Live Updates From Bowie

weams

Not sure how accurate it is, but MiLBTV has him w/ at least 10 pitches that were strikes called balls. Not a great outing, but I'll selectively choose not to read too much into a AA start he helicoptor'd into to get 70 pitches of work.

Umpire does not give him a strike unless they swing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umpire does not give him a strike unless they swing.

"I'll let you know when it's a strike. I'll swing at it."

Ted Williams, on his conversations with home-plate umpires during his playing days.

I think when minor league radio announcers are (i) commenting on an inconsistent strike zone; and (ii) mentioning that nearly every batter has ball/strike issues that you're probably dealing w/ an annoying poor umpire.

Chris had his poor inning today without giving up anything loud at all.

I'll take it a step further. Even if they did hit him hard, I wouldn't really care. As far as I'm concerned, Tillman is just out there today getting a workout, keeping his arm loose, and essentially having a pitching session with the Baysox' catcher. If the players that happen to be standing in the batter's box hit his pitches, then they hit him. I'm not reading a single thing into it.

I'll take it a step further. Even if they did hit him hard, I wouldn't really care. As far as I'm concerned, Tillman is just out there today getting a workout, keeping his arm loose, and essentially having a pitching session with the Baysox' catcher. If the players that happen to be standing in the batter's box hit his pitches, then they hit him. I'm not reading a single thing into it.

I'm not willing to go quite that far. Tillman isn't exactly Cy Young out there, so IMO, he's always got something to work on. He's not throwing a bullpen session, he's throwing to live batters. I still don't want to see him get hit around or have issues throwing strikes. As inconsequential as this game is, I'd still prefer to see him go out and have a decent outing against a AA team.

I'm not willing to go quite that far. Tillman isn't exactly Cy Young out there, so IMO, he's always got something to work on. He's not throwing a bullpen session, he's throwing to live batters. I still don't want to see him get hit around or have issues throwing strikes. As inconsequential as this game is, I'd still prefer to see him go out and have a decent outing against a AA team.

There's always something to work on, but there's not always something to read into an outing by a major league pitcher in a limited, 3-5 inning stint in a minor league game in which the only reason why he is doing it is to keep him on schedule for his ensuing major league outings. If there is any critique that Tillman will/should give himself and/or his manager and pitching coach on the Orioles will/should give him, it should be strictly in regard to his pitches, his velocity, his placement, and/or his mechanics, not on the results.

Archived