Official-Tejada to Houston

shorebird22

Mike, do you know anything about his glove? By his age, I'm assuming he went to a four year school prior to pro ball. What school? If his glove is as promising as his power, he could be interesting. His age scares me. If he doesn't make it until '09, I'm assuming he'll be 26 by then.

According to BBReference, he had 34 errors in 130+ games at third base last year.

Now, I'm not going to pretend like I know all of the ways defense develops, and I do know errors aren't overly important, but that sounds like an awful lot.

(Of course, there's no "E" in his last name, so no Jose "OffEEEEEEEEE...rman" jokes :002_scry:)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone tell me why we made a deal of almost all pitching?

Isn't pitching still our strength?

Isn't pitching the most expensive thing on the market? Plus look at the value being tossed around regarding pitchers being traded.

The more the merrier in my opinion.

Mike, do you know anything about his glove? By his age, I'm assuming he went to a four year school prior to pro ball. What school? If his glove is as promising as his power, he could be interesting. His age scares me. If he doesn't make it until '09, I'm assuming he'll be 26 by then.

He attended Coastal Carolina where he hit 45 home runs total in three seasons. From what I remember from this past season in Double-A Reading, his glove was adequate but it was really his arm that impressed myself and a lot of other observers.

According to BBReference, he had 34 errors in 130+ games at third base last year.

Now, I'm not going to pretend like I know all of the ways defense develops, and I do know errors aren't overly important, but that sounds like an awful lot.

(Of course, there's no "E" in his last name, so no Jose "OffEEEEEEEEE...rman" jokes :002_scry:)

You could always go with MikEEEEEEEEEEE Costanzo. :D

If we need to get rid of Tejada to sign draft picks, how in the world will we ever compete with the RedSox and Yankees? Come on! We aren't Tampa Bay!

The Yankees are the ONLY team that spends on the draft without any restrictions whatsoever. They are the ONLY team that will draft the best available player and sign him at all costs. (The Tigers too sometimes, but not always). We are not the Yankees. We're not poor, but we're not the Yankees. The only reason Wieters fell to us this year was because the 5 teams ahead of us were afraid of the price tag. Trading Tejada (hopefully) makes us that much more willing to do something similar next year with the 4th pick. and even our 2nd rounder as well. Unless you have unlimited budget, it is always a good thing to shed salary.

Did anyone else see this quote from Patton? I saw it on the ESPN.com article.

"It's true," Patton told the Houston Chronicle. "It's kind of really disappointing, honestly."

Do you think that's about being traded in general or about him having to come here or what?

Do you think that's about being traded in general or about him having to come here or what?

This is being discussed in the other thread.

Really we don't know. Kurt Ainsworth made similar remarks after the Ponson trade, but that was sadness over leaving San Fran, not sadness over coming to Baltimore.

Maybe we will find out.

I assume that if Miggy could have been put into a larger context trade he would have been. I'm not one for trading quality for quantity, but this does help in stocking an organization that is lacking prospects. Miggy need to go, the timing is NOT ironic, we get some pitchers with potential, and we lose some $$ off the payroll. I really think MacPhail did just fine.....what is reality is that Miggy just is not worth what we would like. I'm happy he's gone.....fair or not he represented an era with the O's that just did not work. When he went on the DL and Trembley took over, the O's thrived. Not saying that were stronger because of his absence, but but certainly were stronger in his absence. Next trade please....

No, Patton is a Houston local. I think he is from Magnolia, Texas. Grew up his entire life watching Astros baseball. The few times I talked to him a couple of seasons ago, he is very methodical and not so much a Danny CaBBrera gunslinger-type. Even back then, he was psyched to be in his favorite team's system. I understand him being upset.

This is being discussed in the other thread.

Oh. I didn't look in the other thread since that said report and this one said official. Sorry about that.

But I would like to know more about that quote, but right now it sounds like he's just upset about leaving the Astros and would feel that way about being traded anywhere.

The more I think about this trade, here is a potential post I could see on the Hangout in 10 years...

Subject: Tejada trade revisited

"Do you remember that time the Astros fleeced us with Glenn Davis for Schilling, Finley, and Harnisch? We got 'em back with Tejada."

Oh. I didn't look in the other thread since that said report and this one said official. Sorry about that.

But I would like to know more about that quote, but right now it sounds like he's just upset about leaving the Astros and would feel that way about being traded anywhere.

Oh no need to be sorry, I was just saying there was more talk there to.

Hopefully more will come out, as of now its just a small quote in a big article.

Archived