It's time to say a fond farewell to Brian Roberts

bmoreosfan

Dan, you needed top of the lineup help anyway, because Roberts and the rest of the crew were not getting it done.

Not to mention that there is no good option out there to be had in midseason. No, Buck and DD bet on BRob this year...they lost. Maybe they get a better result from BRob next year or decide that they have to go get someone in the offseason. I suspect they will try the former.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in another thread, I would get Alfonso Soriano to be our leadoff hitter. If the organization truly wants to go for it, then they will have go outside the organization to find help. Xavier Avery is talented and may very well one day be a good leadoff hitter, but that's a lot to put on his shoulders for a team in a pennant race.

Get Headley as well, and things look a whole lot brighter for this team.

Stabilize the lineup...

LF Soriano

RF Markakis

CF Jones

C Wieters

1B Davis

DH Thome

SS Hardy

3B Headley

2B Andino

As I said in another thread, I would get Alfonso Soriano to be our leadoff hitter. If the organization truly wants to go for it, then they will have go outside the organization to find help. Xavier Avery is talented and may very well one day be a good leadoff hitter, but that's a lot to put on his shoulders for a team in a pennant race.

Get Headley as well, and things look a whole lot brighter for this team.

Stabilize the lineup...

LF Soriano

RF Markakis

CF Jones

C Wieters

1B Davis

DH Thome

SS Hardy

3B Headley

2B Andino

Soriano's OBP is very bad for a leadoff hitter and he isn't fast anymore.

Dan, you needed top of the lineup help anyway, because Roberts and the rest of the crew were not getting it done.

Yeah the mix of bad roster construction and bad lineup construction is really killing this team right now. Roberts is completely done as a major leaguer anyway, but you know if he didn't have his little hip tear they would've let him play all season to a -5.0 WAR.

but you know if he didn't have his little hip tear they would've let him play all season to a -5.0 WAR.

Unfortuanately, you are exactly right. Buck is definitely a "players manager" and his loyalty to a proven vet like Roberts is nice, but he should have to earn his stay at the top of the lineup, not have it given to him because of his talent before his injurie(s).

I think Brian can come back next season. He has from now until February to get healthy. He can work with Brady all offseason on strength and conditioning. I would give him the opportunity to come in healthy to spring training next year and see what happens. Either way he is going to collect his money. I think this will give him the opportunity to get back the strength you need to compete at this level everyday. Remember, everything happens for a reason.

Maybe. Remember when Roberts had his breakout year and was hitting homers like crazy? Well, at the time, he attributed some of the success to these colored glasses that he was wearing, even at night IIRC, that he claimed helped him to see the ball better. Did they outlaw those glasses? Why did he stop wearing them?

Pretty sure they were contacts, not glasses. So he may very well still be wearing them.

I've said this before... I expect him to tread water this year. NEXT year, with a WHOLE offseason of good training! And good health. I think he's a lot to closer to the Brian we all know and love.

Yeah I mean, sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes... well, he eats you.

Maybe. Remember when Roberts had his breakout year and was hitting homers like crazy? Well, at the time, he attributed some of the success to these colored glasses that he was wearing, even at night IIRC, that he claimed helped him to see the ball better. Did they outlaw those glasses? Why did he stop wearing them?

What are implying RZ? He only took the juice once.

Archived