Appel doesn't sign - goes back to Stanford

Wow. That sucks for the Pirates. And for Appel, turning down 3.8M is very risky.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8164488/mark-appel-spurns-pittsburgh-pirates-stay-stanford

Even if he still ranks high in the draft class the next time around, his demands will probably higher than they were this season or he could totally bust and thank Boras for his consultations. Any team drafting that should draft him will probably eat away at their entire draft pool. Won't he be a senior next year? Have fun in the independent leagues or Japan!

I don't think anybody choosing to get a degree from Stanford is stupid/greedy/bad names. I haven't heard one person same the same about Andrew Luck, so I think the anger is misplaced.

He could have accepted 6 million from the Astros (allegedly). Pretty sure that will cover a year at Stanford if he wants to finish up later.

He could have accepted 6 million from the Astros (allegedly). Pretty sure that will cover a year at Stanford if he wants to finish up later.

I'm not sure what that proves. That even more money wasn't enough to dissuade him from returning to college? As I stated, Andrew Luck made the same decision was generally praised.

I'm not sure what that proves. That even more money wasn't enough to dissuade him from returning to college? As I stated, Andrew Luck made the same decision was generally praised.

I don't follow college football so I can't speak to Luck. My guess is that the folks praising him did so because they rooted for his team or college football in general not because they thought it was a good move for him professionally.

Archived