Duquette and the Pennant: This Time It's Personal

Lucky Jim

At one time, tomorrow brought Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and Britton.

At another time, tomorrow brought Wieters.

At another time, tomorrow brought Reimold and Snyder.

At another time, tomorrow brought Ponson, Cabbrera, etc.

All of these guys were at one time or another considered "can't miss" prospects, and yet, most of them have missed.

Are you seriously comparing Bundy to Ponson and Cabbrera; Machado to Reimold and Snyder?

I will take 9 Wieters on my team any day of the week.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A pipe dream? Why woudl it be that? I just dont see DD making a deal for Zack where there is not an extension. IMO

What reason does Zack Greinke have for agreeing to an extension rather than going on the market (with the pay-off and freedom that entails)?

A pipe dream? Why woudl it be that? I just dont see DD making a deal for Zack where there is not an extension. IMO

If you were Greinke why would you sign an extension to play in Baltimore? You know the team that plays in the AL East and hasn't had a winning season since he was 13.

Every year I hear people talk about not wanting to "trade the future" for a win now approach. Guess what, that "future" we never traded away has seen us play under .500 ball for 14 straight years. Some Orioles fans have become so reluctant to part with the "future" that they get upset when we trade away C-type prospects for guys who can help us this year (Eveland, Teagarden, Thome) even if the chances of those prospects turning this franchise around were slim to none. In the minors right now we have two untouchable pieces in Bundy and Machado, and probably three very reluctant (Hoes, Schoop and Delmonico) pieces. At the major league level Wieters and Jones should be the only untouchables.

At the end of the day, I'm glad we finally have a GM who is willing to risk some of the "future" to win now. Obviously this has to be delicately because you don't want a ton of rentals, but it's time for the Orioles to show they can make a run and that they are players again. Even if we comes up short, and this is still a very flawed team, this will hopefully help this offseason when I expect Duquette to be very active on not only the free agency market, but the trade market.

Last time I checked, the future is not producing very well whether it be recent draft picks (outside of out untouchables) or the Calvary. That's not to say we don't have some players that can be part of a playoff team here in Baltimore, but it does mean I'm going to support Duquette if he moves some it in order to acquire players that will help the Orioles break 14-years of suckitude.

Let's make a run this year, and then show the players who can be part of a long-term core the money.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/07/how-far-should-the-orioles-go-to-make-a-deal.html

I've been pretty vocal about not chasing rentals or giving up real value for (what I consider to be) a largely speculative run at the playoffs.

But this makes me even more uneasy. Just as I wouldn't want Buck to burn out an arm in pursuit of redemption, I don't think Duquette's need to redeem himself should play any part in what we do this off-season (even if it's admittedly hard to avoid from a personal perspective). Thoughts?

You're absolutely correct, he has to leave his ego in the parking lot and make decisions now and in the off season that will benefit us in 2013 and beyond.

Every year I hear people talk about not wanting to "trade the future" for a win now approach. Guess what, that "future" we never traded away has seen us play under .500 ball for 14 straight years. Some Orioles fans have become so reluctant to part with the "future" that they get upset when we trade away C-type prospects for guys who can help us this year (Evelnad, Teagrden, Thome) even if the chances of those prospects turning this franchise around were slim to none. In the minors right now we have two untouchable pieces in Bundy and Machado, and probably two very reluctant (Hoes and Delmonico) pieces. At the major league level Wieters and Jones should be the only untouchables.

At the end of the day, I'm glad we finally have a GM who is willing to risk some of the "future" to win now. Obviously this has to be delicately because you don't want a ton of rentals, but it's time for the Orioles to show they can make a run and that they are players again. Even if we comes up short, and this is still a very flawed team, this will hopefully help this offseason when I expect Duquette to be very active on not only the free agency market, but the trade market.

Last time I checked, the future is not producing very well whether it be recent draft picks (outside of out untouchables) or the Calvary. That's not to say we don't have some players that can be part of a playoff team here in Baltimore, but it does mean I'm going to support Duquette if he moves some it in order to acquire players that will help the Orioles break 14-years of suckitude.

Let's make a run this year, and then show the players who can be part of a long-term core the money.

You can probably make a case for Schoop as "very reluctant", but I agree with you. Our system has not shown it can get players to the majors consistently. Simply put, this way isn't working for us and we need to consider a different avenue.

You cna probably make a case for Schoop as "very reluctant", but I agree with you. Our system has not shown it can get players to the majors consistently. Simply put, this way isn't working for us and we need to consider a different avenue.

Yep, forgot him in my rush. I'd move Schoop but reluctantly, especially with our glaring hole at 2B and no other legitimate second base prospects in the system.

Every year I hear people talk about not wanting to "trade the future" for a win now approach. Guess what, that "future" we never traded away has seen us play under .500 ball for 14 straight years. Some Orioles fans have become so reluctant to part with the "future" that they get upset when we trade away C-type prospects for guys who can help us this year (Evelnad, Teagrden, Thome) even if the chances of those prospects turning this franchise around were slim to none. In the minors right now we have two untouchable pieces in Bundy and Machado, and probably three very reluctant (Hoes, Schoop and Delmonico) pieces. At the major league level Wieters and Jones should be the only untouchables.

Yup.

I swear some people would be happy perpetually rebuilding.

Archived