Orioles sign Cuban outfielder Henry Urrutia

Greg

Nothing to complain about here. Keep adding depth to the MiL system, and see what pans out.

I hope they plan on spending the whole 2.9M allotted to IFA. I can understand not wanting to go for the "hyped guys", but get enough Schoop, Lino, EdRod type guys and hope that a few pan out like those 3 have so far.

I have no problem w avoiding the top of the market. In fact, in this new environment, I think it makes even more sense. However, I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't spend ALL 2.9 or very close to it, unless you can carry it over from year to year, which I don't believe to be the case.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Cespedes hasn't been bad at all. A 790 OPS in that park isn't anything to sneeze at, and I haven't watched him enough to form any opinion on his defense. He looks like a poor man's Adam Jones really, which should earn that money and then some by FA standards.

I'd still rather throw 800 grand at a guy like this guy, than 36 million at Cespedes. I think obviously you have a much greater chance at both recouping your investment or making a signifigant "profit", and the downside is so comparably minimal.

Funnily enough, Cespedes is actually crushing the ball at Oakland. .289/.375/.557 at home vs. .238/.274/.376 on the road.

Funnily enough, Cespedes is actually crushing the ball at Oakland. .289/.375/.557 at home vs. .238/.274/.376 on the road.

Hmm, that is interesting. Obviously, we shouldn't draw too many grand conclusions from a 60 game sample, but he looks like a ML regular, so he should at least return the investment for the A's if the standard is FA spending levels.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/07/orioles-sign-cuban-outfielder-henry-urrutia/

Note the article says his last year in Cuba was 2009-10. What's he been doing the last two years? Also, the article is quoting a prior scouting report they did, which is why it says he is 24 years old, though he is now 25.

He had to defect first. Then it takes quite a while to be cleared by the U.S. and Major League Baseball to be able to sign. Not sure when he defected-but he could have done so last year. It could easily have taken 1-2 years to be cleared to sign.

Fred The Shark Ferreira was responsible for the signing, and talked about it with Kubatko.

Switch-hitter, thinks he has the potential for power from the left side, corner outfielder ("for now"), and could move quickly through the system. Starts at AA, if he does well, moves to AAA, and a September call-up not out of the question.

The Shark sounds pretty high on him. Higher than "4th OFer type" this thread is full of. Plus, if he can continue to get on base anywhere near his past rate, his bat will be in the lineup as a regular (if and when he gets to the show).

The Shark sounds pretty high on him. Higher than "4th OFer type" this thread is full of. Plus, if he can continue to get on base anywhere near his past rate, his bat will be in the lineup as a regular (if and when he gets to the show).

Hmm...let's see. Approximately six feet [tall]. Roam...North America [and nearby locales]. Believed to be a fast-moving and fairly agile [seeker of talent]...

Yep, methinks Frank "the Cladoscelache" would be more precise.

(fun fact: DD did, in fact, discover Frank on the Cleveland Shale, not to be confused with the not-so-subtlely racist, animated TV series of a similar name)

(fun fact: DD did, in fact, discover Frank on the Cleveland Shale, not to be confused with the not-so-subtlely racist, animated TV series of a similar name)

I prefer the Burgess Shale myself. ;)

Fred The Shark Ferreira was responsible for the signing, and talked about it with Kubatko.

Switch-hitter, thinks he has the potential for power from the left side, corner outfielder ("for now"), and could move quickly through the system. Starts at AA, if he does well, moves to AAA, and a September call-up not out of the question.

IIRC, Ferreira was the OLDEST of the bunch of off-field people DD brought in. 70 plus?

Seems his eye is still keen. ;)

This cant make Hoes happy since they appear to be simular players, except Urrutia is 3 years older and probably gets preference to the big club because of that.

What it should make Hoes is determined to redouble his efforts to improve his skills (hit XBH, for example). The objective of player acquisitions isn't to make other players happy. They're supposed to make the fans happy by having a more successful team.

What it should make Hoes is determined to redouble his efforts to improve his skills (hit XBH, for example). The objective of player acquisitions isn't to make other players happy. They're supposed to make the fans happy by having a more successful team.

What Amp said!

;)

What it should make Hoes is determined to redouble his efforts to improve his skills (hit XBH, for example). The objective of player acquisitions isn't to make other players happy. They're supposed to make the PLAYERS realize that they have to bust ass if they want to make THIS team!

ftfy ;)

Archived