Official-Tejada to Houston

shorebird22

The more I think about this trade, here is a potential post I could see on the Hangout in 10 years...

Subject: Tejada trade revisited

"Do you remember that time the Astros fleeced us with Glenn Davis for Schilling, Finley, and Harnisch? We got 'em back with Tejada."

At the same time it could be the opposite. Astros win the World Series, Miggy MVP :D .

I hope for his sake thats true. I mean this year anyway, its not like we are contenders quite yet.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Patton is a Houston local. I think he is from Magnolia, Texas. Grew up his entire life watching Astros baseball. The few times I talked to him a couple of seasons ago, he is very methodical and not so much a Danny CaBBrera gunslinger-type. Even back then, he was psyched to be in his favorite team's system. I understand him being upset.

By the way....

I REALLY like this trade! We got both QUANTITY and QUALITY. Luke Scott may not have eye-popping numbers, but they are incredibly similar to Nick's numbers minus the BA. Plus he is actually a defensive outfielder, so we won't have to trot that waste of baseball talent Jay Gibbons on the field. EVER. That alone makes this deal worthwhile.

Then we get a solid bit of depth at third behind Mora and Moore, while getting quality in the two pitchers for the future... maybe not this year, but '09 is gonna be ridiculous.

LOEWEN

GUTHRIE

LIZ

PATTON

PENN/OLSON/CABBRERA/SPOONE/HERNANDEZ/ I think you get the point

I would bet that our rotation in a few years will also include two players that we acquire for Bedard and Roberts. With pitchers knocking on the door, trade possibilities are limitless. I like that when AM plans to rebuild, he isn't limiting himself to three players in December of 2007.

The O's looks like they received a leftfielder and a possible relief pitcher plus three guys that should start a AAA in Patton, Costanzo and Albers. A lefthanded starter in Patton with the upside to be a #2 or #3 is a valuable pitcher. That equates to acquiring a lefthanded Guthrie.

Costanzo was a 2nd round draft of the Phillies. He should have potential though he still need some time to develop it.

The other thing that the O's did achieve is freeing up $26M over the next two years. That also has value.

The O's need to find a SS for their long term plans since Miggy is gone.

People that were saying, No Everett should be very happy.

Patton looks like he could start for us next year. Scott in LF. No Miggy. At least we can say the team is a little younger and we are filling out our prospect list. Just getting rid of Miggy will give this team a whole new feel.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to where the young guys would appear on the OH Top 30 prospect list? Patton would be in our top 10?

The throw away in this deal appears to be Sarfate. Age and minor league numbers not good.

I like this deal. Scott will help out now. He's not a guy who'll have a really long MLB career, but over the time the O's have him locked up he'll probably be a great deal for the salary.

The three pitchers seem to be a nice mix of buying low, potential, and project. Patton seems best-regarded, Albers is kind of another good prospect/poor MLB results like Hayden Penn, and Sarfete seems to be a converted starter with good stuff but shaky command.

And Costanzo has to be one of our top 3-4 position prospects. He's basically the only guy in the whole system who's young and has produced with the bat above low A.

No killer, A+ prospects, but this adds a ton of depth to a middling developmental organization. And any of these guys could contribute to the Orioles as soon as 2008.

Can someone tell me why we made a deal of almost all pitching?

Isn't pitching still our strength?

It may be our strength, but just in comparison to our other weaknesses, in my opinion. I think our pitching is getting better, but you never know what might happen, and having too many pitchers just means you have more valuable chips to trade with.

But I think we're still a good way from having "too many pitchers". This year will be interesting to see who develops and who doesn't.

I'm happy with what we got and look forward to all the analysis to follow.

By the way....

I REALLY like this trade! We got both QUANTITY and QUALITY. Luke Scott may not have eye-popping numbers, but they are incredibly similar to Nick's numbers minus the BA. Plus he is actually a defensive outfielder, so we won't have to trot that waste of baseball talent Jay Gibbons on the field. EVER. That alone makes this deal worthwhile.

I hope you are right about Scott.

Comparing him to Kakes is no good, Scott is freaking 29. Hopefully hes a late bloomer!

I like this deal. Scott will help out now. He's not a guy who'll have a really long MLB career, but over the time the O's have him locked up he'll probably be a great deal for the salary.

The three pitchers seem to be a nice mix of buying low, potential, and project. Patton seems best-regarded, Albers is kind of another good prospect/poor MLB results like Hayden Penn, and Sarfete seems to be a converted starter with good stuff but shaky command.

And Costanzo has to be one of our top 3-4 position prospects. He's basically the only guy in the whole system who's young and has produced with the bat above low A.

No killer, A+ prospects, but this adds a ton of depth to a middling developmental organization. And any of these guys could contribute to the Orioles as soon as 2008.

I second Drungo on this. He makes some good points.

I tend to agree with Jon.

The knee jerk reaction here is to say "EW" because we didn't get any slam dunks in return, but most of the deals we come up with on this board are "the moon."

Are we positive that we're not paying any salary back to Houston?

FWIW, the hosts and the guest I've heard on xm175 for the past hour have stopped just short of saying that HOU got raped in this deal. They're basically saying that 1) Miggi is not a good fielder, 2) where are they going to play him? 3) they gave up too much and 4) his numbers are declining

I hope you are right about Scott.

Comparing him to Kakes is no good, Scott is freaking 29. Hopefully hes a late bloomer!

Well, I just meant his numbers, not so much by his age. Kakes will be better, by a lot, but as psyched as everyone was about his season this year, imagine having a very similar season on the other corner, while Kakes continues to grow.

I could also see Patton in the rotation this year. Danny better have his game arm ready by spring training.

What is the reaction for The Astro's fan sites? Do they like it? hate it? My one buddy just called me and said one fan site he saw had fans in an uproar over losing Patton

Yeah, I think he's from texas as well, which could explain why he's disappointed to be leaving

Well, I just meant his numbers, not so much by his age. Kakes will be better, by a lot, but as psyched as everyone was about his season this year, imagine having a very similar season on the other corner, while Kakes continues to grow.

I could also see Patton in the rotation this year. Danny better have his game arm ready by spring training.

Plus, as scary as this is going to sound, Scott may have more protection in our lineup than he did in Houston.

Archived