someone but criticism is needed and I feel justified. Buck needs to make a decision soon. I'd like to see Brady Anderson in the dugout helping the hitters. They relate to him and I think they would listen to him. The team appears flat. Several of our key hitters are not helping us right now. They are swinging at pretty much anything coming near the plate. I said a week or so ago I think Davis and AJ are caught up in Cruz's success. Both are making more than Cruz and he is leaving them far behind in HR's and RBI'S. They are trying to hit HR's every time they bat.

We need Morales in this lineup and soon. Someone besides Cruz to drive in runs. How many games have we lost by 2 runs or less so far this season. Tonight a reliever named Fields with an almost 8 ERA throws two innings with 3 K's and looks like Rivera. Hardy's strikeout in the ninth was awful. Where was the pitch that struck him out? Correct ! Down and away and a ball outside that he lunged at because he's so far off the plate he can't reach the center of the plate with his swings. The catchers and pitchers see this. So he continues to flail away and gets a few singles and a double once in awhile. Still 0 HR'S and 13 RBI'S. Anemic! Buck and the hitting coach and maybe DD need to talk to JJ and try to help him.

Right. Having three guys in Hardy's ear will really help his struggles.:rolleyestf:

Hardy has always set up far away from the plate. Obviously he's struggling this year. There could be several things contributing to this, including some nagging injuries and being in a contract year. Hardy is going to be the one who makes the decision to change his approach. After all, he's the guy who goes up there with the bat in his hands.

I can see Presley getting the ax if the Orioles continue to struggle offensively this year. However, I think that he would only be a sacrificial lamb. I have my doubts that any hitting coach can change this collective group of free swingers into patient walking machines. This is the team that DD constructed.

Right now we are around average or a little below average offensively in the AL.

Our pitching is ranked 13/15 however....so that would seem to be more of an issue in my humble opinion.

If we want to make the playoffs we probably need to be above average at something.

Pitching coach isn't going to change the batters, you really think Adam is going to change?.. he doesn't get paid to walk.

Everyone who goes to boston or ny turns into OBP machines. So hitting coaching sure as hell as a lot to do with the fact not one gut on our team knows how to properly take a pitch or foul anything off untill they get their pitch.

With Adam Jones its not even about me wanting him to walk more. Hes ALWAYS swinging at the pitchers pitch (and usually the dirts pitch). If he had any sense of patience he would get far more of what hes paid for and thats homeruns and rbis.

But its certainly not just Adam, I guarentee if Manny was on the red sox he would be a far more advanced hitter. Just look at Bogaerts. He is not on Mannys level imo and yet has a rediculous .388 obp that would be far and away the highest on our team.

Hitting coaching has a lot to do with this but its also on Buck for enforcing this aggressive gameplan that only works when guys like Davos, Hardy, and Jones are actually hitting homeruns. Im really sick of seeing the Os starters at 85 pitches in the 4th and the opposing teams scrubs still in the 30s in the 4th. Its pathetic.

This is nothing more than a rant following a poor offensive performance. In the previous 8 games the Orioles averaged over 6 runs a game and posted an .899 OPS. But one bad day and it's time to fire the hitting coach!

There are some things I don't like about Presley, but this is one of the most reactionary threads I've ever seen.

I agree this is mostly reactionary but at the same time I hate the orioles current hitting philosophy. Prior to last night's game Brad Peacock had given up 3.6 walks per game in his previous six games. Last night he gives up none. You can't ignore that.

At the same time they took 5 walks the night before against Gallardo. It's maddeningly inconsistent. It goes back to what I have been saying all year, this team looks unfocused and without a game plan. The only guy who really seems focused, makes every at bat count is Cruz. And we all know he seeking redemption and probably a pay day.

Archived