I'm just tired

SilentJames

Most intelligent Orioles fans jumped ship well before the All-star break. No' date=' I'm not insulting anyone as even the optimist surely saw what the rest of us saw, they just chose to ignore it and instead believe in whatever possible numbers or reasons they could hold onto in order to stay positive about our immediate future.

But again, it's not just the way WE are playing. It's the division we are in, the teams we face over the next 81 games and the fact that we are, in fact, the Baltimore Orioles.

It has nothing to do with one game.[/quote']

So I'm an idiot for being optimistic? Thanks... I appreciate it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew this was going to happen so I am not that bummed. I just hope they can stay above .500 but even that is looking like it won't happen. I will say this, if we don't have a winning record and the Pirates finish with one, the Orioles will finally earn something they have deserved for a long time...the longest running losing streak in baseball and one of the longest in baseball history.

I've seen very few people come through the OH who celebrate[d] the Orioles' failings. And simply posting here at all sort of belies the idea that anyone's "jumping ship." Everyone wants to see the team do well.

As it happens, though, the team has been struggling for weeks. This thread (and threads like it) is not the product of a single game at the start of the season's second half. It's the predictable side-effect of witnessing what seems to be the team's reversion to...less-than-stellar, full-season results.

Add in 14 straight years of sub .500 records, 2005, we are 6-14 (.300) in our last 20 games, and by looking at a ridiculously poor lineup that bats a .260 OBP guy second and 41-year old guy who was a pinch hitter for Philadelphia as our number three batter, and the smart fan knows it's more than just one game.

It's not a question of if we are going to implode, we have been imploding over the last 20 games. We are already in the free fall and when you look at the this lineup and rotation (especially if Hammel goes out for any extended time), and it's going to be a long brutal second half. this isn't a rant, and it's not reactionary, it's just the cold hard facts.

Add in 14 straight years of sub .500 records, 2005, we are 6-14 (.300) in our last 20 games, and by looking at a ridiculously poor lineup that bats a .260 OBP guy second and 41-year old guy who was a pinch hitter for Philadelphia as our number three batter, and the smart fan knows it's more than just one game.

It's not a question of if we are going to implode, we have been imploding over the last 20 games. We are already in the free fall and when you look at the this lineup and rotation (especially if Hammel goes out for any extended time), and it's going to be a long brutal second half. this isn't a rant, and it's not reactionary, it's just the cold hard facts.

In total agreement here. I definitely haven't been watching as closely. (The second half of last night's game I took a walk with my wife and scanned Petfinder to help the in-laws get a new dog [just had to put one down]). It's that odd level that a lot of us have become accustomed to. We know they're losing and will likely continue to. We're mostly cognizant of the specific reasons for it, and are back into that general ambivalence that we assume when the S has hit the fan and there's not much left to look forward to. When we hope, "Maybe next year, but probably not." Not only are they .300 over the last 20 games, but .400 over the last 45 games (18-27). Some were feeling .400 for the course of this season. I had hoped for better than that; any fan always does. At this point, though, maybe .400 ball is all they play, though I hope they do better than that. After all, it's the Orioles. It's what we expect. It's what we know.

If the base of this team is going to be pitching and defense, we need to find a way to get Chris Davis out of the field. That was the main reason why I thought Thome was a waste of a trade...we already have a DH.

I think we should let Flaherty play third against right-handed pitching and let Betemit play first. Put Reynolds at first against lefties and bring Tolleson up as the utility guy who can play third against righties. We could then find a platoon for left field...I'm thinking Avery/Hoes.

Lineup would look like this:

Markakis - RF

Betemit/Andino - 1B/2B

Wieters - C

Jones - CF

Davis - DH

Hardy - SS

Reynolds/Tolleson 1B/3B

Andino/Flaherty 2B/3B

Avery/Hoes LF

This lineup would be much better defensively and you'd have better matchups than we have now.

Acquiring Thome has to be the biggest "lose" for Duquette up to now.

I am on record as predicting a losing season during spring training. I have no problem recognizing that the team is and has been playing very poorly over an extended time now. I fully understand why people are worried that there will be a second half collapse. My problem with these threads is simply their redundancy. A new one saying the same thing after each loss. That's why I view them as Rants/Reactionary. It seems like pure venting to me. I have chosen to look at this season as being like "found money" in an old pair of pants. I didn't expect it, so I'm going to enjoy it as long as possible. I know these threads will continue, so I will just do my best to ignore them in favor of more substantive threads and will not be responding to them anymore. Starting now.

You know. I'm quoting this only as an example of something bigger.

What has lead to my tiredness more than anything is the divide among fans on the net and this board especially.

The great start divided the board into two camps. To use the vernacular of the board: lollipoppers and debbie downers.

Of course being remotely positive about anything involving this team means you are a lollipopper. I know I get accused of this at least once a week.

Then there are the downers who have been awaiting this struggle all year. He'll they have almost been rooting for it. In April the line was that 12 game road trip through NY and BOS. Then after the Texas debacle they tried to bury the team. Then it was interleague. And now, to their seeming delight, their faith and hard work seems to be paying off.

Please forgive me for finally breaking. Hammel going down really hurt. Watching JJ Hardy evaporate before my eyes is becoming just to hard to watch right now.

This little comment right here is evidence of that divide. Im not going to sit here and deny my hipsterism, I do live in Remington and have a beard after all, but what exactly does that have to do with anything?

This team has finally gotten me down, the lowest I have been since 2005. I can tell myself it is going to get better but I have seen this team redefine the phrase "worst case scenario" too many times in my life to think otherwise. Even when it seems like the stars are aligning for this team. The combined mediocrity of the entire American League simply holding the door open some cosmic power comes along and reminds the Orioles who they are.

But yes, its being a hipster that makes me tired. I have to go to bed now, I have a banjo lesson in the morning and I have to go work and the vintage t-shirt / fresh produce co-op and my friends' band is playing the Golden West, a tribute to Blanche from the Golden Girls as interpreted through cello and drum machines, so I'm booked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Chill Win-ston. Its just a joke. Roll the cut-off jorts down a little and relax. :D

It's also not true. Many of us are neither overly-optimistic or overly-pessimistic. There's a place for realism.

Yea I was going to say that dichotomy is oversimplistic and false. The two supposed camps of posters exist more in the story that James filters reality through rather than reality itself.

The breaking point seems strange to me, as most people could see this turn of events as not only possible but more probable than a continued playoff run. Of course, fandom is often more emotional than rational so I guess now's as good a time as any.

Archived