Anyone else a little worried about Jim Johnson?

Flash- bd

Don't you think the fact that we can recall every blown save he's had this season, how, who, when, he's getting alittle bit too much criticism?

The criticism is future-oriented. If you ask me to sign a document saying I'll take JJ's performance this year so far (in terms of results) every single year after I would bite your hand off to sign it. The catch is that JJ's results aren't sustainable based on his current performance. But like I said: "No one said his rate this year wasn't good or even fantastic." In fact, I'll go ahead and say it: the results JJ has given us this year have been fantastic.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The criticism is future-oriented. If you ask me to sign a document saying I'll take JJ's performance this year so far (in terms of results) every single year after I would bite your hand off to sign it. The catch is that JJ's results aren't sustainable based on his current performance. But like I said: "No one said his rate this year wasn't good or even fantastic." In fact, I'll go ahead and say it: the results JJ has given us this year have been fantastic.

If he gets the save, does it matter how? JJ reminds me of Bob Wickman, with better stuff.

No, just unremarkable. He's not Rivera. He's fine for now and for as long as his cost is reasonable.

So he's not human? Did you expect him to be a HOFer? Do you know how many closers are in the HOF? He's better then anything else we got, he's the best closer we've had in many years, and he's better then 95% of the closers today <---low balling!

So he's not human? Did you expect him to be a HOFer? Do you know how many closers are in the HOF? He's better then anything else we got, he's the best closer we've had in many years, and he's better then 95% of the closers today <---low balling!

Back in the Nationals series in Baltimore I noticed he was having some command problems. He made a great play that ended the first game (line drive comebacker) and in the finale there was a strike out throw out DP which kind of bailed him out of trouble. I've noticed the command issues come up every now and again. Obviously his ERA has ballooned and I think we've seen more walks than usual from him.

I don't look at JJ and see Hoffman or Percival or Rivera or anything particularly "special" about him that makes me go "ooh". He's fine. He pleasant enough, and we certainly have no better options at this point in time. But keep in mind we've also had guys who were similar (best options we had at the time, solid folks etc.) like Chris Ray and BJ Ryan. Guys who basically fell apart after being solid at closer. So going forward we should just keep this in mind when evaluating Johnson.

I ball was hit right at Reynolds, but over his head, if he catches it, it's a DP.

It was way over his head--he did leap and lunge at it and didn't come close. You also seem to forget that it was a very good play by the same Reynolds that got Johnson his first out. The A's got lucky with some really hard high hops twice. It happens, although it is teams with speed that can take advantage of it more often.

Buck's insistence on Socolovich in the sixth is what blew the game.

Back in the Nationals series in Baltimore I noticed he was having some command problems. He made a great play that ended the first game (line drive comebacker) and in the finale there was a strike out throw out DP which kind of bailed him out of trouble. I've noticed the command issues come up every now and again. Obviously his ERA has ballooned and I think we've seen more walks than usual from him.

I don't look at JJ and see Hoffman or Percival or Rivera or anything particularly "special" about him that makes me go "ooh". He's fine. He pleasant enough, and we certainly have no better options at this point in time. But keep in mind we've also had guys who were similar (best options we had at the time, solid folks etc.) like Chris Ray and BJ Ryan. Guys who basically fell apart after being solid at closer. So going forward we should just keep this in mind when evaluating Johnson.

I'd like you to show me one time, where I said he was anything close to Hoffman, Rivera, Percival, or any of the ELITE closers! He is having a great season, he is one of the best closers this season. That doesn't mean he will be next year, or the year after that. We're just talking about right here and now.

I'd like you to show me one time, where I said he was anything close to Hoffman, Rivera, Percival, or any of the ELITE closers! He is having a great season, he is one of the best closers this season. That doesn't mean he will be next year, or the year after that. We're just talking about right here and now.

1) I never said that you said he was elite. I have no idea what you've said about Johnson in the past and I'm not going to start looking for it now.

2) You did say he was better than 95% of closers this year. That would make him the 2nd or 3rd best closer in the majors. Rivera's out so we can toss him out of the discussion, but I'd say Rodney and Kimbrel are better and you could make a very good case for Hanrahan and Perez as well. So I would disagree with him being better than 95% of all closers.

3) Right here, right now he's a good enough closer. Not great, not fantastic. He's fine. I don't necessarily want an "elite" closer because they are a waste of money. You're usually better off with a JJ type and putting the saved money somewhere more valuable.

Johnson has given up 15 runs (13 earned) in his last 6 1/3 innings now. His last four appearances, he's gone a total of three innings and given up seven runs on 10 hits. His ERA was 1.24 on July 4th, and is now 3.71 this morning. Something needs fixing.

I'm a huge Pedro Strop fan, but up until about the last couple of weeks, I'd take Johnson every time because of his consistency. Strop has been dominant almost as often as JJ, but not nearly with the same consistency. But right now, Johnson is leaving everything over the plate and getting raked. He's not walking people. He's just getting hit hard. Whatever went wrong, I'm certain it's fixable. Now that just needs to happen.

I didn't see last nights game, but the last game against Cleveland I thought his fastball didn't have much movement. Maybe it was just me. The velocity was high, but it didn't seem to move at all. Anyone else notice that. Or was it the camera angle in Cleveland

I wouldn't say he is better then BJ Ryan was in 2005.

Of course he also isn't better then 95% of closers today, since with 30 teams you are basically saying that JJ is one of the two best closers in the game. I guess if you include the closers for all the minor league affiliates the 95% number makes sense...

Archived