Does Flaherty and his .519 OPS have a place on this team?

ChuckS

It may be a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy but with the way this club is going right now they need to wait a while before they ditch Flaherty for someone who can give them a better chance at a playoff run this year. With the farm system so weak in position player prospects and the gaping holes on the major league squad at 2nd and 3rd it would be nice to get this guy half a season or so of regular at bats in Norfolk next year and see what he could do. He's shown a couple of flashes recently.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if Flaherty had been in Norfolk for the season so far, he would be hitting for good OBP with some pwoer, and playing a good defensive 3B.People would be howling for him to be brought up to replace Betemit at 3B.

It may be a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy but with the way this club is going right now they need to wait a while before they ditch Flaherty for someone who can give them a better chance at a playoff run this year. With the farm system so weak in position player prospects and the gaping holes on the major league squad at 2nd and 3rd it would be nice to get this guy half a season or so of regular at bats in Norfolk next year and see what he could do. He's shown a couple of flashes recently.

Could he be a piece in a trade? This would kill two birds with one stone. Also, the team getting him would probably be able to afford keeping him on the roster easier than we can, because they are out of contention.

Could he be a piece in a trade? This would kill two birds with one stone. Also, the team getting him would probably be able to afford keeping him on the roster easier than we can, because they are out of contention.

We would have to work out a trade with the Cubs before we could trade him ourselves.

I am inclined to agree with you, though Flaherty has looked a little better at the plate recently. In his last 6 starts he has gone 7 for 18 with one homer and a walk, and has had at least one hit in each game. Not a huge sample, but then, his entire season isn't a huge sample.
I'm thinking he and Andino don't have a place. I would prefer exceptional defense / speed with my UIF or UOF.

If you hadn't noticed Flaherty has made one error all year and it came in LF with another questionable chance in RF on a ball he let drop between he and Jones, other than that he's been solid.

Flaherty has a track record of hitting pretty well in the minors, and hasn't really ever been given an extended shot at anything in the majors.

I think his upside is greater than what Andino is giving us so if I was king I think I would try that for at least a few weeks to see what happens.

Also agree that the closer September 1st gets, the less likely we cut him. I think the O's want him in their system and are willing to sacrifice roster flexibility to do so.

Hard to produce with any consistency when your ABs are coming once or twice a week. He's gotten better with bat as the first bolded quote shows albeit a SSS.

I'm thinking he and Andino don't have a place. I would prefer exceptional defense / speed with my UIF or UOF.

Andino is a nice piece. Players that can provide average-to-plus defense at several infield positions are valuable even if they are only replacement level hitters. Andino is better than that as a hitter.

Not accurate. We could trade him and the new team would have to follow the same rules of keeping him on the 25 man roster the rest of the year.

Interesting. I did not know that. I would think he'd be an nice part of a trade to a non-contender then.

In the 9th inning, Flaherty's complete miss on the grounder allows Detroit to tie the game in the top of the 9th.... Seriously. It wasn't that hard of a grounder, he didn't even get in front of the ball.

I bet you Wilson Betemit makes that play and he's not even that great at third base. (probably even Mark Reynolds too but the throw is a different story)...

Not the first time Flaherty has made defensive errors and he is a "defensive replacement" ... aren't defensive replacements supposed to be elite defenders ?

Just another reason why I don't see the point of keeping him around. Maybe he needs to play every day and he would make those kind of plays but he's not cutting it as a part time player so far...

That was a game-ending double play right there. Totally missed it. Ticked me off to no end.

That said, JJ had plenty of chances to get out and he didn't. Got lit up like a Christmas tree. Too many singles and doubles. Team was bailed out by Endy's throw to Wieters. I can't fairly pin the blame on Flaherty, since Johnson gave up three more hits afterward.

But criminy. Make the effing play. I'm still not sold on him being anything more than a Jeff Huson-type player someday. And he's doing a pathetic job of that so far.

This is where Tolleson needs to be in the game, but at this point I don't even know if he's back on the Norfolk yo-yo again. I know Flaherty is a Rule V pick but some point you've got to admit he can't play the game.

I don't know about that but you wonder if he's mature enough as a player to handle the role of utility guy. It's hard to be learning as a hitter and juggling 5 defensive positions at once.

It's probably only a good idea to bring him on as a defensive replacement if we really have to.

I do think, though, that like Melvin Mora he's a guy that could benefit from some consistent ABs and a single position.

Archived