It's time to say a fond farewell to Brian Roberts

bmoreosfan

Brian Roberts is a class act. He worked so hard, never giving up on his dream of returning to the game. I really don't think he was ready to return when he did. Everyone could sense it and see it. He was thin, still a bit glossy-eyed, but Roberts is so respected by the fans that we wanted him to be here, to believe that everything was all right, for him and for the team. When he started off with a few hits we were able to overlook his age and his physical condition. And I think the organization respected him to the point that they brought him back at less than 100% just to reward him for what he did for the team over the years. We wanted Roberts back so much that we failed to admit the huge negative impact his return had on Robert Andino whose defense and offense suffered. Andino had become comfortable in the 2B position and the regular at-bats. After Roberts came back, Andino was frustrated and lost. Roberts poor performance at the plate and now his recent injury has set him back even more to the point that he likely will never play in the big leagues again. No, I don't think the Orioles should bring him back to play next year, regardless of his condition. Personally, I think Roberts should make a dignified exit rather than hang on for a few more years putting up poor numbers.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that he should call it quits, I dont think Andino suffered when B-rob came back. He wasn't frustrated at all either, he said himself that he would play wherever Buck put him, and that he wanted whats best for the team.

I guess I'll just repeat myself in every thread on this topic. There's no real reason not to give Roberts another chance to come back after he rehabs from this injury, unless his doctors say so. We don't even know how serious this is yet, we have no idea what condition BRob will be in when he returns, and we don't know exactly when he got hurt and whether this injury impacted his performance in the 2+ weeks that he played. I see no reason to prejudge the situation. Let's hear what the doctors say.

Agree with Frobby. Until BRob himself is ready to call it quits, I do not see why he should be written off - though of course at some point one of the threads of this nature will be right.

I know Andino is struggling but it should be his spot to lose if he does come back IMO.

Here's an idea... Ryan Flaherty at second base and #9 hitter.

I don't like Avery and Andino batting #1/#9. Avery can bring more to the plate then Andino. So lets keep Avery in LF, put Flaherty at 2B.... it can't be any worse than what Andino provides on the field and at the plate.

Brian Roberts is a class act. He worked so hard, never giving up on his dream of returning to the game. I really don't think he was ready to return when he did. Everyone could sense it and see it. He was thin, still a bit glossy-eyed, but Roberts is so respected by the fans that we wanted him to be here, to believe that everything was all right, for him and for the team. When he started off with a few hits we were able to overlook his age and his physical condition. And I think the organization respected him to the point that they brought him back at less than 100% just to reward him for what he did for the team over the years. We wanted Roberts back so much that we failed to admit the huge negative impact his return had on Robert Andino whose defense and offense suffered. Andino had become comfortable in the 2B position and the regular at-bats. After Roberts came back, Andino was frustrated and lost. Roberts poor performance at the plate and now his recent injury has set him back even more to the point that he likely will never play in the big leagues again. No, I don't think the Orioles should bring him back to play next year, regardless of his condition. Personally, I think Roberts should make a dignified exit rather than hang on for a few more years putting up poor numbers.

1. Roberts went 7 for 22 (.318) in his first five starts. He only got 44 more official at-bats before going on the DL. It's much too early to make pronouncements about his career. Yes, the lack of power was noticeable--all of his hits were singles and several pitches he locked in on only made it to the warning track--but that's something that could return given that he is so dedicated to off-season conditioning.

2. In his 10 starts before Roberts' return, Andino was 7 for 40 (.175). After Roberts' return, Andino went an almost identical 6 for 39 (.154). Since Roberts' absence from the lineup, he's gone 5 for 19 (.211). I.e., Andino's been consistently poor at the plate regardless of the B-Rob situation. He's also been much worse with the glove than Roberts could ever be; the days where Betemit is starting at third, Andino at second, and Reynolds or Davis at first, we are probably one of the worst infields I have ever witnessed. At least Betemit and Reynolds/Davis can compensate with their hitting; however, we need to find an alternative to Andino.

1. Roberts went 7 for 22 (.318) in his first five starts. He only got 44 more official at-bats before going on the DL. It's much too early to make pronouncements about his career. Yes, the lack of power was noticeable--all of his hits were singles and several pitches he locked in on only made it to the warning track--but that's something that could return given that he is so dedicated to off-season conditioning.

His offseason has got to be really productive because he doesn't really look like a major leaguer anymore. And he doesn't play like one either. He had -1.0 WAR in 17 games. By the eyeball that's like -9.5 WAR in a 162 game season. That's <i>amazing</i>.

Here's an idea... Ryan Flaherty at second base and #9 hitter.

I don't like Avery and Andino batting #1/#9. Avery can bring more to the plate then Andino. So lets keep Avery in LF, put Flaherty at 2B.... it can't be any worse than what Andino provides on the field and at the plate.

I agree with this. Flaherty apparently has 20 HR potential given his minor league stats. I think we've already seen the best Andino has to offer. I wonder if we should have moved him in the off-season when his trade value was at an all time high.

Andino's ......also been much worse with the glove than Roberts could ever be;

Definitely disagree with this part. More like Andino, even with a bunch of errors, will likely be better than Roberts will ever be imo. I thought Robert's range (and skills) looked pretty bad out there on defense.

Archived