Official-Tejada to Houston

shorebird22

Damn, I go so some yard work for an hour and now Miggy is an Astro!

Go do some more and see if they trade someone else.;)

We got:

Patton and Albers: Their top 2 pitching prospects. Nothing spectacular, but solid.

Costanzo: 3B prospect that they obtained in the Lidge deal. Looks to have great power.

Scott: 30 year old OF with solid OPS production.

Sarfate: Lower level RP prospect with power stuff.

I like the deal. There are also a bunch of people who don't like it and refer to this as "quantity over quality", preferring a "sexy" star (who may not have even been available for Miggy) back over several solid prospects.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe compared to where you're coming from, but the temps have jumped about fifteen degrees in three days around here ;)

Any thought that one (or more) of the teams in the Bedard talks wanted an outfielder more then a shortstop/third baseman and Scott will be flipped? Maybe it gets us Kershaw from LA, or Bruce from Cincinnati?

That'd be pretty cool if one or two of these Astros guys would help us out in a Bedard or Roberts deal.

It was great to see Miggy for his 4 years here. He was a joy to watch. Unfortunately, I think his tenure will be remembered more so for what could've been. It's sad with all the promise we showed in 2004 and 2005 that it had to end this way.:(

Scott has less than two seasons of service time so he still has a lot of time left under the O's contro. He could be a big part of the 2010/11 teams, despite his age.

And Patton's WHIP was very, very good.

I think this was an okay deal in the end and could be upgraded to good soon if we can package one or two guys in with Bedard or Roberts to get something great back for them.

At the very least, if we don't flip Scott to the LAD's or the Cubs, we upgrade LF from .660 OPS to .850+, and deepen our SP. Not a bad deal IMO, just not a sexy one.

Couldn't of said it better. A lot of people won't like this deal because it wasn't "sexy" as you said, but it is a very good baseball deal and we got 4 good prospects and a solid MLer in return. Good job MacPhail!

I remember when signing Tejada, it was supposed to be the first of many moves that would allow us to compete with the big boys. Since then, we've lost out every time we've made a bid on someone and entered each season with little hope of competing. I don't know much about the five guys we are getting but from what I read, it sounds like there is no impact player, either now of even eventaully. So, we are getting rid of Tejada and aren't getting anyone that will help us much in return. Saving 12 million a year for what? I like McPhail and really feel that without the steroids, Tejada was a defensive liability that would hit about 20 hrs and get about 90 rbi. So, no big deal losing him. But, I think I'd rather have traded him for a couple of guys that have impact potential down the road. We have enough average major league players already, why add five more?

Also, a terrible lineup just got much worse. Anyone gonna go to Camden Yards next year?

At the very least, if we don't flip Scott to the LAD's or the Cubs, we upgrade LF from .660 OPS to .850+, and deepen our SP. Not a bad deal IMO, just not a sexy one.

Exactly my opinion too. We needed depth of pitching, and that's what we got. We needed a better LFer, and thats what we got. He's 30, and people act like he's eligible for Medicare. We also got a young bat who seemingly has nice power, and a power bullpen arm.

Go do some more and see if they trade someone else.;)

We got:

Patton and Albers: Their top 2 pitching prospects. Nothing spectacular, but solid.

Costanzo: 3B prospect that they obtained in the Lidge deal. Looks to have great power.

Scott: 30 year old OF with solid OPS production.

Sarfate: Lower level RP prospect with power stuff.

I like the deal. There are also a bunch of people who don't like it and refer to this as "quantity over quality", preferring a "sexy" star (who may not have even been available for Miggy) back over several solid prospects.

Thanks for the info FLK. I have to finish the leaves this afternoon, so maybe by the time I'm done, another deal will go down!

"That is 27 years of controlled salary for 2. Even if the O's get half of those years at even league average production they win huge."

Got this from a post in the comments on mlbtraderumors, and I totaly agree with it. Something you should definatley think about before judging the trade.

USA Today/Sports Weekly did an organizational report on the Astros today. Here a few tidbits:

3B Mike Costanzo: Costanzo, acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies in the Michael Bourn deal this offseason, should be ready to advance to Class AAA in 2008. The 24-year-old hit .270 with 27 home runs at Reading (Pa.P last season, the third most among Class AA players.

This last season was a solid bounce-back year after he had 14 home runs at high-A Clearwater (Fla.) in 2006. His 157 strikeouts this season were high, but he appears to be developing the power to more than make up for a tendency to swing and miss.

LHP Troy Patton: Patton, who has a 94-mph fastball, made his debut in the majors in August and made three appearances before being shut down with a biceps injury. In 24 start5s at Class AA and AAA, Patton, 22, went 10-8 with a 3.51 ERA. Patton's modest numbers were among the Astros' top minor league performances in a year.

Manager Cecil Cooper said last week that he expects Patton to be a candidate for the rotation when spring training begins.

I love this haul of close to ML ready talent. All five guys are on the brink of being on the major league club. What more could you ask for Tejada? Pie in the sky wishes aside.;)

Yea this doesn't thrill me. What are we going to do with all these guys? Scott is a servicable outfielder, but not exactly what we should have in mind for our future. And do we really need another 3-4-5 guy in Albers? Don't we have enough in Olson, Liz, Cabrera, Penn, etc? I wouldn't mind seeing Albers in the pen. Costanzo is old for his level, and not a great prospect.

I just don't see one player here that really fits into a future starting lineup or rotation. Patton could be the exception.

Um, has anyone noticed the similarity between Tejada's and Scott's numbers last year when scott is projected to the same no. of ABs? Except for AVG, they are pretty close in stats and in age, granted Scott is at a less premium position.

ABs R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS

Tejada 514 72 152 19 1 18 81 2 1 41 55 .296 .357 .442 799

Scott 514 68 130 39 6 25 89 4 1 74 132 .255 .351 .504 855

Did I mention we also got FOUR other almost major league ready players in the deal?..........................

Yea this doesn't thrill me. What are we going to do with all these guys? Scott is a servicable outfielder, but not exactly what we should have in mind for our future. And do we really need another 3-4-5 guy in Albers? Don't we have enough in Olson, Liz, Cabrera, Penn, etc? I wouldn't mind seeing Albers in the pen. Costanzo is old for his level, and not a great prospect.

I just don't see one player here that really fits into a future starting lineup or rotation. Patton could be the exception.

If your correct, and I can't dispute you, how can this deal not be considered any less than a disappointment?

You know what, I thought about it some more, and this trade is warming to me. Even if neither Patton nor Costanzo pan out, we're still shedding some salary here. And if that means we can draft who we want to next year and sign him, then I'm all for it.

Archived