Official-Tejada to Houston

shorebird22

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have taken Pie in the sky.

Diggety, you make a good point about our not getting a SS. had we gotten Everett, that w/have been depressing because that w/have been our SS this year.Now-you're right-we could get Hu.

Wickedwitch, what makes you think we'll get anything much for Roberts? Can you guess why?

Ok, maybe this isn't a terrible trade. Upon further review, I'll upgrade my assessment to c-minus for now. There IS an opportunity for some of the guys to improve. And it's also true that there is the possibility that some of thesde guys may be that sweetener that's needed in a bigger trade which nets us those impact players this deal didn't.

Thanks for the info FLK. I have to finish the leaves this afternoon, so maybe by the time I'm done, another deal will go down!

If they make a deal while you finish the leaves, maybe you should come over here and do mine tomorrow...you know, to promote another deal...;)

I don't get it.

Why is this a good deal? And don't tell me salary dump, we could afford Tejada's salaray.

If this is how it works then we need to package Luis Hernandez, Fiorintino, Penn, and Majewski and get Manny from the Sox...

Im not trying to be an ass, can someone explain it to me?

I just want to quickly add how excited I am that Costanzo was involved in this deal! He is a power hitter all the way and has a good arm at third base to boot. Between Moore and himself, he is easily the better third base prospect. I'm also sure he's excited to be with an organization that is close to his home in Pennsylvania and a very supportive family that attended nearly all of his games last season. This is a very worthwhile trade for the Orioles!

I don't get it.

Why is this a good deal? And don't tell me salary dump, we could afford Tejada's salaray.

If this is how it works then we need to package Luis Hernandez, Fiorintino, Penn, and Majewski and get Manny from the Sox...

Im not trying to be an ass, can someone explain it to me?

I don't know a whole lot about the guys we got, but I think they're much better than non-prospects like L.Hernandez, Fiorentino, and Majewski. None of the new guys are potential superstars, but you're selling them short.

If your correct, and I can't dispute you, how can this deal not be considered any less than a disappointment?

Just not having Tejada and his iron glove at short is going to help this team a great deal defensively and the pitching. As for losing his offense he wasn't that much of a clutch hitter anyway and without juicing his power has declined.

Not a deal to get that excited about but he had to go anyway or switch positions. It isn't going to change the outcome of the Oriole next season anyway, but possibly could down the road in a year or two, maybe!;)

I just want to quickly add how excited I am that Costanzo was involved in this deal! He is a power hitter all the way and has a good arm at third base to boot. Between Moore and himself, he is easily the better third base prospect. I'm also sure he's excited to be with an organization that is close to his home in Pennsylvania and a very supportive family that attended nearly all of his games last season. This is a very worthwhile trade for the Orioles!

Mike, do you know anything about his glove? By his age, I'm assuming he went to a four year school prior to pro ball. What school? If his glove is as promising as his power, he could be interesting. His age scares me. If he doesn't make it until '09, I'm assuming he'll be 26 by then.

Now that we traded Tejada and did not get a SS back I am almost positive that we are going to be getting Hu in a Dodgers deal.

Everyone should have sighed in relief that Everett did not come in the deal, as that almost certainly mean that the O's are shopping for a young SS. Hu? I can't say - but it does look more likely.

I think Patton was the key to this deal. The guy just turned 22 and has pitched in the bigs with some success in very limited innings. His MiL totals are very strong. He doesn't project as an ace, but we were never going to get an ace for Tejada anyways. He could fit in nicely in the future rotation behind Loewen and Guthrie as a #3. Or if we get a stud SP for Bedard, he could be our future #4. And a very good one at that. If Cabrera comes around, Patton would be a fantastic #5.

And I realize the O's "could afford" Tejada, but that doesn't mean it was in our best interest to be paying him. Think of it this way. We just traded 13m of salary for about 3mil (Not sure what Scott is going to make next year.) So that's 10 extra million dollars we have each of the next two years to throw at otherwise unsignable draft picks.

You know what, I thought about it some more, and this trade is warming to me. Even if neither Patton nor Costanzo pan out, we're still shedding some salary here. And if that means we can draft who we want to next year and sign him, then I'm all for it.

If we need to get rid of Tejada to sign draft picks, how in the world will we ever compete with the RedSox and Yankees? Come on! We aren't Tampa Bay!

June 17th, 18th, 19th. Houston @ Camden. Cancer causing baby killer or not, Miggy gave us his all while he was here, and we should show that we appreciate what he did for us. I'll be there.

Back on topic, it sounds like most folks are a bit upset with what we got in return. I don't know these guys, but really, what could we expect based on the year Miggy had last year? We should be more upset about the fact that we didn't trade him sooner, when his value was actually decent.

Archived