Miguel Gonzalez Tonight

OFFNY

Please merge this with Gonzo Part II's original thread which was sent to the minor league section. Thanks.

MIGUEL GONZALEZ O(vs. INDIANS 7/01)

IP:O 4.33 *

H:o. 4

R:O. 1

BB:. 3

SO:. 5

Pitches: 82 (50 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.31

* Gonzalez entered the game with runners on first and second with nobody out in the 5th inning.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really impressive on a hot day in a "no-win" situation. Since the game wasn't close when he entered, he didn't have much to gain by keeping the score close... but he did.

A breath of fresh air out of the pen.

Belt high strikes.

Sure. Matusz threw a higher percentage of strikes than Gonzalez today. Command/quality/consistency..even confidence matter. Gonzalez looked ok today. Three walks in 4 innings isn't good. He's certainly better than what we've been seeing from some of the others.

Sure. Matusz threw a higher percentage of stikes than Gonzalez today. Command/quality/consistency..even confidence matter. Gonzalez looked ok today. Three walks in 4 innings isn't good. He's certainly better than what we've been seeing from some of the others.

I like the fact that he held them to 1 run in the same amount of innings pitched as Matusz. At the end of the day that's what counts.

I like the fact that he held them to 1 run in the same amount of innings pitched as Matusz. At the end of the day that's what counts.

Actually, Gonzalez pitched 1/3 of an inning more than Matusz. Also, Gonzalez inherited a big jam from Matusz when he entered the game (runners on first and second with nobody out.) Matusz didn't have that problem when he started the game today.

Gonzalez deserves a chance to start, IMO. He's nothing great and he wasn't at his best today but still did a good job. Fastball command was just so so today as he was much better the first time I saw him pitch. Still he doesn't make nearly the amount of mistake pitches that Matusz does. As I said before, at best he might be a RH version of Chen. Good fastball command with iffy secondaries who can give you 6 IP and keep you in the game. After watching Matusz get every chance in the book, I'd at least like to see Gonzalez for 3 or 4 starts.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm a bit worried he'll get lineup stacked with LHB's and be exposed. I haven't noticed a changeup yet. Looks like 4S FB/SL and an iffy splitter. But as you've summarized (re his FB command) he looks a lot better than what we've got with Matusz at this point.

Manny Acta said his team is not a good hitting team. Just goes to show you what Piss poor pitching can do to make then look like the 27 Yankees, and mediocre pitching can hold them down.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Archived