Left Field: Get Alfonso Soriano!

Flacco Machado

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is pretty incredible (aside from the fact that more than a few people actually think this is a good idea) is that you actually think that is pretty incredible and that you need it to be explained to you that 0 errors in 73 games means very little. Soriano has a negative dWAR this year, as he has throughout his career, especially bad the last 3 years (-2.0, -2.1, -1.6 on BBref).

Apparently you need it explained to you that he's still a much better option than anyone the Orioles currently have out there, especially when you consider his bat and what kind of impact he could have at OPACY. Or maybe we shouldn'e even bother.

It is also astounding that people who seem to have no problem whatsoever with Chris Davis playing in the outfield continually bash Soriano and claim that we should have no interest in him because he isn't very good defensively.

Uh, ok?

Wow....that is pretty incredible. Not to mention he's hitting better than he has in a long long time. I think it's pretty clear that this trade needs to happen if we stand any chance whatsoever of competing for anything other than dead last in the AL East yet again.

Come on Duquette' date=' show us you've got it in you![/quote']

The problem is that first place and dead last in the AL East is separated by just 9 games in the loss column and that is with every team in the AL East being .500 or over at the moment. I think that the Orioles need help in RF (Markakis), LF (Avery), 1B (?), and 3B (?) on offense (maybe defense too) along with SP#3, SP#4 and SP#5. I could see the Orioles making a Soriano/Dempster move and I could see one of Tillman/Britton locking down the #5 spot, but that still leaves this team hurting for a legit #3/#4 starter, 1B and 3B IMO and that is assuming that Markakis will be back and healthy in the near future and Brian Roberts is not going to the DL.

My point is that teams can add a couple players at the deadline, but the ability to add 5-7 players is almost impossible. The Orioles best chance might be to call up Bundy, Schoop and Machado and go all-in, but that isn't going to happen. I expect things to continue along this path moving forward and am still very happy with the 2012 product compared to what I thought that they would be.

Apparently you need it explained to you that he's still a much better option than anyone the Orioles currently have out there' date=' especially when you consider his bat and what kind of impact he could have at OPACY. [b']Or maybe we shouldn'e even bother[/b].

You probably shouldn't (nor should I), if you're going to make an argument as vapid as that.

I'll again say that he is not the best option defensively. I know that. But, his defense has improved this year. I look at it this way. Avery is probably better defensively and offers speed, but the big thing is, IF DD is going for it, then Soriano offers us the best chance to win, as long as we get either Dempster or Garza back. If we don't get either of them, then no deal.

You probably shouldn't (nor should I), if you're going to make an argument as vapid as that.

Yes, clearly you are correct that Soriano would hold little value to this team and therefore if the Cubs tried to throw him in with any deal for Garza we should definitely turn it down. Wonderful analysis, spot on!

I'll again say that he is not the best option defensively. I know that. But, his defense has improved this year. I look at it this way. Avery is probably better defensively and offers speed, but the big thing is, IF DD is going for it, then Soriano offers us the best chance to win, as long as we get either Dempster or Garza back. If we don't get either of them, then no deal.

Isnt Dempster on the DL?

It really depends on how much of his contract we would need to eat and if we could get someone like Dempster back in the deal for very little in terms of prospects.

I have heard the chicago is willing to eat all but $2-3MM of his contract. They want to move him but are probably going to wait until the deadline is near.

Cant't look at this in a vacuum for our team situation right now. Soriano is owed 18M the next two years plus some 10M this year I'm estimating. If we were in the proverbial "all-in" mode, then sure I guess we should look to pick him up cause the LF options are barren (I like Avery, but different debate/argument here).

At the beginning of the season I personally thought the O's chances of making the postseason was 0%, they proved me wrong. Now I think its more of a 15%, still not tremendous chances in my book. This is all my personal thinking, but this team just sucks to much to make a marginal (overpaid) acquisition

I want Soriano or Avery out there.

Pearce, unfortunately, isn't cutting it. Flaherty is suited for the infield moreso than the outfield but I'm not sure his offensive production warrants a starting role anywhere.

Soriano, as some have said already, is having one of his best seasons in a long time. If we're making a push for the postseason, and I sincerely hope that we are, I believe we should go for Alfonso. (Along with Garza) If we're going a different route than Garza, I think we should just stick with Avery. He's hit rather well and seems to be a spark more often than not.

If this was a perfect world though, Reimold would be batting leadoff right now for us.

Soriano is such an unbelievably bad idea, I can't grasp how so many people are behind it. The guy is bad defender and despite a decent start this season so far, he has also been a pretty awful hitter the last few seasons. He's also owed a ton of money. We aren't going to win this year, this team isn't good. I hope DD knows that like most of us do and doesn't waste anything on Alfonso Soriano.

Soriano is such an unbelievably bad idea, I can't grasp how so many people are behind it. The guy is bad defender and despite a decent start this season so far, he has also been a pretty awful hitter the last few seasons. He's also owed a ton of money. We aren't going to win this year, this team isn't good. I hope DD knows that like most of us do and doesn't waste anything on Alfonso Soriano.

I can't see us making a trade for him.. I think pitching will be our next move if any other moves are made. I'd love to just keep avery in LF, he's solid on D and he's not a much worse hitter than anyone else we have playing LF.

Archived