Matzusaka officially given permission...

Sports Guy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question. Is there a miniumum posting fee. I mean, does his team have to accept the highest posting fee now that they've decided to post him. Say the Yankees only post 5 million but it's the highest bid. Does the Japanese team have to accept it or can they reject it. I ask this partly to answer your question. Sure, any team can wait until he becomes a FA but it only takes one team to bid something. Waiting only works if NO ONE makes a bid, and that ain't happening.

YES, the team has to accept the highest bid.

The only "out" for the posting team or bidding team is if the player and US team cannot agree on a contract.

If the player really doesn't want to play for the winning bidder, his only recourse is to not agree to a contract. If that happens, he must stay in Japan for at least another season. The Posting does NOT repeat until after the next season, assuming his team grants his request to be posted again. The posting team does NOT receive a dime from the highest bidder if a contract isn't agreed to with the player.

Come on SG, mlbtraderumors is the funnypages of baseball moves. Stuff reported there rarely happens.

As it rarely happens on here...But it is good to read the rumors and ideas...Plus, he puts good articles on there.

It is a one stop research site where everything is right there for you.

I am not saying everything will happen but that is the way it goes...That is why the site is called mlbtradeRUMORS.

http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/pacificleague10-9-2006.html

Scroll all the way down...Orioles mentioned.

Seems irrelevant to me. Pretending for a second that the O's won out the rights to deal with him, they still wouldn't pay him as much as he's likely to get. No doubt in my mind the Yanks are willing to spend more than $10m/year on this guy. It's already been stated that that's out of our budget.

Seems irrelevant to me. Pretending for a second that the O's won out the rights to deal with him, they still wouldn't pay him as much as he's likely to get. No doubt in my mind the Yanks are willing to spend more than $10m/year on this guy. It's already been stated that that's out of our budget.

It doesn't matter what the Yanks would pay him.

If we win the posting, he can only negotiate with us.

That quote bothers me. If you don't expect to be serious players in the bid to win ANY free agent, you shouldn't waste any time at all on him, period. What are they hoping for? That this guy has a love affair with crab cakes and will WANT to come to Baltimore?!

It doesn't matter what the Yanks would pay him.

If we win the posting, he can only negotiate with us.

I thought the deal was, if we won the posting, we're the only team allowed to deal with him for a certain amount of time, and if an agreement isn't reached, he's basically a regular free agent and free to deal with whoever he wants?

I thought the deal was, if we won the posting, we're the only team allowed to deal with him for a certain amount of time, and if an agreement isn't reached, he's basically a regular free agent and free to deal with whoever he wants?

Nope..He either signs with us or goes home.

He is not a free agent yet.

He's a free agent after 2007 though.

If the team with the highest bid doesn't offer a contract to his liking, he can spend another year in Japan and then come to MLB as a free agent next fall, free to negotiate with any/all teams.

I have no way to put a % probability on this scenario playing out, but it is a possibility. Matsuzaka isn't strictly obligated to sign and play with the team that wins the post bidding.

So in essence the winning bidder will have to offer enough $$$ that this guy doesn't simply decide to take his ball and go home for one more year.

If the team with the highest bid doesn't offer a contract to his liking, he can spend another year in Japan and then come to MLB as a free agent next fall, free to negotiate with any/all teams.

I have no way to put a % probability on this scenario playing out, but it is a possibility. Matsuzaka isn't strictly obligated to sign and play with the team that wins the post bidding.

So in essence the winning bidder will have to offer enough $$$ that this guy doesn't simply decide to take his ball and go home for one more year.

Good job summarizing what has already been said in this thread. ;)

Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure he's not a FA until after the '08 season.

Japan Baseball Daily - This is a link that Sports Guy posted earlier.

While Ota said that all options are open at this point, including turning him down, Matsuzaka will not ask to be posted after 2007 if his posting request this time is rebuffed. He will be a free agent after the 2008 season, thus depriving the Lions franchise of a lucrative payday that would more than compensate for their entire team payroll next season. So it is expected that he will be allowed to make the jump.

Archived