Dan Duquette says Orioles will not sign Seong Min-kim

xian4

From Steve Melewski on Twitter

Dan Duquette on Korean P Seong Min-Kim - "We are not going to sign him. We are electing not to sign him." O's had agreed to terms in Jan.

More Duquette on Kim - There was a time where we couldn't sign him, but we decided under circumstances the right thing 2 do would b move on.

And to think we caused an diplomatic incident over him

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We made a mistake on that and we've moved on. We made a mistake in the protocol agreement. It's important for the Orioles to respect the protocol agreements that Major League Baseball has with baseball associations around the world, so we apologized for that and we've moved on."

Have the Orioles moved on because they are not allowed to sign Kim?

"We've elected not to, There was a period of time where we couldn't sign him, but we decided under the circumstances that the right thing to do would be to move on."

I am glad that they are electing not to sign him, at least for the money they were talking about. But I bet a lot has to do with the fact that he falls under the new international spending guidelines.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the kid isn't the player they were told he was. Notice no other MLB teams are jumping in.

Wherever he's from. I thought it was Taiwan. I guess it's South Korea. My bad, but just insert South Korea for Taiwan then.

Regardless...my understanding of the situation was that he'd been prohibited from playing ball in his home country. That's not to say he couldn't go elsewhere, but, if he's just...not that talented (yet?), then being stripped of the opportunity to develop his game "at home" really sucks.

DD's administration has done several good things so far, but this is about as far from good as a person/organization can manage.

Yes, but bans have a way of being lifted. I'm just saying, he could be reinstated. It's not necessarily a permanent ban even if it was called permanent.

He could be, I would like to know if he is, and if not, what, if anything the O's will do about the situation.

Yes, but bans have a way of being lifted. I'm just saying, he could be reinstated. It's not necessarily a permanent ban even if it was called permanent.

I mean...that's all well and good, but, if something like that happened in this country (or to someone you know), would saying "well, the team screwed up, but the ban might not be permanent" seem satisfactory to you? Near as I can tell, the kid (and he is a "kid") simply got caught up in a big, professional organization's blunder.

Don't get me wrong, when it's all said and done, if I'm being honest, I'm not going to lose much sleep over the whole ordeal. But it's really unacceptable, IMO, that the player in question has to bear the brunt of the Orioles' failure(s). As CoC indicated...I'd like to know what the team is planning to do in the event that the kid can't obtain reinstatement/eligibility.

How does the kid, and his agent, not get any of the blame on this? Shouldn't they be aware of all the rules, etc. and be sure they have a guaranteed contract in place prior to being at a part in the process where the kid won't be allowed to play again?

How does the kid, and his agent, not get any of the blame on this? Shouldn't they be aware of all the rules, etc. and be sure they have a guaranteed contract in place prior to being at a part in the process where the kid won't be allowed to play again?

Oh man...normally I don't disagree with you so strongly, but (1) bargaining power in this situation clearly wasn't equal, and (2) how sophisticated are we assuming the kid/his family are when it comes to these things...especially if the Orioles' interest came as a major surprise, which, it seems that it did? (i.e., what are the odds that they'd prepared adequately, or what "we" consider "adequately," prior to the Orioles' walking up and offering half a million dollars?)

If any other party's to blame, it's the KBO for being such vindictive -----es about the process...but, knowing the KBO's reaction, I think the "moral" burden is on the O's to make things right (in re: paying the kid something for the damage done).

I think the kid is a victim in this, sure. The O's scout(s) screwed up. That's why that didn't resign him, IMO. Whether the O's should have still signed him for the original contract or signed him at all is a more gray area. MLB and the O's should talk to the Korean baseball federation on his behalf.

That I completely agree with. Helping to get him playing ball again in Korea would result in a no harm/no foul scenario, IMO. I sincerely hope they're trying to do just that.

So they ruined this poor kid's professional career.

This makes me very angry.

Regardless...my understanding of the situation was that he'd been prohibited from playing ball in his home country. That's not to say he couldn't go elsewhere, but, if he's just...not that talented (yet?), then being stripped of the opportunity to develop his game "at home" really sucks.

DD's administration has done several good things so far, but this is about as far from good as a person/organization can manage.

Incredibly bad form. Duquette, not you all.

Oh man...normally I don't disagree with you so strongly, but (1) bargaining power in this situation clearly wasn't equal, and (2) how sophisticated are we assuming the kid/his family are when it comes to these things...especially if the Orioles' interest came as a major surprise, which, it seems that it did? (i.e., what are the odds that they'd prepared adequately, or what "we" consider "adequately," prior to the Orioles' walking up and offering half a million dollars?)

If any other party's to blame, it's the KBO for being such vindictive -----es about the process...but, knowing the KBO's reaction, I think the "moral" burden is on the O's to make things right (in re: paying the kid something for the damage done).

Honestly, I'm not very well versed on this matter to discuss it much - it was just a thought I figured I'd throw out there. I mean to me, a gun wasn't to his head - I feel like that's what agents are for, to make sure situations like this don't happen. But again, it's a different world over there, I really don't know anything about it.

Regardless, I do feel very badly for the kid.

Archived