LJ Hoes - Untouchable in my book!

Flacco Machado

So the OP is saying the Hoes are untouchable in his book?

But seriously, he's got a peak value right now, you just make people pay that price. I think this is exactly the guy that you trade right now. His value really couldn't be higher, you sell him as a 2b, but know for whatever reasons you don't project him there and maximize his value. This is exactly the kind of guy that has risk issues and if another team wants to take that on so be it. If we're getting a legit MLB type guy back, I've got no problem moving Hoes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the OP is saying the Hoes are untouchable in his book?

But seriously, he's got a peak value right now, you just make people pay that price. I think this is exactly the guy that you trade right now. His value really couldn't be higher, you sell him as a 2b, but know for whatever reasons you don't project him there and maximize his value. This is exactly the kind of guy that has risk issues and if another team wants to take that on so be it. If we're getting a legit MLB type guy back, I've got no problem moving Hoes.

Who are you going to sell him as a 2B to? Is there a single team in MLB who hasn't had a scout at one of his games going back to last year or the year before or whenever they moved him off of 2B? Or won't go online and notice he hasn't played there in eons? C'mon, son.

I always like to flip the situation looking at trade like this. Would you trade Hammel or Johnson for LJ type player? I think most people would say no way. Seems like a nice little piece, but an every day starting outfielder with no power and not as much speed? I think that's not something that's irreplaceable. Trading LJ if it helps you get everyday starting MLB player, I think that's a no-brainer even if it hurts you because of following the past 3 years. If trading him helps us both short and long term, I would do it. And the idea of being only 22 does not make him untouchable. Think of all the below 22 year-olds who are/were MLB players. Current including Trout, Harper, Griffey Junior at the time, A-Rod at the time, Pujols at the time, et cetera. The Orioles are Not trading an all-star type player. And if he gets you the missing piece you need at this time, don't you have to do it?

I think Hoes is the best piece to trade right now, which is really unfortunate since he's from the area. I'd like to see someone from around here actually be a part of something special, a la Cal. Hoes could be that local guy. The issue is that because of our lack of team speed and a leadoff hitter since BRob, Avery actually fits our needs a little better. And with Avery, Jones, and Markakis in the outfield. There isn't much of a place for Hoes.

Who are you going to sell him as a 2B to? Is there a single team in MLB who hasn't had a scout at one of his games going back to last year or the year before or whenever they moved him off of 2B? Or won't go online and notice he hasn't played there in eons? C'mon, son.

Just saying, keep a high price tag on him. If someone loves him...sell him to them and don't think twice about it. If someone has scouts that says he can make it work...who knows. Perhaps the Phillies think so because Jordan drafted him.

There is value in Hoes, but there is risk. If you can find someone else that is more attracted to risk (2b or whatever, just an example) ship him out and touch make him untouchable.

I was one of the coaches at St. Johns College HS. I came aboard a year after he left, but he would come workout with the team often.

From being in professional baseball and viewing his skill set while working out this is what I can tell you. Wherever he goes, he's going to hit. When it comes to defense, he's a 'tweener'. But what the O's can't do, is keep yanking him back and fourth between positions when he's trying to become better defensively at one. And I'm sure the O's know that.

Ron Gant off steroids is a good comparison.

I very much look forward to Machado, Schoop, and Hoes being in the lineup together on a very good, young Orioles team.

Out of that crew hes the one I would trade first. However, unlike, Machado, he would need to be a part of a package. Hoes as a whole does not yield us a return that makes the team better immediately. Maybe you get a reliever but that would be a waste.

I was one of the coaches at St. Johns College HS. I came aboard a year after he left, but he would come workout with the team often.

From being in professional baseball and viewing his skill set while working out this is what I can tell you. Wherever he goes, he's going to hit. When it comes to defense, he's a 'tweener'. But what the O's can't do, is keep yanking him back and fourth between positions when he's trying to become better defensively at one. And I'm sure the O's know that.

Ron Gant off steroids is a good comparison.

You obviously know more about Hoes than I do, and all I can do is go off the stat sheet, but Hoes doesn't compare very much to Gant imo, and if he does, then it isn't very favorable for him.

Gant had a career BA in the 250s and a career OBP in the 330s; without his power (and if it was steroid based then he must have been on them his entire career, b/c he slugged 440 as a 23 yo in 88 and 550 as a 25 yo) Gant wasn't an everyday player.

Hoes hit tool and OB skills better be superior to Gant's, b/c if he has poor power, is relegated to a COF position, and is a 255/335 guy, then that isn't anything to write home about.

You obviously know more about Hoes than I do, and all I can do is go off the stat sheet, but Hoes doesn't compare very much to Gant imo, and if he does, then it isn't very favorable for him.

Gant had a career BA in the 250s and a career OBP in the 330s; without his power (and if it was steroid based then he must have been on them his entire career, b/c he slugged 440 as a 23 yo in 88 and 550 as a 25 yo) Gant wasn't an everyday player.

Hoes hit tool and OB skills better be superior to Gant's, b/c if he has poor power, is relegated to a COF position, and is a 255/335 guy, then that isn't anything to write home about.

Maybe I should refine my Ron Gant comparison. I'm not speaking about Gant's career. Just the type of potential he has as a player when Gant was going good in ATL. Where we all remember Gant blowing up. He's not going to hit the HR's like Gant (Gant off steroids), but he will be anywhere between 15-20. But he has gap power and can hit for avg. But you look at him, he's a smaller guy like Gant as in height. Reminds you a lot of a Ron Gant.

Maybe I should refine my Ron Gant comparison. I'm not speaking about Gant's career. Just the type of potential he has as a player when Gant was going good in ATL. Where we all remember Gant blowing up. He's not going to hit the HR's like Gant (Gant off steroids), but he will be anywhere between 15-20. But he has gap power and can hit for avg. But you look at him, he's a smaller guy like Gant as in height. Reminds you a lot of a Ron Gant.

If Hoes can hit 15-20 hrs he'll be an everyday player. He hasn't shown the kind of power yet, or really anywhere close to it, so I remain skeptical.

I like the hit tool and I love the discipline, so I have hope for him.

Archived