Mike Trout...best in the AL already?

Moose Milligan

Talking to McNulty the other night, he asked if there's anyone better in the AL right now than Mike Trout. I said, no...Josh Hamilton is the closest I could think of, but he's older and has a bad injury history. We couldn't think of anyone else.

So two parts to this question:

Is Mike Trout the best in the AL right now?

Is there anyone else other than Trout who you'd pick to start a team with? (Position players only).

I wouldn't be ready to say Trout is the best in the AL, though it's very close. There are a few other more veteran players (Hamilton, Miguel Cabrera, Cano, Bautista) that you could argue have a better combination of talent and experience and are likely to put up better seasons than Trout, assuming Trout slows down a bit.

But if I was starting a team with one AL player, Trout is the clear selection. If you include NL, there are a couple others to consider. Harper, McCutchen, Braun perhaps.

Talking to McNulty the other night, he asked if there's anyone better in the AL right now than Mike Trout. I said, no...Josh Hamilton is the closest I could think of, but he's older and has a bad injury history. We couldn't think of anyone else.

Is there anyone else other than Trout who you'd pick to start a team with? (Position players only).

When you take age into consideration, I really don't see anyone close although you could build a case for Harper as well. Trout is an amazing legitimate five-tool player.

When you take age into consideration, I really don't see anyone close although you could build a case for Harper as well. Trout is an amazing legitimate five-tool player.

He did say AL only, so unless there's a trade going on where the Gnats get Bundy and Machado and the O's get Harper.... :D

I doubt he keeps up his .390 BABIP - his xBABIP is .337 (which is still really high, but it tells you how good he is at making hard contact). My guess is that his speed gives him another couple ground ball hits, so you can probably tack on around .020 to his xBABIP.

Even with this regression he's still a .875 OPS player in a depressed run environment that can steal bases and play fantastic CF. And he can't drink yet. So yes, he's at worst in the top 3.

I'd put Cano on my list of players in the running, and that's about it.

Seeing him the past four days, I don't believe so either. He is Harper and then some...that is unless McNulty disagrees.....:smile11:

I hate missing out on him but it is kinda fun to think that he slipped to #25 in the draft. I wonder what would have caused more uproar on the OH the night of the draft, the O's taking Hobgood or Trout?

So, will he be a Yankee or Red Sox in 6 years?

I've seen speculation that he will want to go to either Philly or Baltimore if he leaves the Angels because of his family. And, apparently, his girlfriend hates NY city.

Archived