Left Field: Get Alfonso Soriano!

Flacco Machado

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is actually higher then anywhere else in the lineup.

Roberts, in comparison, is at .351, Markakis is at .363. Heck Wieters is at .328 and I keep hearing what a bust he is. ;)

I am not interested in a 36 year old with two years left on his contract.

Would you rather take your chances with X-man? Even if DD wants to go all out? I think he has a lot of talent, but is he the best option atop the order?

The best option for the team is clearly Kakes, but Buck would show "disloyalty" doing something like that to him, wouldn't he? :rolleyes:

We were discussing OBP not OPS.

Wow, you're a regular Sherlock Holmes there. :rolleyes:

Back to the subject. The last year that Soriano spent time at the leadoff position was 2009, when he put up an OBP of .295 in 335 plate appearances.

Would you rather take your chances with X-man? Even if DD wants to go all out? I think he has a lot of talent, but is he the best option atop the order?

The best option for the team is clearly Kakes, but Buck would show "disloyalty" doing something like that to him, wouldn't he? :rolleyes:

I would rather put Markakis there.

I would rather sink or swim with whomever then get stuck with Soriano for two and a half seasons.

Right or wrong, something tells me that DD will get him.

I find DD very hard to get a read on. The Hammel and Chen deals have worked out great but Wada was an overpay even if he didn't get hurt and the two Koreans he tried to sign were disasters. I hope he shows restraint and builds for next season.

I find DD very hard to get a read on.

Agree. The next 3 weeks will say a lot. Boy, is that an understatement. If the Thome trade had not been made, I would think we were standing pat. BUT, if you make a trade like that and you read between the lines with some of DD's statements, I would not at all be surprised to see Dempster, Saunders, Soriano, and Headley on this roster by the end of the month.

Headley is the guy that makes a lot of sense. If he can also pick up a pitcher who is not a rental, I could see that. But Soriano? No way to Soriano. Markakis is ready to come back, and I am more than ok with a revolving door of Davis/Pearce/ X-man in LF. Chavez needs to go away, he brings nothing that X-man doesn't bring.

I just do not see the sense in aquiring rentals for a big run right now. If DD can add some pieces now that help us this year and beyond then great.

• 3 weeks later...
Seems like the popular opinion is changing. I see more and more, "Soriano wouldn't be that bad" posts.

My opinion hasn't changed at all. He wouldn't be that bad. Just so long as the Cubs are kicking in enough cash ($30M+) to make it reasonable to release or trade Soriano when his OBP slides into the .280s. And the O's are only giving the Cubs a random grade C prospect.

Pearce, Chavez, and Avery have combined for around 274 abs 33 runs 59 hits 14 2bs 6 homeruns 26 rbis and an OPS average of around 635 in LF. Soriano in 364 abs has scored 39 runs 92 hits 20 2bs 19 homers 39 rbis and his ops is 827.

I see him as an improvement if the cost in terms of salary and players is relatively low. I think I would evaluate the trade by what we don't lose though I think we could gain from having him.

My opinion hasn't changed at all. He wouldn't be that bad. Just so long as the Cubs are kicking in enough cash ($30M+) to make it reasonable to release or trade Soriano when his OBP slides into the .280s. And the O's are only giving the Cubs a random grade C prospect.

That's why getting Garza is the key to the deal. I have said, and will maintain to say, that Garza must be in any deal involving Soriano.

Just saw a report that the Cubs are willing to pay 34 of the 36 Million he is owed in 2013-2014.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8205386/mlb-chase-headley-top-position-player-available

I think if we could get him for cheap at 1M a year then we are getting close to no brainer territory but idk.

Wonder what Duquette thinks about it.

Just saw a report that the Cubs are willing to pay 34 of the 36 Million he is owed in 2013-2014.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8205386/mlb-chase-headley-top-position-player-available

I think if we could get him for cheap at 1M a year then we are getting close to no brainer territory but idk.

Wonder what Duquette thinks about it.

The "Alfonso Soriano - Oriole Era" is coming...Are you ready? Garza ic coming, too. I can feel it in my bones.

Do I get any rep, once we trade for him? ;)

Archived