Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

Besides, Texas and the Yankees will probably win their divisions. It's really going to come down to us vs the usual suspects for the WC spots. That extra WC spot makes me want to go for it even more.

I really wish I knew the Brewers' asking price...

It doesn't for me. The one and done nature of the WC has, imo made winning the division a much more attractive goal then it was previously.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't for me. The one and done nature of the WC has, imo made winning the division a much more attractive goal then it was previously.

I think what Pedro meant was that the O's have a better chance of actually making the postseason with the 2nd WC.

It does, but it gives another team a way to sneak in. Then a coin flip to get to the real playoffs.

The problem is you've likely wasted your best pitcher to get to the ALDS. Whereas, the MFY are waiting with Sabathia.

I really don't think, in retrospect, I'd feel much different about an Orioles team that (1) finished with a winning record, but missed the playoffs, and (2) finished with a winning record, and lost a one-game playoff "series."

In other words, given that the margins are razor-thin, I'd be fairly anti-trading for Greinke if all the acquisition accomplished, in the long run, was squeezing an extra game out of the season.

Plus, even if Greinke took the mound in that one-game playoff, and his nerves weren't an issue, I have serious doubts about whether an O's team that has zero postseason experience could handle the pressure without (at least) a small cushion (i.e., more than one game to get their feet underneath them).

I really don't think, in retrospect, I'd feel much different about an Orioles team that (1) finished with a winning record, but missed the playoffs, and (2) finished with a winning record, and lost a one-game playoff "series."

In other words, given that the margins are razor-thin, I'd be fairly anti-trading for Greinke if all the acquisition accomplished, in the long run, was squeezing an extra game out of the season.

Plus, even if Greinke took the mound in that one-game playoff, and his nerves weren't an issue, I have serious doubts about whether an O's team that has zero postseason experience could handle the pressure without (at least) a small cushion (i.e., more than one game to get their feet underneath them).

Greinke participated in the post-season last year, so I don't think his nerves would be an issue, even though he didn't do well.

I'm kind of up in the air on the whole thing. If we get Greinke and sign him long-term, I think I'd be for it. If not, you are really throwing all your eggs into the basket this season, and I'm not sure that giving up a top prospect is worth one season...even if we do make the playoffs.

Greinke participated in the post-season last year, so I don't think his nerves would be an issue, even though he didn't do well.

I'm kind of up in the air on the whole thing. If we get Greinke and sign him long-term, I think I'd be for it. If not, you are really throwing all your eggs into the basket this season, and I'm not sure that giving up a top prospect is worth one season...even if we do make the playoffs.

23 hits and 15 runs (12 earned) in 16.2 innings over three starts...who's to say nerves weren't an issue? :P He definitely didn't do well, either way.

I don't know...adding all the pieces together (i.e., the potential anxiety problems, the likely trade cost, the long-odds of getting him to sign an extension, the fact that he gives up a LOT more hits on the road for some reason (his home/away splits are significant), etc.) makes me very leery about trying to go all-out to get Greinke.

I'm glad I'm not the one saddled with these kinds of decisions, because this is the kind of decision that'd give me an ulcer.

Both analysts on MLB Network (Larry Bowa and idk the other guy) said that the O's trading for Greinke makes no sense because we can't compete with the Rangers, Yankees, or Angels. This just seemed stupid to me because the way you compete is to get better players! The host was the only one who seemed to understand the point of: We are in contention for a wild card spot for the first time in forever and the fans want to see a winner/buyer for once so why not now?

And then Bowa made the argument that the Mets need to trade and make moves bc the team is overachieving and the GM needs to show them that management is behind them.

The logic of these analysts amaze me.

Conjecture: I'd imagine Greinke's level of anxiety was much higher when he was trying to prove himself as and remain a Major League pitcher. His livelihood is not in jeopardy regardless if he Greggs it in the post season.

I love winning more than anyone, but my livelihood and family come first. Anything he fails to accomplish from now doesn't really effect his overall situation.

I'm not saying he won't get anxious or "nervous" in the playoffs and I'm not saying he is complacent -- I don't know the guy -- but this is a completely different circumstance. Hopefully he treats it as such (and gets his usual good results).

Conjecture: I'd imagine Greinke's level of anxiety was much higher when he was trying to prove himself as and remain a Major League pitcher. His livelihood is not in jeopardy regardless if he Greggs it in the post season.

I love winning more than anyone, but my livelihood and family come first. Anything he fails to accomplish from now doesn't really effect his overall situation.

I'm not saying he won't get anxious or "nervous" in the playoffs and I'm not saying he is complacent -- I don't know the guy -- but this is a completely different circumstance. Hopefully he treats it as such (and gets his usual good results).

He has/had social anxiety disorder, it wasn't really even about proving himself or to remain a pitcher. He left spring training and wasn't going to come back, the issues he was having made it so baseball was the last thing he cared about.

Now I say has/had social anxiety disorder because this is something that can be out grown or controlled with medicines or simply awareness of the situation. So much has been made of him having a problem, but I don't think that it will really be an issue in the future or if it is will be a limited issue.

I would love the addition of Greinke just like anybody would, but I am not giving up Machado or Bundy period. These two young guys mean way to much for the future of this team to throw it away on a POSSIBLE run at the play-offs, and on top of that the guy is a FA and can walk at years end . Plus he is going to get a nice payday, I would offer Schoop,Avery and one of Arrieta/Matusz but that's it and I would hate to give up Schoop

Would give you rep for this if I could. Can't agree more.

Long term-sustainability>shot at a playoff spot which only guarantees one game. Let's put it this way, even if you get Greinke, odds are still probably 40% or lower to get a playoff spot. Then you have a game with a 50% of winning (if we're being generous--as you note, it could be even lower). .50x.40= .20-- is a 20% chance (at best--the real odds are probably much lower than this considering there's probably at least a 20-30% chance Greinke comes in and makes little difference at all over a 2 month span--there's too much variability in approx. 10 starts) at playing more than one game in the playoffs worth trading a real piece (or worse--multiple--but I don't even want to consider that possibility) of our future?

My faith in DD is starting to waver. If he sells off anything of worth for Greinke (that includes AAA boys Matusz, Arrieta, + Britton) it will shrink to new lows.

Count me in with the others who are seriously concerned about this/against this. I thought Thome was just Duquette being opportunistic/covering his bases/being clever but maybe I was wrong.

My... well, let's say my heart is super excited at the chance to see one of the best pitchers in baseball donning the cartoon bird, but my head reminds me that we could just sign him to a free agent contract in 5 months and keep all our talent.

Still way more interested in Headley, who should cost way less.

Time to concoct a 3-way deal between Milwaukee, SD, and us where we get all the good pieces and nobody else gets nothing.

Archived