Orioles are "going hard" after Zack Greinke

Greg

I don't think this trade is a good idea.

The reality is that the Orioles are a team that has allowed more runs than they have scored this season. We're incredibly fortunate to still be in the mix but that's extremely unlikely to continue.

The Orioles are:

a .500 team since May 1

12 games better than Pythag. suggests

15-6 in one-run games

Those are pretty enormous red flags.

I think we would be better served by selling instead of buying.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A team like the Yankees will still give top prospects because they are for the "now". The Braves and Orioles, I think, will be reluctant to give up high-end talent for a rental.

My first reaction was "who do the Yankees even have in re: prospects?" I was surprised to see they have three of BA's midseason top-50 (Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, and Tyler Austin). I don't know anything about those players, but hey...they exist.

My first reaction was "who do the Yankees even have in re: prospects?" I was surprised to see they have three of BA's midseason top-50 (Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, and Tyler Austin). I don't know anything about those players, but hey...they exist.

They also have the Killer B's, who are pretty highly regarded by their organization. Lefthander Manny Banuelos and righty Dellin Betances.

The reality is that the Orioles are a team that has allowed more runs than they have scored this season. We're incredibly fortunate to still be in the mix but that's extremely unlikely to continue.

The Orioles are:

a .500 team since May 1

15-6 in one-run games

We are also the luckiest team in the league by a pretty large margin according to BB-Ref.

They also have the Killer B's, who are pretty highly regarded by their organization. Lefthander Manny Banuelos and righty Dellin Betances.

Yep...Banuelos seems to have struggled a bit since reaching AAA. Has he dealt with injuries, or just growing pains? Same question goes for Betances...he's approaching what looks to be lost season territory.

He's at Advanced-A Frederick, he's 19 years-old, and he has been instructed not to throw his cutter at all this season.

I don't think Bundy will be promoted to AAA-Norfolk or even AA-Bowie within the next 30 days, much less all the way up to the Orioles.

I don't expect it either. But if we're still in the hunt on Sept. 1, I could see Bundy coming up and pitching in relief.....like David Price a few years ago. That said, we aren't going to be the hunt by then.

How often does an "extension window"-dependent trade actually happen? Year after year, we have tons of posters calling for trades on the condition that the player traded for signs an extension. How often does it actually happen?

AGon was. ....though I believe it technically boiled down to a verbal commitment due to time constraints.

Yep...Banuelos seems to have struggled a bit since reaching AAA. Has he dealt with injuries, or just growing pains? Same question goes for Betances...he's approaching what looks to be lost season territory.

I know Banuelos, who was their top prospect has a "tired arm" and they DL'd him. His MRI was clean, no TJ necessary, just a dead arm and they are using kid gloves with him. I'm not sure what the deal with Betances is, he is walking a TON of batters, but I don't think they will give up on him very quickly.

The Orioles are:

a .500 team since May 1

15-6 in one-run games

+1

Let's hope level heads prevail in the warehouse, or we're opening ourselves up to 14 more years of failure.

I think if you play the season 100 times to this point, the O's are in the 95th percentile or higher in this parallel universe. We just don't have the talent to get there through the next half of the season. We'd need another incredibly lucky run to get there.

+1

Let's hope level heads prevail in the warehouse, or we're opening ourselves up to 14 more years of failure.

I think if you play the season 100 times to this point, the O's are in the 95th percentile or higher in this parallel universe. We just don't have the talent to get there through the next half of the season. We'd need another incredibly lucky run to get there.

I completely see your point here, but I really get the feeling that if DD trades some young talent, that he will replace it. The guy doesn't just sit on his hands, and I'm convinced he's a pretty smart baseball guy. He's made some big trades in his career and found some great talent dating all the way back to the Expo days.

The Orioles are:

a .500 team since May 1

15-6 in one-run games

I completely agree with what you're saying about the red flags, but I completely disagree with your conclusion.

Yes, they have significantly out-performed their pythag; however, that's done and over with. You can't change that the O's are 44-38 even with those poor indicators.

A trade like this would be about the remaining 80 games in the season. With a TOR starter (Greinke), the potential for Tillman to establish himself as a solid rotation piece, another minor trade (Saunders?), and players coming back from injury, can this team go 45-35? I think that's certainly a possibility that makes a Greinke deal worth considering.

Archived