Orioles Discussing Machado Promotion to Norfolk

Brendan25

Im not sure why they promote Machado as soon as he gets hot. Wieters had that great year in Bowie and still struggled for several years in the majors. He should spend this year in Bowie and at least a month if not longer in Norfolk next season.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking for the link but I remember in one interview earlier this season, Duquette clearly stating that prospects should be given a full year at Double A before being promoted. Was he referring to pitchers, am I making this up? I can't find it anywhere now.

I think he was talking about pitchers, IIRC.

Isn't the problem with Norfolk just in April and May because of the wind direction? I'd rather have him stay in Bowie for a while longer too, to be honest.

This makes me wonder if they are considering him as a ML SS next year and moving Hardy to third as a way to solve the 3B problem.

Or possibly just the opposite with Hardy staying at SS and Machado sliding in at 3rd.

As for Machado's promotion... selfishly, it'd be great because I want to see him play in Norfolk. But overall, I think we should wait until August or so before making such a move. If he continues to show he deserves it.

But if he plays an entire professional season in Bowie, that's not exactly horrible either. And in 2013, if he's not big league ready quite yet, he can start the year in Norfolk then.

I think we're jumping the gun here. Just because the FO is talking about moving Machado up at some point doesn't mean it's going to happen right away. Three weeks ago, it probably wasn't on the radar. Now, they can at least consider the possibility that he could earn a promotion this year. I'd be willing to bet that nothing happens before mid-July at the earliest. Giving him 4 to 6 weeks in AAA this year would be a great stepping stone toward next season.

IMO, MM is much closer to the majors than the responses in this thread indicate. MM is certainly worthy of a promotion at this point as I posted recently.

IMO, our FO needs to determine if MM should be in our plans as the Opening Day SS next season, or our SS beginning in late May next season or one who really won't be ready until 2014.

IMO, MM is much closer to the majors than the responses in this thread indicate. MM is certainly worthy of a promotion at this point as I posted recently.

IMO, our FO needs to determine if MM should be in our plans as the Opening Day SS next season, or our SS beginning in late May next season or one who really won't be ready until 2014.

MM is just killing it right now. Only 2 Ks in last 42 PAs versus approx 1:6 ratio season to date.

MM is actually at a level I am not sure I've ever seen. I've pointed out before when a prospect has both more XBH and BB than Ks in last 10 - well MM has more than twice the XHB (5) and BBs (6) each than Ks (2) in last 10. That is some kind of dialed in.

Archived