O's making trade (O's acquire Thome)

xian4

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like giving up Lino in this deal. That's too steep a price for a 3 month rental of a 40 yr old. I like Thome - but he shouldn't cost a top 10 prospect at this stage.

He probably isn't a top 10 prospect at this point, especially after the 2012 draft. You have to give up talent to get talent, Lino and Simon feels about right to me.

From your response, I assume you do. For those of us who don't, would you mind filling us in? Thanks.

See my response to waroriole. He also has a decent OBP clip. To me, he seems to have some pure power. Reynolds type IMO.

Joe Jordan knows the O's farm system very well.

Simon is a Joe Jordan Special: sinkerballing SP/RP tweener with fringy secondaries. I don't think the current regime is as enamored with those kinds of players.

From your response, I assume you do. For those of us who don't, would you mind filling us in? Thanks.

I know what I read on here. He's a 19 y/o C in the SAL who is holding his own offensively. He had a torrid start, but cooled off quickly. Is supposed to be a solid defensive C, with some good power potential. He was a Top 10 prospect......entirely too much for Thome.

I just don't see what Thome gives us that Reynolds won't.......certainly not enough to lose a guy who could conceivably replace Wieters if he leaves in FA.

Do you know anything about Lino?

I am not a huge fan of getting rid of Lino, and for those who are saying we shouldn't give up a top 10 prospect for Thome, consider the fact that just because you make a top 10 list for the Orioles, doesn't mean you have to be that good. I am of the opinion that Lino is not going to be a star. I am not a fan of the trade due to not wanting Thome on the team as he really doesn't fix much of anything, but I'm okay with getting rid of the two players who they traded. Lino is light years away from the Majors, if he ever even gets there. People act like we've given up a future all-star on the cusp of a call up.

As much as I don't like giving up Lino, we do have to remember that he is a serious work in progress and is at least 3-4 years away from the majors. Though I would have preferred to keep his upside.

You're right that he's a project, but he seems to have everything necessary to be an above average ML C. He may not make it at all, but you don't give up on a 19 y/o C prospect for Thome.......who gives us nothing that Reynolds doesn't.

DD on the trade:

“Jim Thome is a real pro. And he specializes in hitting home runs and getting on base. He has done that consistently. Beyond that he is a terrific teammate, a steady presence and he is a veteran. He has been around the league and he has been in a pennant race and in the playoffs. I like all those things that he brings to our team. I think he gives us a little more depth to our lineup with the injuries to our left-handed hitters.”

Source: http://sulia.com/source/S-64541/?source=twitter&guid=d1aa847d-1ea2-4ba0-892d-007eeaa942ab

I am not a huge fan of getting rid of Lino, and for those who are saying we shouldn't give up a top 10 prospect for Thome, consider the fact that just because you make a top 10 list for the Orioles, doesn't mean you have to be that good. I am of the opinion that Lino is not going to be a star. I am not a fan of the trade due to not wanting Thome on the team as he really doesn't fix much of anything, but I'm okay with getting rid of the two players who they traded. Lino is light years away from the Majors, if he ever even gets there. People act like we've given up a future all-star on the cusp of a call up.

That's certainly a reasonable opinion to hold..........but I'm sure you would say there is a decent chance he becomes an everyday player. Is that really worth the extra .5 win that Thome gives us?

You're right that he's a project, but he seems to have everything necessary to be an above average ML C. He may not make it at all, but you don't give up on a 19 y/o C prospect for Thome.......who gives us nothing that Reynolds doesn't.

Precursor to a Reynolds deal?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Archived